11 February 2016, 10:29
Meeting of Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis to continue for three hours
Moscow, February 11, Interfax - A meeting between Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Pope Francis, which is expected to take place in Havana on Friday, will continue for approximately three hours, a source in the Moscow Patriarchate told Interfax-Religion.
Their meeting at Havana's International Airport is expected to begin at around 2:15 p.m. local time. The public part of the meeting will continue for the first 15 minutes.
At the end of the meeting, Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis will exchange gifts and will sign a joint declaration, after which they will give a short speech to the press.
Approximately 30 minutes before his meeting with the pope, Patriarch Kirill will hold talks with Archbishop of Havana Cardinal Jaime Lucas Ortega y Alamino at Havana's airport.
On February 13, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church is expected to meet with Cardinal Kurt Koch, head of the Pontifical Council for Christian Unity.
It will be the first meeting in history between the Moscow patriarch and the pope. This issue has been on the agenda of relations between the two Churches for almost 20 years. Pope Francis said a few days ago that the upcoming meeting has been prepared in secrecy for two years.
The persecution of Christians is expected to dominate the agenda for the meeting. In light of the situation in the Middle East and Africa, the two Churches have decided to put aside their existing disagreements and unite their efforts in order to save the Christians from genocide. The patriarch and the pope are also expected to discuss the abandonment of Christian values, which can be observed in Europe today.
The fact that Patriarch Kirill heads the largest one of the 15 local Orthodox Churches will add a special meaning to this historic event, which will be a meeting between the two most prominent leaders of the Christian world. It is also important that this meeting will be held amid existing sanctions with regard to Russia, the Russian operation in Syria, as well as ahead of a Pan-Orthodox Council in Cyprus in June.
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22