08 June 2016, 17:40
Constantinople Patriarchate threatens the unity of Orthodox world - historian
Moscow, June 8, Interfax - PhD in History Natalya Narochnitskaya speaking about the difficulties on the way of convening the Pan-Orthodox Council accused the Constantinople Patriarchate as its actions can split the Orthodox world.
"At the present moment, relations among the Constantinople Patriarchate and other Orthodox Local Orthodox Churches cause serious concerns in light of the last scandalously indelicate steps of the Constantinople Patriarchate, as it persistently impose on all Orthodox Churches the soonest convention of the Pan-Orthodox Council," she writes in the article posted by the Argumenty i Fakty website on Wednesday.
According to the author, ignoring serious concerns of the Russian Church and some other Orthodox Churches with lack of preparations and coordination in the work of the Council, Constantinople "strives to confirm its right to dictate its will."
"The Moscow Patriarchate directly expressed its concerns with such developments, warned about dramatical consequences of ignoring the other Orthodox Churches' opinion. However, the Constantinople Patriarchate descends even to blackmailing and wishes to crush the will, to impose decisions that will lead to disappointment and threatens the unity of Orthodox world," she said.
Narochnitskaya points out that the Constantinople Patriarchate has a reputation of "a mediator of ecumenism and western influence, first of all, Anglo-Saxon forces," and promoted the idea of the Pan-Orthodox Council "to confirm its supremacy from 1961."
The Pan-Orthodox Council, that has not been convened for more than a thousand years and has been already prepared for more than half a century, is under question after the Bulgarian Church and the Antioch refused to participate in it.
The Holy Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate suggested holding extraordinary pan-Orthodox pre-council conference not later than June 10. It is also noted that non-participation of at least one of the Orthodox Churches in the Council constitutes an unsurmountable obstacle to the holding of a Council and stated that the number of Churches as well as Mount Athos monasteries, made essential amendments, which are to a great extent consonant with the proposals made by the Russian Orthodox Church and "need to be thoroughly examined with the aim to find a general Orthodox consensus."
However, the Constantinople Patriarchate responsible for coordinating the preparations for the Council, decline the suggestion to discuss the problems impeding convention of the Council and stated it would take place anyway.
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media 15 November 2018, 22:20
- U.S. embassy concerned by Kiev's St. Andrew Church attack 15 November 2018, 19:25
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns of schemes using its bishops' signatures at unification assembly 15 November 2018, 15:46
- Unknown individuals attack St. Andrew's Church, transferred to Ecumenical Patriarchate, in Kiev 15 November 2018, 15:34
- Dissenting bishops of canonical Ukrainian Church might ignore 'unifying assembly' - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 November 2018, 14:56
- Constantinople deceiving supporters of Ukrainian autocephaly - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 November 2018, 12:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate" may nominate Filaret for head of new church 15 November 2018, 12:02
- Date of unification assembly not known yet - "Kiev Patriarchate" 15 November 2018, 11:10
- Upcoming 'uniting' assembly in Ukraine to have negligible canonical consequences - Russian Orthodox Church 14 November 2018, 21:58
- "Unification" council to be held in Ukraine on Nov 22 - media (updated) 14 November 2018, 21:54
- Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media 14 November 2018, 15:36
- Poroshenko administration refuses to show journalists agreement with Patriarch Bartholomew 14 November 2018, 13:58
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25
- Archbishops' Council of Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready to meet with Ukrainian president, but on church soil - statement 13 November 2018, 19:05
- Poroshenko no-show at Kiev Monastery of the Caves to meet with Ukrainian Church clergy 13 November 2018, 17:13
- Metropolitan of Kiev denounces attempts to turn church into 'political tool' 13 November 2018, 17:03
- Chernigov clergy remain committed to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 13 November 2018, 16:59
- Zhitomir Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 13 November 2018, 10:49
- Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine 12 November 2018, 18:41
- Putin stresses importance of friendly relations between Russia, Muslim countries 12 November 2018, 15:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church not to participate in unifying assembly – chancellor 12 November 2018, 13:29
- Patriarch Kirill sends priest to Istanbul to care for Russian believers after severance of relations with Constantinople 12 November 2018, 13:25
- Unification assembly in Ukraine unlikely to be held before end of Nov - media 09 November 2018, 17:20
- Lugansk Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 09 November 2018, 10:59
- Rector of Moscow Theological Academy added to Mirotvorets database (updated) 08 November 2018, 18:11