04 August 2016, 10:28
Russian Church considers words of Constantinople official about Ukraine's canonical status a journalistic fiction
Moscow, August 4, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate does not believe that a representative of the Constantinople Church Archbishop Job (Getcha) of Telmissos could have called Ukraine its canonical territory.
"Archbishop Job is a highly educated person, an expert on canonical law. It is unbelievable that he could have claimed that "the territory of Ukraine is a canonical territory of the Church of Constantinople," deputy head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Nikolay Balashov writes in his article posted by Interfax-Religion.
According to the priest, such a statement contradicts both the truth of history and the official position of the Constantinople Patriarchate, confirmed many times (including the fact that Patriarch Bartholomew officially informed Patriarch Kirill about Archbishop Job's coming visit to Ukraine.)
The church official points out that the interview with the mentioned statement was prepared by a notorious in Ukraine advocate of schism, former activist of Sunday Adelaja's sect The Embassy of God and posted at the website of the Religious Informational Service of Ukraine backed up by Greek Catholics whose leader has recently insulted his Orthodox compatriots Ukrainians.
"Archbishop Job participated in divine services in Kiev by Metropolitan Onufry's of Kiev and All Ukraine personal invitation. I think it is evidently manifests that the Constantinople Patriarchate recognizes the only canonical Church and jurisdiction in Ukraine. And let us leave "hot" facts and sensations on the conscience of journalists who post them," the author further writes.
He believes that an attempt to negate the legitimacy of unity between the Kiev Metropolia and the Moscow Patriarchate also looks like a journalistic fantasy rather than a responsible statement made by an Orthodox hierarch.
"Anyway, it absolutely lacks historical and canonical grounds. The council resolution of 1686 was signed by Patriarch Dionysius IV and twenty one metropolitans of the Church of Constantinople, recognized by all Eastern patriarchs and has never been questioned all through the centuries," Father Nikolay noted.
See more under the Analytics heading.
- Putin states need for public monitoring of LGBT propaganda 03 July 2020, 18:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion: Hagia Sophia is heritage of entire mankind 03 July 2020, 18:25
- Russia hasn't restricted, won't restrict rights based on race, sexual orientation - Putin 03 July 2020, 17:51
- Putin comments on LGBT flag flying over U.S. embassy building in Moscow 03 July 2020, 17:46
- Church court defrocks Urals Schema-Hegumen Sergy, who cursed people who closed churches 03 July 2020, 13:09
- All members of the Jewish community in Moscow recovered from coronavirus 03 July 2020, 12:40
- Mufti Tajuddin proposes making Hagia Sophia common prayer-house for Muslims and Christians 03 July 2020, 10:09
- Duma's Tolstoy sees demonstration of LGBT flags on embassy buildings in Moscow as attempt to influence voting on constitutional amendments 02 July 2020, 12:39
- The FJCR president believes other countries to appreciate the importance of amendment about marriage as a union between a man and a woman 02 July 2020, 12:36
- Famous Transfiguration church in Kizhi to resume services after 40 years 30 June 2020, 18:04
- Filaret demands another tomos from Patriarch Bartholomew 29 June 2020, 20:59
- Russian Orthodox Church sees Ural priest's calls against participation in amendments vote as "tragicomic' 29 June 2020, 18:08
- Church court again makes no decision on behavior of Urals priest who cursed people who closed churches 29 June 2020, 10:05
- Russian Jews urges American demonstrators to peaceful dialogue 29 June 2020, 10:00
- Forced treatment of shaman Gabyshev is illegal - Memorial 25 June 2020, 21:17
- Kremlin hopes rainbow flag on U.S. embassy in Moscow drew attention of Russian Foreign Ministry 25 June 2020, 14:54
- Kusturica called Russia's chief military church personification of power, talent and faith 25 June 2020, 12:55
- Jews will never forget heroism of the Soviet Army that stopped Holocaust - FJCR president 25 June 2020, 10:08
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Metropolitan Sofrony dies 23 June 2020, 20:12
- Leader of Tuva Buddhists dies of Covid-19 23 June 2020, 18:26
- Shaman Gabyshev's supporter detained after he got into Yakutsk mental clinic 22 June 2020, 11:27
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russian Armed Forces to 'keep their powder dry,' keep unbreakable spirit 22 June 2020, 10:59
- Russia's defense capacity, security solidly ensured - Putin 22 June 2020, 10:58
- Russian Orthodox Church condemns toppling of statues to American slave holders 22 June 2020, 10:29
- Ukraine investigating case involving fueling of ethnic hatred in creation of Orthodox Church of Ukraine 19 June 2020, 13:28
- Rabbi Lazar does not consider the pandemic God's punishment for human sins 18 June 2020, 17:58
- Vucic asked Russia to support the Serbian Orthodox Church 18 June 2020, 17:30
- Russia's FSB denies taking part in developments in Sredneuralsk monastery 18 June 2020, 12:05
- 'Western values' are unacceptable to Russia - Security Council Secretary Patrushev 17 June 2020, 20:18
- The Russian Church officials debate about admissibility of in vitro fertilization 17 June 2020, 17:10