04 August 2016, 10:28
Russian Church considers words of Constantinople official about Ukraine's canonical status a journalistic fiction
Moscow, August 4, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate does not believe that a representative of the Constantinople Church Archbishop Job (Getcha) of Telmissos could have called Ukraine its canonical territory.
"Archbishop Job is a highly educated person, an expert on canonical law. It is unbelievable that he could have claimed that "the territory of Ukraine is a canonical territory of the Church of Constantinople," deputy head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Nikolay Balashov writes in his article posted by Interfax-Religion.
According to the priest, such a statement contradicts both the truth of history and the official position of the Constantinople Patriarchate, confirmed many times (including the fact that Patriarch Bartholomew officially informed Patriarch Kirill about Archbishop Job's coming visit to Ukraine.)
The church official points out that the interview with the mentioned statement was prepared by a notorious in Ukraine advocate of schism, former activist of Sunday Adelaja's sect The Embassy of God and posted at the website of the Religious Informational Service of Ukraine backed up by Greek Catholics whose leader has recently insulted his Orthodox compatriots Ukrainians.
"Archbishop Job participated in divine services in Kiev by Metropolitan Onufry's of Kiev and All Ukraine personal invitation. I think it is evidently manifests that the Constantinople Patriarchate recognizes the only canonical Church and jurisdiction in Ukraine. And let us leave "hot" facts and sensations on the conscience of journalists who post them," the author further writes.
He believes that an attempt to negate the legitimacy of unity between the Kiev Metropolia and the Moscow Patriarchate also looks like a journalistic fantasy rather than a responsible statement made by an Orthodox hierarch.
"Anyway, it absolutely lacks historical and canonical grounds. The council resolution of 1686 was signed by Patriarch Dionysius IV and twenty one metropolitans of the Church of Constantinople, recognized by all Eastern patriarchs and has never been questioned all through the centuries," Father Nikolay noted.
See more under the Analytics heading.
- Moscow Mayor Sobyanin proposes to leave Lubyanskaya Square as it is for now 26 February 2021, 22:42
- Acting leader of Abkhazian Diocese is member of Georgian Church - Georgian Patriarchate 26 February 2021, 17:44
- Search underway on premises of Sredneuralsky Convent 26 February 2021, 17:41
- Defrocked priest Sergy's pretrial detention extended until end of spring 26 February 2021, 10:00
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35
- The International Day of Human Brotherhood celebrates in Russia for the first time 09 February 2021, 10:13
- Tolerance lessons have already been held for half a million schoolchildren in Russia 09 February 2021, 10:04
- Moscow City Court upholds arrest of schema-hegumen Sergy 09 February 2021, 10:00