07 June 2016, 18:58
If problems on way to Pan-Orthodox Council are not resolved, it is better postponed - Metropolitan Hilarion
Moscow, June 7, Interfax - There is no sense in holding the Pan-Orthodox Council without taking into account the opinions of all of the local churches, the Moscow Patriarchate believes.
"We proposed that the Patriarch of Constantinople hold a conference before the Council to tackle all the issues due to which Churches are now refusing to participate one after another. If these issues are resolved, then the Council will take place. If they are not, then it's probably best to postpone it," head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion said in an interview with Russia-24 channel.
He said it is important for the Russian Church that the Council that is due to be held on Crete, in the middle of June, "would become a factor of unity and like-mindedness, so that there would be no unpleasant surprises for the Orthodox Christian Churches at the Council."
"Decisions at the Council should be made by a consensus that is unanimous. What does that mean for us? It means not simply the agreement of everyone present in the hall to some one statement or another, some one document or another. For us it means that all Churches should express agreement with it," the hierarch said.
A few days ago the Holy Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate suggested holding an emergency Pan-Orthodox conference before the Council on June 10 at the latest. It pointed out that the non-participation of at least one local Church in it makes the Council impossible. It also said that several Churches and monasteries of Athos proposed amendments to the draft documents of the Council that are in tone with the proposals of the Russian Church, and "require fundamental consideration with the purpose of finding Pan-Orthodox consensus."
Meanwhile, the Patriarchate of Constantinople that is responsible for coordinating preparations for the Council on Monday declined the proposal on the discussion of problems obstructing the convocation of the Council.
The Pan-Orthodox Council has not been convened for over one thousand years and has been prepared for over half a century. According to approved regulations, all decisions at it should be adopted by consensus. Uncoordinated issues will not be included in the agenda and all draft documents that the forum is expected to adopt were published at the initiative of the Russian Church for advance examination.
Council participants are supposed to discuss such issues as the relations of the Orthodox Church with the rest of the Christian world, fasting, marriage, church missions in the world today, and the guidance of Orthodox Christians in the diaspora.
The future Council is not Ecumenical by its status. Unlike ancient Ecumenical Councils it is not meant to tackle issues of dogmatic nature or make any innovations in canonical arrangements or liturgical life.
- Kiev expects icon gifted to Lavrov in Sarajevo to be returned to Ukraine 15 January 2021, 17:46
- Arrested former schema-monk Sergy ends his hunger strike 15 January 2021, 16:49
- ECHR finds unproven accusations of Kiev in Russia's refusal to register religious organizations in Crimea 14 January 2021, 14:38
- Federal Penitentiary Service denies reports on deteriorating health of former schema-hegumen Sergy 14 January 2021, 14:10
- IOPS chairman says is 99% certain Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem will be returned to Russia this year 13 January 2021, 14:36
- Circus in Russia's Udmurtia says photos of animals with Nazi symbols Christmas celebration that caused scandal were taken out of context 13 January 2021, 13:24
- Supporter of Urals ex-schema-monk Sergy arrested in new case 12 January 2021, 17:29
- Emeritus Patriarchal Exarch of All Belarus Philaret dies 12 January 2021, 16:51
- Yakutian 'shaman' Gabyshev plans new 'march on Moscow' 12 January 2021, 15:28
- Arrested ex-schema-monk Sergy goes on dry hunger strike - Public Monitoring Commission 12 January 2021, 10:00
- Extremists may take advantage of new anti-money laundering regulations for religious organizations - State Duma committee 11 January 2021, 17:00
- Hockey player Datsyuk, actress Shukshina ask Putin to look into circumstances of former schema-hegumen Sergy's detention in Urals 11 January 2021, 16:23
- Christmas interview of Patriarch Kirill to Rossia TV (a shortened version) 11 January 2021, 10:10
- Decision on where icon gifted to Lavrov truly belongs can be made only after examination - Russian Orthodox Church 08 January 2021, 15:34
- Patriarch Kirill calls those who do not believe in danger of Covid-19 'stupid' 08 January 2021, 15:31
- Hagia Sophia's conversion into mosque Patriarch Bartholomew's divine retribution - Russian Church head 07 January 2021, 17:41
- Putin grateful to Syrian people for preserving Christian holy relics 07 January 2021, 17:39
- Hope, expectation of miracle human's guiding light - Putin 07 January 2021, 17:36
- Pope Francis accepts Belarusian Catholic leader Kondrusiewicz's resignation 03 January 2021, 17:18
- Russian Orthodox Church postpones Christmas Readings to Easter due to Covid-19 pandemic 30 December 2020, 19:01
- Moscow court arrests ex-schema-monk Sergy for 2 months 29 December 2020, 21:14
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy suspected of persuading 10 nuns to commit suicide 29 December 2020, 20:58
- Russian Bishops' Council to be held on November 15-18, 2021 29 December 2020, 19:57
- Russian Orthodox Church wished Russians to keep faith, hope and love 28 December 2020, 13:16
- Leader of Catholic Church in Belarus Kondrusiewicz returns to country 24 December 2020, 15:11
- Lukashenko reminds Belarusians of forgiveness, help to needy in Christmas Eve message 24 December 2020, 10:41
- Jehovah's Witness from Rostov-on-Don given suspended sentence 24 December 2020, 10:16
- Russia hands icon presented earlier to Lavrov in Sarajevo to embassy of Bosnia and Herzegovina in Moscow 23 December 2020, 18:08
- Head of Belarusian Catholics can return to country 23 December 2020, 10:04
- Biden's idea of allowing gender transitioning from age 8 'unacceptable' - Russian Orthodox Church 22 December 2020, 18:06