18 April 2016, 14:17
Patriarch's meeting with the pope helped save thousands of Syrians - Synod
*** The Russian Church urges to consolidate in struggle against terrorism
Moscow, April 18, Interfax - The Synod of the Russian Church stated that the meeting of Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Pope Francis of Rome helped settle the conflict in Syria.
"Joint statement of Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis contributed to achieving reconciliation in Syria and thus helped save thousands of lives," website of the Russian Church reports resuming the results of its Synod's session in St. Petersburg.
Hierarchs pointed out to the importance of the appeal "to the immediate actions aimed at preventing further displacement of Christians from the Middle East," and to spare no effort "in order to defeat terrorism taking joint, mutual, coordinated actions" addressed to the international community and voiced at the joint statement of the patriarch and the pontiff.
Members of the Synod expressed hope for "further consolidation of forces struggling against terrorism." They also recognized well-timed the concerns about discrimination of Christians and crisis of family in certain countries expressed in the joint statement and urged to respect essential right for life, including the right of babies in mother's womb.
Participants in the session touched upon the topic of Ukraine also reflected at the statement of the pope and the patriarch. Members of the Synod stressed that the Unia (Greek Catholicism) remains unhealed wound in relations Orthodox and Catholic relations and reported the importance of the appeal to reconciliation between Orthodox and Greek Catholics voiced by the patriarch and the pope.
The Synod hopes that the appeal of the Orthodox and the Catholic leaders will be heard by "all sides of civil confrontation in Ukraine" and urges advocates of the church schism in Ukraine "to come back to the saving fold of the Orthodox Church."
The Synod urged bishops and clerics to explain clerics, monks and believers the message of the joint statement of the pope and the patriarch as its text does not "consider theological, dogmatic and ecclesiastic questions, but addresses acute social, political, moral problems of the present."
The patriarch of Moscow and the pope met for the first time in history on February 12. The meeting had been prepared in secrecy for two years. The issue of holding such a meeting was on the Orthodox-Catholic agenda for about 20 years. Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis signed a joint declaration at the meeting in which they addressed many present-day problems actual for Orthodox and Catholic.
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22