15 February 2016, 11:59
Religious differences between terrorists in Syria not so important - Medvedev
Moscow, February 15, Interfax - Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev called the people "who run around with automatic weapons" in Syria "thugs and terrorists" and said that Russia cannot separate them into good and bad.
"Can you actually tell an ISIS or DAESH member from Jaish al-Islam or Jabhat al-Nusra members? Can you tell them apart from the way they look? By their ideology? They can't even tell each other apart [...] They are all thugs and terrorists," Medvedev said in an interview with Time magazine.
"The extent of their religious differences is very, very hypothetical. They wander to and from each other for various reasons: They get paid more somewhere else or somebody falls out with somebody. So it is very difficult for us to separate the moderate from the not so moderate and the good from the bad," Medvedev said.
"There is an ideological opposition to Assad. It's necessary to come to terms with these people. They are part of the Syrian elite. They represent another part of the religious spectrum, the Sunni part. However, those who run around with automatic weapons, these are definitely people who earn their living in a totally different way and have other plans," Medvedev said.
"So when I'm told that there is ISIS here but no ISIS there... We remember very well how the Taliban transformed into Al-Qaeda and how Al-Qaeda transformed into something else and how all of this together transformed into the Islamic State. This is the way these people live," Medvedev said.
In this regard, Medvedev said that "today that we are facing a situation where the world will start to be run with so-called terrorist methods." "This is the threat and this is why I believe that religious differences between these extremists are not that important," he said.
ISIL and Jabhat al-Nusra are terrorist organizations prohibited in Russia.
- Kiev envoy goes to Istanbul with request on Ukrainian autocephaly for Ecumenical patriarch 20 April 2018, 17:35
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges protestors, police to exercise restraints 19 April 2018, 18:24
- Metropolitan Hilarion on situation in Ukraine: secular administration cannot initiate creation of autocephalous Church (updated) 19 April 2018, 14:41
- Rada speaker hopes for approval of autocephalous Ukrainian Orthodox Church by late July 19 April 2018, 14:37
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's autocephaly is geopolitical issue – Poroshenko 19 April 2018, 14:20
- Actions aimed at dividing church are not welcome - Peskov on situation in Ukraine 19 April 2018, 12:52
- Poroshenko to phone Patriarch Bartholomew to discuss autocephaly of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 19 April 2018, 12:43
- Rada backs Poroshenko request for Ecumenical Patriarch on setting up autocephalous local Orthodox Church in Ukraine (updated) 19 April 2018, 12:04
- Identical monuments to St. John of Kronstadt will be set up in Russia, USA and Germany 18 April 2018, 19:57
- Syrian mufti plans visit to Russia 18 April 2018, 12:10
- Unity of Russian Orthodox Church must be supported by all Orthodox Churches - Metropolitan Hilarion (updated) 17 April 2018, 20:00
- The Moscow Patriarchate official urges to pray for not allowing World War III 17 April 2018, 18:58
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis urge world leaders to relieve tensions in international relations 17 April 2018, 18:15
- Head of House of Romanov suggests waiting patiently for results of comprehensive analysis of "Yekaterinburg remains" 16 April 2018, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill discusses Syria with Pope Francis 16 April 2018, 09:48
- Lenin should be buried, Stalin returned to Georgia - Kadyrov 13 April 2018, 17:12
- Orthodox believers will never stand in open opposition to state authorities, head of a Synodal Department believes 12 April 2018, 17:02
- Russia rids itself of anti-Semitic image, but Jews blamed for 1917 revolution, Russian Internet full of anti-Semitic content – report 12 April 2018, 13:36
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls 'Skripal affair' a provocation aimed at weakening Russia 09 April 2018, 17:25
- Patriarch Kirill addresses Russian military in Syria on Orthodox Easter day 09 April 2018, 10:54
- Orthodox church in Kiev set on fire 06 April 2018, 14:10
- Seven-meter Easter egg will be set up in downtown Moscow 06 April 2018, 11:25
- Pope and Armenian president unveil monument to Armenian saint in Vatican Gardens 05 April 2018, 18:09
- Ethnic minorities in Iraq lost hope unlike Syrian Christians - Russian Church official 05 April 2018, 16:51
- Steven Hoking demonstrated the limits of scientific possibilities, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 05 April 2018, 10:45
- Expert on religion doubts that Mormons would be able to build a church in Russia 04 April 2018, 18:45
- Putin thanks Patriarch of Constantinople for supporting unity of the Orthodox world - Kremlin 04 April 2018, 16:59
- Russian muftis have different opinions on Wahhabism ban 03 April 2018, 10:42
- The Interreligious Council of Russia stands up for recognizing Wahhabism an extremist ideology 27 March 2018, 18:48
- May: prayers of the British people are with the families who have lost loved ones in Kemerovo 27 March 2018, 18:32