21 June 2016, 10:44
Searches underway in Moscow and St. Petersburg to suppress unlawful activities of Church of Scientology (updated)
St. Petersburg/Moscow, June 21, Interfax - Large-scale investigative measures concerning the activity of the Church of Scientology are underway in Moscow and St. Petersburg on Tuesday, a source in law enforcement agencies told Interfax.
"Large-scale investigative measures and searches are being conducted as part of efforts to suppress the unlawful activities of the Church of Scientology and as part of a criminal case opened on a count of 'illegal entrepreneurship'," he said.
These measures are being taken both in Moscow and St. Petersburg, he said.
Interfax has so far been unable to obtain official confirmation of the report.
The press service of the Russian Federal Security Service's branch for St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Region has declined to comment.
An eyewitness told Interfax that officers of law enforcement agencies had arrived at the main scientologists' office in Moscow, located in the city's Taganskaya Street.
A police bus is parked near the building, all entrances to the office have been blocked and worshippers and other visitors are not being allowed inside, he said.
It was reported that in November 2015, the Moscow City Court ruled in favor of a lawsuit filed by the Moscow branch of the Russian Justice Ministry seeking the closure of the Moscow Church of Scientology religious organization. The scientologists have been trying to appeal this decision at the Russian Supreme Court.
Justice Ministry officials said during the court session that the title 'scientology' was registered as a trademark and, consequently, the Moscow Church of Scientology could not be called a religious organization because it would violate Russia's law on religious organizations.
Moscow Church of Scientology representatives, for their part, asked the court to reject the Justice Ministry's lawsuit. They insisted that the closure of this religious organization would violate the rights of thousands of believers.
The judge then ordered the creation of a commission to close this religious organization within a six-month period following the enactment of the decision to remove information about the Moscow Church of Scientology from the list of religious organizations.
The Justice Ministry's Moscow branch concluded following a routine inspection in 2013 that the charter the organization had at that time did not meet the requirements of Russia's federal law on freedom of conscience and religious organizations and the organization's name did not offer any information about its form of incorporation or its faith.
The inspection also established that the word 'scientology' was registered as a trademark owned by the U.S. Center of Religious Technology, and the simultaneous use of this word as the name of a faith contravened the requirements of Article 28 of the Russian constitution.
A decision was made following the inspection of the activities of the Moscow Church of Scientology to conduct a state theological assessment, as a result of which the Moscow Church of Scientology was not recognized as a religious organization.
'Spying' devices - illegally installed acoustic microphones and video cameras, which are used to surreptitiously obtain information - were confiscated during a search at the Moscow Church of Scientology office on Taganskaya Street in mid-August.
A spokesperson for the Moscow branch of the Russian Investigative Committee, Yulia Ivanova, said later that a criminal investigation had been opened on a count of the illegal use of specialized technical equipment following the searches.
In 2007, the St. Petersburg City Court, acting at the request of the Prosecutor's Office, decided to shut down the Scientology Center public organization, which was also accused of illegal collection of information about people's private lives.
Scientology is a religious and philosophical movement founded by American science fiction writer Lafayette Ronald Hubbard in the United States in the middle of the past century. It is a system of faiths and practices composed of compilation of different quasi-scientific and religious ideas for people aspiring to success.
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10
- Church split isn't matter for Russian, Ukrainian presidents - Russian Orthodox Church 15 July 2019, 11:16
- Rights of sexual minorities should not be violated in Russia – Moskalkova 10 July 2019, 14:10
- Priest's statement that women are less smart than men is nonsense - Russian human rights council head 10 July 2019, 11:50
- Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro 10 July 2019, 10:38
- Lukashenko denies rumors of secret talks he might have with Putin in Valaam 09 July 2019, 12:25
- Almost half of Jewish Europeans considering emigrating over antisemitism - report 08 July 2019, 18:41
- Women less smart than men - head of patriarch's commission 08 July 2019, 17:46
- Filaret 'Moscow's ally' - Orthodox Church of Ukraine 08 July 2019, 17:44
- Georgian priests demand square before parliament be cleared of protesters' banners 08 July 2019, 13:19
- Georgian LGBT community calls off Tbilisi action due to threats 08 July 2019, 12:06
- Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy 05 July 2019, 13:20
- Pope hails Russia's efforts to protect Christian holy places in Syria – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:09
- Putin, Pope Francis did not discuss latter's visit to Russia – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:07
- Putin talked with Pope Francis about protection of Christians in Syria 05 July 2019, 12:14
- Names of submariners killed in Barents Sea to be perpetuated on Kronstadt Naval Cathedral's walls 04 July 2019, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church hails contacts between Putin, Vatican 04 July 2019, 17:54
- Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated) 04 July 2019, 17:06
- Inviting Pope to Russia not to be raised during Putin's visit to Vatican - Ushakov 03 July 2019, 18:22
- Putin in Vatican to discuss restoration of Christian shrines in Syria, Roman Church's humanitarian projects in Donbas, Venezuela 03 July 2019, 18:20
- Filaret declares tomos granted by Constantinople to Ukraine false 02 July 2019, 18:03
- Peskov unaware whether Putin plans to invite Pope to Russia 01 July 2019, 14:39
- The Russian Orthodox Church condemns the law on bishops’ citizenship adopted in Latvia 01 July 2019, 13:29
- Soil from royal family burial site in Yekaterinburg to be re-examined - Memorial of Romanovs foundation 01 July 2019, 10:55
- Elton John musical genius but errs on issue of attitudes towards gays in Russia – Putin 01 July 2019, 10:39
- Russian Orthodox Church offers to set up the rights of embryo in legislation 28 June 2019, 17:35
- Ukraine is turning in Waterloo for Patriarch Bartholomew, the Russian church official believes 28 June 2019, 17:32
- Russian Orthodox Church can change its statute to include Russian exarchate of Constantinople 28 June 2019, 14:12
- Synod of Ukraine's new church deprives Filaret of right to run Kiev Diocese 24 June 2019, 17:53
- Underground church discovered in Moldavia 24 June 2019, 17:49