18 January 2016, 10:00
Jehovah's Witnesses file lawsuit against Vyborg customs that seized their holy books at border
St. Petersburg, January 18, Interfax - The 'Administrative Center for Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia has filed a lawsuit with the St. Petersburg and Leningrad Region Arbitration Court against Russia's Vyborg Customs that had blocked a number of holy books from entering the country, the religious organization's press service told.
"The books were acquired abroad and presented as a gift to Russian fellow worshippers by the religious community of German Jehovah's Witnesses. The books were refused entrance on the grounds of failure to present 'any documents to certify observation of the restrictions' set forth by the Federal Law 'On Counteracting Extremist Activity'," the press service said.
The books were seized at the border back on November 27, 2015.
According to Jehovah's Witnesses, Russian customs did not allow entry into the country with regard to a consignment of Holy Bible copies in an official Russian translation made by the Russian Orthodox Church (the 'Synodal edition'), as well as the 'Study Bible' published by the Russian Bible Society.
"The actions of Customs cause all the more confusion, considering the fact that back in November the Russian president signed a bill to protect holy books, including the Bible, from the effect of the anti-extremist laws," the press service added.
Interfax currently has no commentary available from Customs.
It was reported back in March 2015 that Russia's Northwestern Transport Prosecutors seized over one million brochures brought into Russia for the 'Administrative Center for Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia'. Experts identified some "indicators of containing arguments or justification for citizens' refusal to perform their civic duties, encouragement of non-friendly treatment of people worshipping other religions" in the brochures and then the consignment was arrested.
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22
- Russian Orthodox Church denies coronavirus impact on Patriarch Kirill's foreign travel schedule 13 March 2020, 14:42