28 December 2015, 10:22
Patriarch Kirill could visit Cuba in February
Moscow, December 28, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia is planning to visit Cuba in February 2016.
"The visit by His Holiness the Patriarch to the Island of Freedom in February next year will become an important step in solidifying the relations between the Russian Church and the Cuban authorities, as well as the people of our countries. These relations have traditionally been of a friendly nature," the chairman of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk was quoted by Synodal Information Department as having said.
The primate of the Russian Church has been repeatedly invited by Cuban leaders to visit their country, the hierarch said. Cuban leader Raul Castro was the first foreign head of state to have met with Patriarch Kirill after the latter's enthronization. The patriarch already visited Cuba in 2008, when he was head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations, and met with the Cuban leaders and public figures.
"However, this will be his first visit as patriarch," the metropolitan said.
In 2016 the patriarch is also planning to visit Mount Athos to lead the festivities on the occasion of the millennium of Russian monks' presence on the Holy mountain, he said.
Furthermore, Patriarch Kirill has received a letter from Patriarch Neophyte of Bulgaria inviting him to attend the canonization of Archbishop Seraphim (Sobolev) of Boguchar, a prominent representative of the Russian religious emigre community, who is buried at a Russian church in Sofia.
"If this canonization takes place, then on February 26, 2016, on the day of archbishop Seraphim's death, His Holiness might visit the Bulgarian capital to attend the joint festivities of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church on the occasion of honoring the new saint," the hierarch said.
There are also plans for other foreign trips, but the format and the dates of these have yet to be confirmed, he said.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14