16 June 2016, 14:52
Russian Orthodox Church finds Ukrainian Rada's initiative to be gross violation of law
Moscow, June 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has sharply criticized Verkhovnaya Rada deputies who have recently issued an address to the Constantinople patriarch calling for recognition of the independence of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church from Moscow.
"Instead of doing their direct job, which is to pass laws protecting the dignity of Ukrainians and strengthening public accord, the Rada has decided to become a self-proclaimed body in charge of administering inter-church relations," Vladimir Legoyda, the head of the Synodal Department for Church, Society and Media Relations, said in a statement quoted by his press service on Thursday.
On June 15, the Verkhovnaya Rada called on Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew to invalidate the act of 1686 according to which the Kiev metropolitan was allegedly "in violation of canons" attached to the Moscow Patriarchate.
Legoyda believes that by their decision Ukrainian legislators showed that "they are driven by a wish to make the Ukrainian Orthodox Church a pawn of big shortsighted policies and deprive it of its impartial peacemaking role that it plays in a situation of civil unrest, not by a wish to cure division and care for peace among the religious communities of this country."
He said Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine has called the parliamentarians' address a direct violation of the Ukrainian legislation. "Metropolitan Onufry also said that ways to unity would have been found a long time ago if politicians had not interfered in internal church affairs and inter-church relations. One can't help but recognize the justice of these words," Legoyda said.
He said the address adopted by Russia is only one of the methods of putting pressure on the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which includes attempts to pass discriminatory law governing its status, takeovers of churches and persecution of clergymen. "All these things are major violations of the national and international law, which deserve legal proceedings," Legoyda said.
- Moscow Mayor Sobyanin proposes to leave Lubyanskaya Square as it is for now 26 February 2021, 22:42
- Acting leader of Abkhazian Diocese is member of Georgian Church - Georgian Patriarchate 26 February 2021, 17:44
- Search underway on premises of Sredneuralsky Convent 26 February 2021, 17:41
- Defrocked priest Sergy's pretrial detention extended until end of spring 26 February 2021, 10:00
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35
- The International Day of Human Brotherhood celebrates in Russia for the first time 09 February 2021, 10:13
- Tolerance lessons have already been held for half a million schoolchildren in Russia 09 February 2021, 10:04
- Moscow City Court upholds arrest of schema-hegumen Sergy 09 February 2021, 10:00