24 June 2016, 18:42
Experts warn against Constantinople's attempt to set up a standing body of ruling the Orthodox world
Moscow, June 24, Interfax - The community of Russian experts called The Byzantium Club has criticized the idea of making The Pan-Orthodox Council a permanently acting body and supported the Russian Church in its decision not to participate in the forum of church heads now held on Crete.
"An attempt to set up some permanently acting governing body is an attempt against autocephaly (independence) of local Churches, an attempt to set up a kind of outside administration over local Churches," press service of the Russian Public Chamber reports resuming the results of the Byzantium Club session held on its platform and chaired by renowned political expert Servey Markov.
Participants in the club believe that it may be considered in the context of "Europe's vassal position before the USA."
"Experts were positive about the decision of the Russian Orthodox Church not to participate in the Pan-Orthodox Council as participation of the most numerous local Church would have strengthened the legitimacy of the Council and its decisions no matter how the discussion develops," the message reads.
Participant in the session and member of the Byzantium Club Kirill Frolov told Interfax-Religion that organizers of the forum did not conceal that it was mostly held on money of American benefactors.
"We can suppose who these benefactors from the State Department and other services are. Setting up a standing body of outside administration over local Orthodox Churches, imposing the program of their deautocephalization correlates with Washington idea of depriving national states of sovereignty by the way of holding orange revolutions there," he said.
Frolov believes the Russian Orthodox Church as the world's biggest Orthodox Church bears the responsibility of preserving unity of Orthodoxy, "dogma about Orthodox Church as the only true, and convene the truly Pan-Orthodox Council without pressure and doubtful dogmatic and canonical experiments."
Archbishop of the Constantinople Patriarch Archbishop Job of Telmessos recently told the journalists resuming the results of opening the inter-Orthodox forum on Crete, that the primates of Orthodox Churches expressed hope that the Holy and the Great Council will become a new body of the Orthodox Church, which will be convened regularly to settle the problems, which Orthodox believers face in the 21st century."
- The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia 18 June 2019, 11:09
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27