08 February 2016, 10:02
Patriarch-pope meeting to benefit Christians in Islamic countries - mufti Tajuddin
Moscow, February 8, Interfax - Talgat Tajuddin, supreme mufti of the Central Spiritual Muslim Board of Russia, believes the upcoming meeting between Patriarch Kirill and Pope Frances will have a positive effect on the fate of Christians across the world.
"On behalf of our country's Muslims, I cordially welcome the decision by the leaders of the two Churches to hold talks because any meeting is a path toward mutual understanding," Tajuddin told Interfax-Religion.
He said he has long known the current Moscow patriarch "as an excellent spiritual leader" who during his time as metropolitan co-founded the Inter-Religious Council of Russia and had previously participated in the work of the World Council of Churches and therefore "possesses rich experience in inter-faith dialogue."
"The kind relations between mainstream religions in Russia set an example for the whole world and the fact that these religions exist is due to the huge role of Patriarch Kirill who had worked to strengthen them during his time as head of the Department for External Church Relations, and particularly as the leader of the Church. The fact that Patriarch Kirill has behind him a huge experience in dialogue will allow him to make this meeting with the pope truly historical and will have a beneficial effect on the situation of Christians and their relations with each other," mufti Tajuddin said.
The subject of persecutions against Christians, which it was stated will be become central at the meeting between the patriarch and the pope was discussed the other day at a religious conference in Morocco, where Tajuddin was among attendees.
"It was said at the forum that Christians and Muslims in Islamic countries have for centuries lived side by side, respecting one another, and today's escalation between them occurred only recently and was artificially brought in by politicians and extremists," the mufti said.
"Politics is politics but the voice of God and the voice of the people must reach the heads of state. I wish success to the meeting between the patriarch and the pope," he said.
- Most of the priests from Africa who joined the Russian Church have already received the right from Moscow to celebrate the liturgy 27 January 2022, 17:07
- Candles lit in Moscow in memory of the Holocaust victims 27 January 2022, 17:00
- Supporters of caliphate are among those detained in Kazakhstan during the January riots 27 January 2022, 16:53
- Holocaust Remembrance Day reinstated at Russian schools 27 January 2022, 10:16
- Russian Church reports a daily increase in the number of its parishes in Africa 26 January 2022, 10:12
- Russian delegation to PACE rejects accusations that LGBT people harassed in Chechnya 25 January 2022, 14:43
- Russian Church tightens coronavirus-related restrictions at Moscow churches 24 January 2022, 17:11
- House of Romanov hails Russian Orthodox Church's plans to recognize authenticity of 'Yekaterinburg remains' 24 January 2022, 10:03
- Nothing hinders recognition of authenticity of royal family's remains - Russian Orthodox Church member 24 January 2022, 10:00
- Christmas parliamentary meetings postponed indefinitely due to coronavirus situation 21 January 2022, 17:53
- Former Metropolitan Vladimir of St. Petersburg died at the age of 92 19 January 2022, 20:35
- Putin didn't take Epiphany ice plunge this year 19 January 2022, 13:35
- State Duma passes bill on life sentence for pedophiles 18 January 2022, 18:18
- Anti-Semitism is on the rise in Germany - Deputy Ambassador 18 January 2022, 18:16
- The head of Yakutia took part in Epiphany bathing in a 40-degree frost 18 January 2022, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill admitted that part of the world Orthodoxy will go into schism 18 January 2022, 18:05
- Death penalty impossible in Russia - State Duma committee head 12 January 2022, 15:46
- Russian Orthodox Church works out a program of comprehensive presence in Africa 12 January 2022, 15:01
- Kazakh president urges preventing merger of criminality, religious extremism 11 January 2022, 11:38
- Russian Orthodox Church against lifting moratorium on death penalty 08 January 2022, 19:27
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Covid-19 pandemic will be over 07 January 2022, 19:28
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Kazakhstan at Christmas service 07 January 2022, 19:26
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about the shortsightedness of politicians who speak to Russia from a position of strength 07 January 2022, 12:59
- Putin notes moral significance of Christmas 07 January 2022, 10:25
- Russian Orthodox Church sets up Patriarchal Exarchate of Africa 30 December 2021, 10:00
- Russian Church admits over 100 Patriarchate of Alexandria clerics as its members (updated) 29 December 2021, 17:56
- Russian govt orders monitoring of violations of citizens' rights along ethnic, religious lines 29 December 2021, 12:23
- Russian Church considers the long-term isolation of criminals no less effective than death penalty 29 December 2021, 11:30
- Russia not to reinstate death penalty in coming years - Presidential Human Rights Council member 29 December 2021, 11:14
- Group for protection of Christian values created at State Duma 29 December 2021, 11:12