17 August 2016, 10:03
Russian Olympic athletes are in wonderful mood - the team father confessor
Moscow, August 17, Interfax - Father confessor of the Russian Olympic team, rector of St. Dimitry Church in Severnoye Butovo (district in the south east of Moscow) Archpriest Andrey Alexeyev tells about high mobilization of Russian athletes.
"Today our team is in very good condition. These people had to overcome trials and hardships and it made them concentrate innerly, and today, understanding their responsibility they worthily and nobly do their work representing a great country here, in these difficult conditions," Father Andrey said in his interview with Interfax-Religion.
According to him, Russian athletes manifest their dedication and not only desire to achieve results at the sports grounds, but also "to show dignity."
"It gives credit to our athletes and distinguish them from other participants in the Olympic Games, who unfortunately are often here," the priest said.
The priest also said that athletes often ask him to support, to pray, to attend their competitions, ask personal questions, questions caused by their interest to church life, address requests to pray for their parents, as "they worry a lot."
Answering the question what interesting incidents he can recall for the recent Olympic days the interviewee of the agency said that Russian athlete Stefania Yelfutina before winning a bronze medal in yachting together with her parents attended the all-night vigil in St. Zinaida Church in Rio de Janeiro.
"She came to pray to the all-night vigil, a tremulous soul of a person who searches God and hurries to the church in the evening, on the eve of trials. I remember vivid events connected with our handball team. We have warm relations with girls from the team. I attend their competitions on their request," the priest said.
- Radical Islamists step up work among young Russians - Patrushev 30 October 2020, 19:49
- Religious extremist organizations trying to strengthen their positions in Russia using migrants 30 October 2020, 19:48
- Russian mufti condemns attacks on innocent people, calls on Muslims to be above those who slander Islam 30 October 2020, 18:01
- Kremlin sees no connection between attack on police station in Tatarstan and events in France (updated) 30 October 2020, 16:41
- FJCR President puts on Charlie Hebdo indirect blame for the attack on church in Nice 30 October 2020, 13:42
- No world religions accept ideas of extremism - Peskov 30 October 2020, 13:26
- Tatarstan Interior Ministry denies Kukmor assailant was on police books as extremist-minded person 30 October 2020, 13:14
- Teenager who attacked police station in Tatarstan did not go to local mosques 30 October 2020, 11:50
- Islamist teenager shot dead after attacking police station in Russia's Tatarstan 30 October 2020, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill condemns Nice attack disguised by religious slogans 29 October 2020, 20:07
- Muslims holding unauthorized protest outside French embassy in Moscow 29 October 2020, 17:57
- Kremlin comments on Chechen authorities' plans to pay 100,000 rubles for naming newborns after Prophet Muhammad 29 October 2020, 16:34
- Putin calls attack at Nice church 'cynical, brutal crime,' says Russians share French people's anger, grief - Kremlin 29 October 2020, 16:33
- Religious affiliation in Russia in no way criterion for appointment, election to state posts - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:45
- Magazine similar to France's Charlie Hebdo impossible in Russia - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:35
- Unacceptable to insult feelings of believers, kill people for religious reasons - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:32
- Kremlin describes Nice church attack as 'absolutely horrific tragedy' 29 October 2020, 14:30
- Kadyrov describes his words addressed to Macron as gesture of Muslim, not politician 29 October 2020, 10:00
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy refuses to go to questionings for fear of contracting Covid-19 28 October 2020, 20:07
- Russian Orthodox Church shocked by changes at Istanbul's Chora Monastery recently turned into mosque 28 October 2020, 20:02
- Prosecutors seeking 18 years in penal colony for head of Russian cell of Aum Shinrikyo 28 October 2020, 18:14
- Kantor reelected president of European Jewish Congress 28 October 2020, 15:12
- Kadyrov urges Macron to stop backing publication of Prophet Muhammad cartoons 27 October 2020, 18:20
- Russian court rejects appeal from Jehovah's Witness from Denmark on replacing remaining prison term with fine 27 October 2020, 18:14
- Russia has 1 mln Jews - FJCR 27 October 2020, 10:56
- Head of the Church of Cyprus recognizes OCU autocephaly 26 October 2020, 13:30
- Tikhanovskaya urges religious communities to support the strike 26 October 2020, 12:07
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15