22 June 2016, 17:06
Russian Church registers 130 violations of Orthodox Christians' rights in Europe in 2015
Moscow, June 22, Interfax - The monitoring center sponsored by the representation of the Russian Church at the Council of Europe released a report on violations of the rights and freedoms of Orthodox Christians in Europe in 2015 on Wednesday. The report was issued in English.
"The report states 143 information reports that speak about some 130 violations of the rights of Orthodox Christians in Europe and also contains official statements by the hierarchs of the Orthodox churches and their official representatives, state and international organizations on this issue," Hegumen Filipp (Ryabykh), representative of the Russian Church at the Council of Europe and senior priest of the Church of All Saints in Strasbourg, told Interfax-Religion.
The highest number of violations of Orthodox Christians' rights were registered in the Balkans and in Ukraine last year, he said.
"However, there were several situations in France, Latvia, Russia and other countries of Europe," the source said.
The representation of the Russian Church will send copies of the report to the heads of various Council of Europe structures, diplomatic missions in Strasbourg and public organizations, he said.
"We will also disseminate and present it at Council of Europe events. It is in our interests that as many people as possible should become familiar with this report," the priest said.
He also criticized PACE, saying he believes it has not done enough to draw the attention of the global public to the persecution of Christians in the Middle East.
"PACE does not have at its disposal methods for implementing its ideology. It can only call on countries and other international structures that have the necessary resources to take action. What else could PACE do? For example, conduct regular monitoring of the situation and constantly draw attention to this issue. Unfortunately, that's not happening," the priest said.
- Radical Islamists step up work among young Russians - Patrushev 30 October 2020, 19:49
- Religious extremist organizations trying to strengthen their positions in Russia using migrants 30 October 2020, 19:48
- Russian mufti condemns attacks on innocent people, calls on Muslims to be above those who slander Islam 30 October 2020, 18:01
- Kremlin sees no connection between attack on police station in Tatarstan and events in France (updated) 30 October 2020, 16:41
- FJCR President puts on Charlie Hebdo indirect blame for the attack on church in Nice 30 October 2020, 13:42
- No world religions accept ideas of extremism - Peskov 30 October 2020, 13:26
- Tatarstan Interior Ministry denies Kukmor assailant was on police books as extremist-minded person 30 October 2020, 13:14
- Teenager who attacked police station in Tatarstan did not go to local mosques 30 October 2020, 11:50
- Islamist teenager shot dead after attacking police station in Russia's Tatarstan 30 October 2020, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill condemns Nice attack disguised by religious slogans 29 October 2020, 20:07
- Muslims holding unauthorized protest outside French embassy in Moscow 29 October 2020, 17:57
- Kremlin comments on Chechen authorities' plans to pay 100,000 rubles for naming newborns after Prophet Muhammad 29 October 2020, 16:34
- Putin calls attack at Nice church 'cynical, brutal crime,' says Russians share French people's anger, grief - Kremlin 29 October 2020, 16:33
- Religious affiliation in Russia in no way criterion for appointment, election to state posts - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:45
- Magazine similar to France's Charlie Hebdo impossible in Russia - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:35
- Unacceptable to insult feelings of believers, kill people for religious reasons - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:32
- Kremlin describes Nice church attack as 'absolutely horrific tragedy' 29 October 2020, 14:30
- Kadyrov describes his words addressed to Macron as gesture of Muslim, not politician 29 October 2020, 10:00
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy refuses to go to questionings for fear of contracting Covid-19 28 October 2020, 20:07
- Russian Orthodox Church shocked by changes at Istanbul's Chora Monastery recently turned into mosque 28 October 2020, 20:02
- Prosecutors seeking 18 years in penal colony for head of Russian cell of Aum Shinrikyo 28 October 2020, 18:14
- Kantor reelected president of European Jewish Congress 28 October 2020, 15:12
- Kadyrov urges Macron to stop backing publication of Prophet Muhammad cartoons 27 October 2020, 18:20
- Russian court rejects appeal from Jehovah's Witness from Denmark on replacing remaining prison term with fine 27 October 2020, 18:14
- Russia has 1 mln Jews - FJCR 27 October 2020, 10:56
- Head of the Church of Cyprus recognizes OCU autocephaly 26 October 2020, 13:30
- Tikhanovskaya urges religious communities to support the strike 26 October 2020, 12:07
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15