10 August 2016, 14:16
Jewish community of Russia urges to exclude Lebanon team from participation in the Olympic Games
Moscow, August 10, Interfax - The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia is outraged with the behavior of the Lebanese athletes in the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro and urges the International Olympic Committee to take tough measures.
"Unfortunately, disgusting manifestation of anti-Semitism darkened the Olympic backgrounds, which have already been excessively politicized. There should be competition among sport teams, but it should never extend to the insults on national grounds. The latest developments have undermined the very spirit of the Olympics and contradict the peaceful idea of the Olympic Games," head of the FJCR public relations Boruch Gorin said in his statement conveyed to Interfax-Religion on Wednesday.
Thus he commented on the incident, which took place during the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. Athletes from Lebanon and Israel in compliance with the schedule set up by the Games organizers should share the bus for going to the Maracana stadium. However, Lebanon athletes did not allow the Israel team to border the bus. The latter had to change the bus.
"There is a common saying that sport and more over the Olympic Games are out of politics. Unfortunately, we see that this principle is toughly violated. This situation is from the kind of the anti-Semitic incidents which have already happened at the international competitions where Israeli and Arab athletes participated. It is an alarming symptom when the atmosphere of hatred penetrates the Olympics," Gorin said.
It is not clear for him why the International Olympic Committee reacted to the incident with a reprimand only.
"I think that in cases of such aggressive xenophobia they should speak about exclusion of the team from further participation in the Games. We urge the IOC to react in such a way that will give others a lesson for the future so that no one will ever wish to behave like this," the FJCR spokesman stressed.
- Lavrov warns against involving Orthodox Churches in political games 22 February 2018, 13:35
- Tajik Salafis intending to join terrorists in Syria dressed up as women to escape police 22 February 2018, 11:25
- To eliminate ISIS on its territory is not enough, its cells remind about themselves in Russia - Metropolitan Hilarion 22 February 2018, 11:01
- Total of 20,500 Muslims from Russia could carry out hajj in 2018 21 February 2018, 11:28
- Clergy could do for countering terrorism in Dagestan more than security services - human rights council head 21 February 2018, 11:25
- Cat who lives at the main Crimean construction site grew fat eating pancakes on Russian Maslenitsa and will observe shrimp diet 20 February 2018, 14:16
- Women killed in Kizlyar to be buried on territory of church as martyrs 20 February 2018, 11:06
- Kizlyar shooting an attempt to pit Dagestan's people, religions against one another – Vasilyev 20 February 2018, 11:04
- 82% of Russians consider unacceptable jokes about the Church 19 February 2018, 17:23
- Investigators probing Kizlyar shooter's affiliation with extremist organizations – Peskov 19 February 2018, 14:02
- Kadyrov says shocked by Kizlyar church attack 19 February 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill sees shooting in Dagestan as provocation aimed at causing discord between Orthodox, Muslims 19 February 2018, 10:39
- Patriarch tells Jordanian king about reason for meeting with pope 15 February 2018, 18:32
- Land for building a church in Portugal allotted to the Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2018, 19:09
- Azerbaijani religious leaders to discuss Aliyev in sermons before election 14 February 2018, 16:55
- Patriarch Kirill meets with Abbas, favors preserving Jerusalem's special status 14 February 2018, 13:12
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis haven't planned new meeting - Metropolitan Hilarion 12 February 2018, 18:23
- The Russian Church considers the Kremlin list as direct pressure of the USA on Russian authorities and electorate 12 February 2018, 14:42
- Chief rabbi of Russia - against initiative of Poland law-makers to punish for wording 'Polish death camps' 12 February 2018, 11:30
- Church School of Post-Graduate and Doctoral Studies obtained state accreditation in Russia 09 February 2018, 18:02
- Ukrainian Security Service initiates a case against UOC priest for a post with St. Georgy ribbon in Facebook 09 February 2018, 17:23
- Quotas for tourists visiting St. Basil’s cathedral can be introduced after 2019 09 February 2018, 13:05
- Russian pro-lifer thanks Trump for struggling against abortions 09 February 2018, 11:34
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the repose of Russian pilot Roman Filipov killed in Syria 09 February 2018, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill speaks of 'unprecedented pressure' for purpose of compromising Russia's sports achievements 05 February 2018, 11:05
- Catalogue of Christian shrines destroyed in Syria compiled by Orthodox and Catholics will be represented in Vienna 02 February 2018, 17:28
- Russian society not ready for pope to visit - Catholic priest 02 February 2018, 14:22
- Patriarch Kirill blessed Russian Olympic athletes, urging them to mind personal responsibility before the country 01 February 2018, 16:54
- An ambulance was bought on money saved on flowers for Patriarch Kirill 01 February 2018, 14:49
- Putin to congratulate Patriarch Kirill on anniversary of his enthronement on Thursday 01 February 2018, 12:41