04 August 2016, 10:28
Russian Church considers words of Constantinople official about Ukraine's canonical status a journalistic fiction
Moscow, August 4, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate does not believe that a representative of the Constantinople Church Archbishop Job (Getcha) of Telmissos could have called Ukraine its canonical territory.
"Archbishop Job is a highly educated person, an expert on canonical law. It is unbelievable that he could have claimed that "the territory of Ukraine is a canonical territory of the Church of Constantinople," deputy head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Nikolay Balashov writes in his article posted by Interfax-Religion.
According to the priest, such a statement contradicts both the truth of history and the official position of the Constantinople Patriarchate, confirmed many times (including the fact that Patriarch Bartholomew officially informed Patriarch Kirill about Archbishop Job's coming visit to Ukraine.)
The church official points out that the interview with the mentioned statement was prepared by a notorious in Ukraine advocate of schism, former activist of Sunday Adelaja's sect The Embassy of God and posted at the website of the Religious Informational Service of Ukraine backed up by Greek Catholics whose leader has recently insulted his Orthodox compatriots Ukrainians.
"Archbishop Job participated in divine services in Kiev by Metropolitan Onufry's of Kiev and All Ukraine personal invitation. I think it is evidently manifests that the Constantinople Patriarchate recognizes the only canonical Church and jurisdiction in Ukraine. And let us leave "hot" facts and sensations on the conscience of journalists who post them," the author further writes.
He believes that an attempt to negate the legitimacy of unity between the Kiev Metropolia and the Moscow Patriarchate also looks like a journalistic fantasy rather than a responsible statement made by an Orthodox hierarch.
"Anyway, it absolutely lacks historical and canonical grounds. The council resolution of 1686 was signed by Patriarch Dionysius IV and twenty one metropolitans of the Church of Constantinople, recognized by all Eastern patriarchs and has never been questioned all through the centuries," Father Nikolay noted.
See more under the Analytics heading.
- Georgian president rules out 'Orthodox union' of Georgia and Russia 20 June 2019, 13:40
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper suspected of financing terrorism arrested for 2 months 19 June 2019, 17:14
- Memorial in place of the second biggest burial of the Holocaust victims opened in Caucasus 19 June 2019, 17:09
- The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia 18 June 2019, 11:09
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14