25 March 2016, 18:05
The Edicule where the Holy Fire descends at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem to be restored first time in 200 years
Jerusalem, March 25, Interfax - Large-scale restoration of the Edicule (a chapel believed to be constructed over the place of the burial of Christ) starts at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem.
Works will be started after Orthodox Easter celebrated on May 1, and will last for more than eight months. Pilgrims will be allowed to the shrine during the restoration, press service of the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission in Jerusalem reports.
Experts from the Athens National Technical University, staff members of the Florence University and experts from Armenia will carry out the restoration. They will strengthen the construction, renew construction joints of the Edicule, change damaged fragments of the covering, clean the interior from the soot.
The scaffoldings have already been set up at the walls of the Edicule.
The existing construction was build over the Lord's Sepulchre in 1810 after destructive fire in the church in 1808. The Edicule has not been restored since 1810.
For several dozens of years the building was subjected to the influence of the weather as the doom of the rotunda over the Edicule had open hole till 1868. Earthquakes seriously damaged the Edicule in 1927 and 1934. It resulted in the lack of sustainability and threat of partial failure, so steel pillars were set up around the Edicule in 1947 as a temporal measure. Excessive humidity caused by the presence of millions of pilgrims and tourists and exposure to heat of candles also have negative impact on the construction.
The Holy Fire descends to the Edicule every year on the eve of the Orthodox Easter, which is delivered to dioceses of the Russian Orthodox churches and to the patriarchal service to Moscow.
- Court throws out Pentecostals' suit seeking agreement with penitentiary service on prison visits in Astrakhan 15 October 2018, 17:56
- Lukashenko blames politicians for events in Orthodox Church 15 October 2018, 15:24
- Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church discussing possible response to Constantinople's actions 15 October 2018, 14:30
- Lukashenko promises to support unity of Orthodox faith 15 October 2018, 13:46
- Police release 100 people detained near Kiev Monastery of the Caves on Sunday – media 15 October 2018, 13:43
- Russian Security Council discussed Constantinople decisions on Russian Church in Ukraine on Friday – Peskov 15 October 2018, 13:40
- Patriarch Kirill thanks Lukashenko for Belarusian govt's good relations with Belarusian Orthodox Church 15 October 2018, 11:32
- Minsk worried about possible schism in Orthodox Church – Lukashenko 15 October 2018, 11:29
- Lukashenko meets with Patriarch Kirill 15 October 2018, 11:09
- Ukraine never was, never will be Russian Orthodox Church's canonical territory – Poroshenko 15 October 2018, 11:01
- Ukrainian authorities to respect decision by flock who want to keep unity with Russian Orthodox Church – Poroshenko 15 October 2018, 10:58
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for continued Orthodox unity 13 October 2018, 18:07
- Constantinople Patriarchate still does not see Filaret Denisenko as patriarch - Phanar hierarch 13 October 2018, 18:05
- Constantinople Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine makes impossible Russian Orthodox Church's unity with it - Metropolitan Hilarion 13 October 2018, 18:02
- Putin, Russian Security Council permanent members discuss situation of Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine - Peskov 13 October 2018, 17:59
- Constantinople Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine makes impossible Russian Orthodox Church's unity with it - Metropolitan Hilarion 13 October 2018, 11:02
- Lavrov calls Patriarch Bartholomew's actions on Ukraine as provocation backed by U.S. (updated) 12 October 2018, 19:35
- Russian Orthodox Church proposes convene extraordinary pan-Orthodox council to depose Patriarch Bartholomew, his Synod members 12 October 2018, 19:24
- Metropolitan of Czech Lands and Slovakia expresses solidarity with canonical Church of Ukraine 12 October 2018, 17:36
- Kremlin vows to defend Orthodox Christians' interests in Ukraine using political, diplomatic methods 12 October 2018, 14:29
- Kremlin shares Russian Church's concern over Ecumenical Patriarchate's decisions – Peskov 12 October 2018, 14:28
- "Kiev Patriarchate" initiating emergency unification assembly 12 October 2018, 14:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church not to participate in unification assembly initiated by "Kiev Patriarchate" updated) 12 October 2018, 12:44
- Ukraine's Interior Ministry promises to rebuff possible provocations over granting of autocephaly to Ukrainian church 12 October 2018, 12:41
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls Ecumenical Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine church 'illegal' 12 October 2018, 12:40
- Russian Orthodox Church's response to Constantinople to be tough, decisive - representative 11 October 2018, 23:19
- Patriarchate of Constantinople announces establishment of direct rule over Kiev parishes - Synod decision 11 October 2018, 23:17
- Poroshenko vows to respect rights of believers who remain loyal to Moscow Patriarchate 11 October 2018, 23:16
- Removal of anathema from Filaret forces Russian Orthodox Church to cut Eucharistic communion with Constantinople - Patriarch Kirill's press secretary 11 October 2018, 23:12
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses Constantinople of destroying foundations of Orthodox Church 11 October 2018, 23:10