14 June 2016, 11:07
New apostolic nuncio for the soonest continuation of Orthodox-Catholic contacts started on Cuba
Moscow, June 14, Interfax – The new Apostolic Nuncio to Russia Archbishop Celestino Migliore urges to develop relations of the Russian Church and the Roman Catholic Church after meeting of the pope of Rome and the patriarch of Moscow in Havana.
"In fact, Christian brothers and joint mission dictate a necessity to continue contacts started on Cuba," the nuncio told Interfax-Religion in the first after his appointment interview with a Russian media.
Answering the question about possibilities of a new meeting between the pope and the patriarch, he said that it can not be excluded "in modern globalized world full of spontaneous and frequent meetings."
Speaking about the mentioned February meeting, the interviewee of the agency said, that "it was more important than anything else to make a gesture that can heal the injury of division."
According to him, one of the tragic threats that unites the Russian Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church in their strive to fight against it, is persecutions of Christians in the Middle East and extrusion of Christianity in the West.
The nuncio considers one of his main task in Russia "to build bridges between diverse or even distant from each other views and formulations and walk along together the way Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill did during their recent meeting on Cuba."
Speaking about relations between Russia and the West, Migliore said: "I remember about twenty years ago the Holy See cooperated with Russia at the international scene to bring the regimen of sanctions into restrained frames and work out mechanisms of monitoring, so that sanctions do not punish population."
See more under the Exclusive heading.
- Heads of Jewish communities around the world urge to exchange words of support on the eve of Pesach 03 April 2020, 14:00
- One more Russian Orthodox metropolitan carries out air procession with cross against coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:34
- Head of the Byelorussian Orthodox Church to fly along the country’s borders with relics and prayers to stop coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:32
- About 20 members of Jewish community of Russia hospitalized with coronavirus suspected 02 April 2020, 16:05
- Moscow rabbi recovers from coronavirus 01 April 2020, 17:09
- Patriarch to go around Moscow with icon of Our Lady to rid people of coronavirus 01 April 2020, 13:24
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46