06 April 2016, 17:05
Patriarch Kirill's meeting with the pontiff contributed to responding to global challenges, the Russian Foreign minister believes
Moscow, April 6, Interfax - Head of the Russian Foreign Ministry Sergey Lavrov points out to the global character of the results of the meeting between Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Pope Francis of Rome.
"Invaluable is the role, you are playing in searching answers to global challenges, and Your historic meeting with Pope Francis of Rome has become a significant landmark on the way of strengthening inter-Christian accord on fundamental questions of the present," Lavrov said in his congratulations letter to the patriarch on the occasion of the 70th anniversary of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations, website of the Russian Church reports on Tuesday.
The first ever meeting of Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and the Pope of Rome was held on February 12 in Havana. The conversation focused on persecutions of Christians in countries of the Middle East and the North Africa. The question of the meeting was on the agenda of the two Churches about 20 years. It was prepared in secret for two years.
The minister said that the Foreign Ministry highly evaluates fruitful cooperation with the Russian Church, including constructive interaction with the DECR in frames of the corresponding working group and "is ready to increasing joint efforts aimed at confirming principles of law and justice in international relations."
Lavrov reminded that before being elected to the patriarchal see Patriarch Kirill chaired the DECR for twenty years "strengthening international authority of the Russian Orthodox Church."
"Your consequent efforts crowned with restoration of unity between the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Church Outside of Russia in 2007, made an important contribution to overcoming tragic historic breakup, strengthening of the Russian world," the document further reads.
- One more Russian Orthodox metropolitan carries out air procession with cross against coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:34
- Head of the Byelorussian Orthodox Church to fly along the country’s borders with relics and prayers to stop coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:32
- About 20 members of Jewish community of Russia hospitalized with coronavirus suspected 02 April 2020, 16:05
- Moscow rabbi recovers from coronavirus 01 April 2020, 17:09
- Patriarch to go around Moscow with icon of Our Lady to rid people of coronavirus 01 April 2020, 13:24
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12