08 February 2016, 10:02
Patriarch-pope meeting to benefit Christians in Islamic countries - mufti Tajuddin
Moscow, February 8, Interfax - Talgat Tajuddin, supreme mufti of the Central Spiritual Muslim Board of Russia, believes the upcoming meeting between Patriarch Kirill and Pope Frances will have a positive effect on the fate of Christians across the world.
"On behalf of our country's Muslims, I cordially welcome the decision by the leaders of the two Churches to hold talks because any meeting is a path toward mutual understanding," Tajuddin told Interfax-Religion.
He said he has long known the current Moscow patriarch "as an excellent spiritual leader" who during his time as metropolitan co-founded the Inter-Religious Council of Russia and had previously participated in the work of the World Council of Churches and therefore "possesses rich experience in inter-faith dialogue."
"The kind relations between mainstream religions in Russia set an example for the whole world and the fact that these religions exist is due to the huge role of Patriarch Kirill who had worked to strengthen them during his time as head of the Department for External Church Relations, and particularly as the leader of the Church. The fact that Patriarch Kirill has behind him a huge experience in dialogue will allow him to make this meeting with the pope truly historical and will have a beneficial effect on the situation of Christians and their relations with each other," mufti Tajuddin said.
The subject of persecutions against Christians, which it was stated will be become central at the meeting between the patriarch and the pope was discussed the other day at a religious conference in Morocco, where Tajuddin was among attendees.
"It was said at the forum that Christians and Muslims in Islamic countries have for centuries lived side by side, respecting one another, and today's escalation between them occurred only recently and was artificially brought in by politicians and extremists," the mufti said.
"Politics is politics but the voice of God and the voice of the people must reach the heads of state. I wish success to the meeting between the patriarch and the pope," he said.
- Presidents of Russia, Israel agree to continue departmental contacts regarding Jewish Agency for Israel 09 August 2022, 13:49
- Pope Francis holds lengthy meeting with head of Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept 05 August 2022, 16:49
- 'Foreign ministers' of Russian Orthodox Church, Holy See meet in Vatican 04 August 2022, 16:44
- Zelensky tasks PM with considering legalization of same-sex marriages in Ukraine 03 August 2022, 14:38
- Pope to pay visit to Kazakhstan on Sept 13-15 01 August 2022, 13:55
- Kremlin refuses to comment on situation surrounding Jewish Agency for Israel 29 July 2022, 14:48
- Patriarch Kirill describes all Orthodox Ukrainians as children of Russian Orthodox Church 28 July 2022, 22:27
- Russian State Duma speaker says is certain bills banning propaganda of non-traditional values will be adopted 28 July 2022, 11:39
- Russian Church views Patriarch Kirill's ban on entry to Lithuania as abandoning European legal tradition 27 July 2022, 19:28
- Patriarch Kirill banned from entering Lithuania until 2027 27 July 2022, 18:15
- FJCR claims that they have not received notifications about the closure 27 July 2022, 14:25
- The return of Alexander Metochin to Russia outside the competence of the Jewish community – FJCR 27 July 2022, 14:18
- Israel ready for talks with Russia on Jewish Agency situation – PM 27 July 2022, 14:10
- Russian Church doubles the number of its clerics in Africa in seven months 27 July 2022, 11:33
- Situation surrounding Jewish Agency for Israel in Russia should not be politicized - Kremlin 26 July 2022, 17:27
- Russian court asked to declare Tajik Islamic Renaissance Party terrorist organization 25 July 2022, 18:13
- Person behind blast at Orthodox school in Russia's Serpukhov given 13-year term 25 July 2022, 15:47
- Blast rocks church in Syria at its inauguration ceremony 25 July 2022, 11:41
- Orthodox Church of Jerusalem urges West to stop attacks on Patriarch Kirill 22 July 2022, 21:40
- Intention to close down Jewish Agency for Israel in Russia linked not to 'brain drain', but to compliance with Russian laws - Kremlin 22 July 2022, 18:10
- The Federation of Jewish Communities concerned about plans to eliminate Sochnut in Russia 22 July 2022, 18:06
- Tajik president warns of danger of religious extremism ideology 21 July 2022, 17:28
- Russian Justice Ministry's Moscow branch seeks to shut down Jewish Agency for Israel 21 July 2022, 15:40
- Tretyakov Gallery dismisses as 'premature' talk about time of Rublev's Trinity return on permanent display 19 July 2022, 19:39
- Rublev's Trinity icon returned from Trinity Lavra to Tretyakov Gallery with no signs of deterioration 19 July 2022, 16:05
- Bill banning propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 18 July 2022, 16:41
- Rublev's Trinity icon delivered to Trinity Lavra in special climate-controlled display case 18 July 2022, 10:07
- Rublev's Trinity icon delivered to Trinity Lavra for first time since 1917 Revolution 18 July 2022, 10:02
- Putin signs into law bill setting up state databank of extremist materials 14 July 2022, 16:52
- Kyrgyz special services claim to have prevented terrorist on Eid al-Adha in Bishkek 12 July 2022, 17:02