08 June 2016, 17:40
Constantinople Patriarchate threatens the unity of Orthodox world - historian
Moscow, June 8, Interfax - PhD in History Natalya Narochnitskaya speaking about the difficulties on the way of convening the Pan-Orthodox Council accused the Constantinople Patriarchate as its actions can split the Orthodox world.
"At the present moment, relations among the Constantinople Patriarchate and other Orthodox Local Orthodox Churches cause serious concerns in light of the last scandalously indelicate steps of the Constantinople Patriarchate, as it persistently impose on all Orthodox Churches the soonest convention of the Pan-Orthodox Council," she writes in the article posted by the Argumenty i Fakty website on Wednesday.
According to the author, ignoring serious concerns of the Russian Church and some other Orthodox Churches with lack of preparations and coordination in the work of the Council, Constantinople "strives to confirm its right to dictate its will."
"The Moscow Patriarchate directly expressed its concerns with such developments, warned about dramatical consequences of ignoring the other Orthodox Churches' opinion. However, the Constantinople Patriarchate descends even to blackmailing and wishes to crush the will, to impose decisions that will lead to disappointment and threatens the unity of Orthodox world," she said.
Narochnitskaya points out that the Constantinople Patriarchate has a reputation of "a mediator of ecumenism and western influence, first of all, Anglo-Saxon forces," and promoted the idea of the Pan-Orthodox Council "to confirm its supremacy from 1961."
The Pan-Orthodox Council, that has not been convened for more than a thousand years and has been already prepared for more than half a century, is under question after the Bulgarian Church and the Antioch refused to participate in it.
The Holy Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate suggested holding extraordinary pan-Orthodox pre-council conference not later than June 10. It is also noted that non-participation of at least one of the Orthodox Churches in the Council constitutes an unsurmountable obstacle to the holding of a Council and stated that the number of Churches as well as Mount Athos monasteries, made essential amendments, which are to a great extent consonant with the proposals made by the Russian Orthodox Church and "need to be thoroughly examined with the aim to find a general Orthodox consensus."
However, the Constantinople Patriarchate responsible for coordinating the preparations for the Council, decline the suggestion to discuss the problems impeding convention of the Council and stated it would take place anyway.
- State Duma Council to consider consultations on possible reintroduction of death penalty 27 September 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill calls for spiritual mobilization 27 September 2022, 15:34
- Russia's FSB reports detention a Muslim recruter in Moscow area 27 September 2022, 11:58
- Russian Church warns the West against "slipping into a bestial state" 23 September 2022, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill declares the futility of attempts to intimidate the Russians 19 September 2022, 14:04
- Religious leaders call for ending conflicts, bloodshed in the world at congress in Nur-Sultan 15 September 2022, 14:49
- Some 10,000 believers attending papal mass in Kazakh capital 14 September 2022, 17:16
- Russian Supreme Court brands as terrorist, bans Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan 14 September 2022, 11:42
- Pontiff urges religious leaders to help settle conflicts through dialogue 14 September 2022, 11:41
- Patriarch Kirill: attempts to build world order without relying on moral values led to fierce confrontation 14 September 2022, 11:40
- Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan elected new First Hierarch of Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia 13 September 2022, 20:42
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges world to react to Azerbaijan's actions 13 September 2022, 15:42
- Pope Francis arrives in Kazakhstan's capital 13 September 2022, 15:38
- Russian State Duma may hold hearings on LGBT propaganda ban in Oct-Nov 13 September 2022, 14:50
- Latvian Orthodox Church chooses not to argue with govt about its status 12 September 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill calls Elizabeth II symbol of sustainability of centuries-old traditions for entire Europe 09 September 2022, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church on declaration of Latvian Church's autocephaly by parliament: they surpassed Middle Ages 08 September 2022, 21:45
- Latvian Saeima endorses law on independence of Latvian Orthodox Church 08 September 2022, 19:06
- WCC refuses to accuse Russian Orthodox Church despite pressure 08 September 2022, 17:03
- Court in Primorye overrules order committing Yakutia shaman Gabyshev to hospital 08 September 2022, 10:31
- Russian ombudsman calls for moratorium on death penalty in DPR 07 September 2022, 14:42
- Patriarch Kirill highlights Russia's special role in modern history 06 September 2022, 17:35
- Riga seeking independence of Latvian Orthodox Church from Moscow Patriarchate (updated) 05 September 2022, 17:44
- Russian Orthodox Church outraged by interference of Latvian secular authorities in church affairs 05 September 2022, 15:32
- World Council of Churches refuses to isolate Russian Orthodox Church delegation at its assembly 01 September 2022, 21:32
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses German president of putting pressure on World Council of Churches 01 September 2022, 14:23
- Russian Orthodox Church views Kyiv's sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as PR campaign 31 August 2022, 17:25
- Fines for LGBT propaganda to be from 50,000 to 200,000 rubles for citizens, foreigners may be deported from Russia 31 August 2022, 16:42
- Ukrainian govt approves proposed sanctions against Patriarch Kirill 31 August 2022, 09:56
- Bishops' Council postponed indefinitely due to global situation - Russian Orthodox Church 25 August 2022, 21:06