07 June 2016, 18:58
If problems on way to Pan-Orthodox Council are not resolved, it is better postponed - Metropolitan Hilarion
Moscow, June 7, Interfax - There is no sense in holding the Pan-Orthodox Council without taking into account the opinions of all of the local churches, the Moscow Patriarchate believes.
"We proposed that the Patriarch of Constantinople hold a conference before the Council to tackle all the issues due to which Churches are now refusing to participate one after another. If these issues are resolved, then the Council will take place. If they are not, then it's probably best to postpone it," head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion said in an interview with Russia-24 channel.
He said it is important for the Russian Church that the Council that is due to be held on Crete, in the middle of June, "would become a factor of unity and like-mindedness, so that there would be no unpleasant surprises for the Orthodox Christian Churches at the Council."
"Decisions at the Council should be made by a consensus that is unanimous. What does that mean for us? It means not simply the agreement of everyone present in the hall to some one statement or another, some one document or another. For us it means that all Churches should express agreement with it," the hierarch said.
A few days ago the Holy Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate suggested holding an emergency Pan-Orthodox conference before the Council on June 10 at the latest. It pointed out that the non-participation of at least one local Church in it makes the Council impossible. It also said that several Churches and monasteries of Athos proposed amendments to the draft documents of the Council that are in tone with the proposals of the Russian Church, and "require fundamental consideration with the purpose of finding Pan-Orthodox consensus."
Meanwhile, the Patriarchate of Constantinople that is responsible for coordinating preparations for the Council on Monday declined the proposal on the discussion of problems obstructing the convocation of the Council.
The Pan-Orthodox Council has not been convened for over one thousand years and has been prepared for over half a century. According to approved regulations, all decisions at it should be adopted by consensus. Uncoordinated issues will not be included in the agenda and all draft documents that the forum is expected to adopt were published at the initiative of the Russian Church for advance examination.
Council participants are supposed to discuss such issues as the relations of the Orthodox Church with the rest of the Christian world, fasting, marriage, church missions in the world today, and the guidance of Orthodox Christians in the diaspora.
The future Council is not Ecumenical by its status. Unlike ancient Ecumenical Councils it is not meant to tackle issues of dogmatic nature or make any innovations in canonical arrangements or liturgical life.
- Parishioners of the "Russian exarchate" in Paris enthusiastic about joining the Russian Orthodox Church 16 September 2019, 17:45
- Return of 'Russian exarchate' became possible due to radical changes in Russian Church, Russia in general - Patriarch Kirill 16 September 2019, 16:26
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors that head of Russian Church Abroad is missing 16 September 2019, 16:25
- Israel condemns defacing of monument to Holocaust victims in Ukraine's Nikolaev Region, demands perpetrators be punished 16 September 2019, 13:20
- The Russian Church about return of “Russian exarchate” parishes under its jurisdiction: a long way is almost accomplished 14 September 2019, 21:29
- Head of "Russian exarchate" of Constantinople joins Russian Orthodox Church 14 September 2019, 18:44
- Imam Velitov, convicted for justification of terrorism, leaves colony in Astrakhan 13 September 2019, 16:52
- Ukrainian court freezes "Kiev Patriarchate" liquidation 12 September 2019, 20:25
- Priest Alexander Volkov dismissed from the post of patriarchal press secretary 12 September 2019, 20:22
- Orthodox Businessman Malofeyev to leave A Just Russia 6 months after joining it 12 September 2019, 17:23
- Common moral, ethical values of all religions in Russia ensure state stability of country - Putin 12 September 2019, 17:21
- Guilt of men charged with attempted murder of Imam Chumakov unproven - Ingushetia jury 11 September 2019, 10:53
- State Dept. announces sanctions against 2 high-ranking Surgut investigators over Jehovah's Witnesses case (updated) 10 September 2019, 18:48
- The Russian Church official call modern Russian men a "national tragedy" 09 September 2019, 11:56
- The Russian Church will accept communities of the "Russian exarchate" ready to join it 09 September 2019, 11:20
- Russian Orthodox Church to continue reunification consultations with "Russian exarchate" 09 September 2019, 11:00
- Russian Jews to unveil monument to Roma victims of Nazism 05 September 2019, 16:00
- Jerusalem Patriarch takes the side of Russian Church in the "Ukrainian question" 05 September 2019, 15:57
- Constantinople appoints head of "Russian exarchate" a metropolitan responsible for establishing new church in Ukraine 05 September 2019, 13:06
- "Russian exarchate" in Europe refused to subordinate to Constantinople 04 September 2019, 10:54
- Some 40,000 Hasidic pilgrims expected to attend Rosh Hashanah celebration in Ukraine 03 September 2019, 11:07
- ROC metropolitan denies Constantinople accusations of non-canonical actions of the Moscow Patriarchate in Southeast Asia 29 August 2019, 15:43
- World Union of Old Believers set up in Moscow 29 August 2019, 13:05
- Holocaust victims monument vandalized in southern Ukraine 28 August 2019, 16:58
- Monument to Ukrainian nationalists unveiled at Jewish cemetery in Lvov Region 26 August 2019, 19:45
- Poroshenko warns of ongoing attacks on Ukrainian army, language, faith 26 August 2019, 17:13
- Founder of Russian icon museum - among victims of helicopter crash in Greece 22 August 2019, 12:50
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12