16 June 2016, 14:52
Russian Orthodox Church finds Ukrainian Rada's initiative to be gross violation of law
Moscow, June 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has sharply criticized Verkhovnaya Rada deputies who have recently issued an address to the Constantinople patriarch calling for recognition of the independence of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church from Moscow.
"Instead of doing their direct job, which is to pass laws protecting the dignity of Ukrainians and strengthening public accord, the Rada has decided to become a self-proclaimed body in charge of administering inter-church relations," Vladimir Legoyda, the head of the Synodal Department for Church, Society and Media Relations, said in a statement quoted by his press service on Thursday.
On June 15, the Verkhovnaya Rada called on Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew to invalidate the act of 1686 according to which the Kiev metropolitan was allegedly "in violation of canons" attached to the Moscow Patriarchate.
Legoyda believes that by their decision Ukrainian legislators showed that "they are driven by a wish to make the Ukrainian Orthodox Church a pawn of big shortsighted policies and deprive it of its impartial peacemaking role that it plays in a situation of civil unrest, not by a wish to cure division and care for peace among the religious communities of this country."
He said Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine has called the parliamentarians' address a direct violation of the Ukrainian legislation. "Metropolitan Onufry also said that ways to unity would have been found a long time ago if politicians had not interfered in internal church affairs and inter-church relations. One can't help but recognize the justice of these words," Legoyda said.
He said the address adopted by Russia is only one of the methods of putting pressure on the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which includes attempts to pass discriminatory law governing its status, takeovers of churches and persecution of clergymen. "All these things are major violations of the national and international law, which deserve legal proceedings," Legoyda said.
- Founder of Russian icon museum - among victims of helicopter crash in Greece 22 August 2019, 12:50
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12
- Over 60% of Russians identify as Orthodox, 1 out of every 6 is atheist - poll 14 August 2019, 13:51
- Russian Orthodox Church offers "Russian exarchate" to join it preserving its statute and traditions 12 August 2019, 15:33
- Gay couple with adopted children can't return to Russia yet - rights activists 12 August 2019, 14:53
- Zelensky discusses Crimea, Donbass with Patriarch Bartholomew 09 August 2019, 11:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees good signal in Zelensky's remarks at meeting with Patriarch Bartholomew 08 August 2019, 20:25
- Zelensky promises Patriarch Bartholomew: state won't interfere in church affairs 08 August 2019, 16:51
- Russian Jewish community leader calls news of Vilnius Synagogue closure frightening 08 August 2019, 14:31
- Vilnius synagogue closes due to local Jews' safety fears 07 August 2019, 20:39
- The battles of Stalingrad, Moscow to be depicted at facades of the main church of Russian military forces 07 August 2019, 17:25
- The Russian Orthodox Church criticizes the project of 'futuristic' church in Moscow 07 August 2019, 17:23
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences to Trump over deadly shootings in Texas, Ohio 06 August 2019, 13:18
- U.S. consul general denies Washington's involvement in Yekaterinburg protests 05 August 2019, 18:47
- Zelensky planning to meet with Erdogan, Patriarch Bartholomew during Turkey visit 05 August 2019, 11:48
- Vatican embassy describes reports on pontiff's visit to Russia on May 9, 2020, as rumors 01 August 2019, 16:21
- Patriarch Kirill sees the threat of restricting human freedom in digital technologies 01 August 2019, 15:52
- Baikal shamans bring sheep and vodka to their gods to help extinguishing fire 01 August 2019, 15:50
- 300,000 Ukrainian Orthodox Church believers participate in the procession with cross on the Day of Russia’s Baptism 29 July 2019, 10:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church hopes Zelensky's anti-raiding decree will affect religious sphere 24 July 2019, 17:22
- Pope Francis of Rome congratulates Russian opera singer Svetlana Kasyan on her birthday 24 July 2019, 16:29
- Court of Appeal recognized illegal the Ukrainian state’s attempt to rename the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 July 2019, 13:56
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper charged with financing terrorism 24 July 2019, 13:22
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58