08 February 2016, 10:02
Patriarch-pope meeting to benefit Christians in Islamic countries - mufti Tajuddin
Moscow, February 8, Interfax - Talgat Tajuddin, supreme mufti of the Central Spiritual Muslim Board of Russia, believes the upcoming meeting between Patriarch Kirill and Pope Frances will have a positive effect on the fate of Christians across the world.
"On behalf of our country's Muslims, I cordially welcome the decision by the leaders of the two Churches to hold talks because any meeting is a path toward mutual understanding," Tajuddin told Interfax-Religion.
He said he has long known the current Moscow patriarch "as an excellent spiritual leader" who during his time as metropolitan co-founded the Inter-Religious Council of Russia and had previously participated in the work of the World Council of Churches and therefore "possesses rich experience in inter-faith dialogue."
"The kind relations between mainstream religions in Russia set an example for the whole world and the fact that these religions exist is due to the huge role of Patriarch Kirill who had worked to strengthen them during his time as head of the Department for External Church Relations, and particularly as the leader of the Church. The fact that Patriarch Kirill has behind him a huge experience in dialogue will allow him to make this meeting with the pope truly historical and will have a beneficial effect on the situation of Christians and their relations with each other," mufti Tajuddin said.
The subject of persecutions against Christians, which it was stated will be become central at the meeting between the patriarch and the pope was discussed the other day at a religious conference in Morocco, where Tajuddin was among attendees.
"It was said at the forum that Christians and Muslims in Islamic countries have for centuries lived side by side, respecting one another, and today's escalation between them occurred only recently and was artificially brought in by politicians and extremists," the mufti said.
"Politics is politics but the voice of God and the voice of the people must reach the heads of state. I wish success to the meeting between the patriarch and the pope," he said.
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22