27 January 2016, 16:23
Pan-Orthodox Council not to address Ukraine issue, transition to unified calendar
Chambesy, Switzerland, January 27, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia said the issues of all Orthodox churches' transition to a unified calendar will not be on the agenda of the Pan-Orthodox Council scheduled to be held in June.
"It is very important that the calendar issue has been removed from the issues addressed by the Council. It concerned our believers greatly because false rumors were spread that everyone will be required to go over to the new style," Patriarch Kirill told reporters following a visit to Chambesy, Switzerland, where the heads of the Orthodox Churches met to discuss preparations for the Pan-Orthodox Council.
The patriarch recalled that many churches follow the Julian calendar and some follow the Gregorian calendar, "and a decision was made that the calendar issue will not be addressed by the Council to enable every Church to act in accordance with the adopted calendar."
The patriarch also said all documents that have been approved by the heads of the Orthodox churches and that will be addressed by the Council will be published in the very near future.
"Our Church insisted that there should be no embargo on these documents, but that people should be able to become familiar because many critical views on the upcoming Council were formed due to the absence of information. People did not know anything about the Council," he said.
The patriarch also said he expects "a good document on the mission of Orthodox faith in the modern world," and also a document on marriage, family and obstacles to marriage.
Responding to a question as to what he expects from the upcoming Council, the patriarch said: "Even more consolidation of the Orthodox world. I know that the Council will not address the Ukrainian issue, it will not address the possibility of granting autocephaly [to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate] or legalization of the schism, and that has been publicly confirmed by Patriarch [of Constantinople] Bartholomew."
- FSB reports detention of 6 terrorist cell members in Dzhankoi, Yalta 17 August 2022, 12:02
- Almost all the priests of one of the African countries wants to join the Russian Church 16 August 2022, 10:01
- Over 70% of Russians think authorities should be involved in promoting moral climate in society 15 August 2022, 17:28
- Presidents of Russia, Israel agree to continue departmental contacts regarding Jewish Agency for Israel 09 August 2022, 13:49
- Pope Francis holds lengthy meeting with head of Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept 05 August 2022, 16:49
- 'Foreign ministers' of Russian Orthodox Church, Holy See meet in Vatican 04 August 2022, 16:44
- Zelensky tasks PM with considering legalization of same-sex marriages in Ukraine 03 August 2022, 14:38
- Pope to pay visit to Kazakhstan on Sept 13-15 01 August 2022, 13:55
- Kremlin refuses to comment on situation surrounding Jewish Agency for Israel 29 July 2022, 14:48
- Patriarch Kirill describes all Orthodox Ukrainians as children of Russian Orthodox Church 28 July 2022, 22:27
- Russian State Duma speaker says is certain bills banning propaganda of non-traditional values will be adopted 28 July 2022, 11:39
- Russian Church views Patriarch Kirill's ban on entry to Lithuania as abandoning European legal tradition 27 July 2022, 19:28
- Patriarch Kirill banned from entering Lithuania until 2027 27 July 2022, 18:15
- FJCR claims that they have not received notifications about the closure 27 July 2022, 14:25
- The return of Alexander Metochin to Russia outside the competence of the Jewish community – FJCR 27 July 2022, 14:18
- Israel ready for talks with Russia on Jewish Agency situation – PM 27 July 2022, 14:10
- Russian Church doubles the number of its clerics in Africa in seven months 27 July 2022, 11:33
- Situation surrounding Jewish Agency for Israel in Russia should not be politicized - Kremlin 26 July 2022, 17:27
- Russian court asked to declare Tajik Islamic Renaissance Party terrorist organization 25 July 2022, 18:13
- Person behind blast at Orthodox school in Russia's Serpukhov given 13-year term 25 July 2022, 15:47
- Blast rocks church in Syria at its inauguration ceremony 25 July 2022, 11:41
- Orthodox Church of Jerusalem urges West to stop attacks on Patriarch Kirill 22 July 2022, 21:40
- Intention to close down Jewish Agency for Israel in Russia linked not to 'brain drain', but to compliance with Russian laws - Kremlin 22 July 2022, 18:10
- The Federation of Jewish Communities concerned about plans to eliminate Sochnut in Russia 22 July 2022, 18:06
- Tajik president warns of danger of religious extremism ideology 21 July 2022, 17:28
- Russian Justice Ministry's Moscow branch seeks to shut down Jewish Agency for Israel 21 July 2022, 15:40
- Tretyakov Gallery dismisses as 'premature' talk about time of Rublev's Trinity return on permanent display 19 July 2022, 19:39
- Rublev's Trinity icon returned from Trinity Lavra to Tretyakov Gallery with no signs of deterioration 19 July 2022, 16:05
- Bill banning propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 18 July 2022, 16:41
- Rublev's Trinity icon delivered to Trinity Lavra in special climate-controlled display case 18 July 2022, 10:07