22 August 2016, 10:00
Religious component will not be strengthened in Russian education system - new education minister
Moscow, August 22, Interfax - Education and Science Minister Olga Vasilyeva told Interfax her research work in the sphere of history and religion should not be identified with work in her new post.
"I have studied the history of church in the years of the war, the relations between the state and church in the 20th century. It would be wrong to transfer, identify this research work with the work in the post of education minister," Vasilyeva said.
"My main principle is not to do harm. One should observe the golden middle everywhere. One thing cannot be put on the other here," she said.
Vasilyeva also said journalists often ask her about her patriotic convictions. "What do journalists draw this conclusion from? From my public lectures. But when I speak about patriotism, I speak sincerely, it's my inner conviction and I have never made a secret of it. I see patriotism as the national idea of our state," she said.
According to earlier reports, Vasilyeva defended a thesis entitled "The Soviet State and Patriotic Activities of the Russian Orthodox Church in the Years of the Great Patriotic War" in 1990 and a doctoral thesis entitled "Russian Orthodox Church in the Soviet State Policies in 1943-1948" in 1999.
In 1991-2002, Vasilyeva worked at the Center of the History of religion and Church of the Institute of Russian History of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
In 2002, she became head of the Department of religion studies at the Russian Academy of Public Service under the President of the Russian Federation. She is a member of the Council in charge of the preparation of programs on Russian History under the Russian Education and Science Ministry and a member of the Commission on the Affairs of Religious Associations under the Russian government. She is the author of some 150 pieces of research work, including seven monographs.
In the presidential administration, Vasilyeva was deputy head of the directorate on public projects.
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27
- Hegumen arrested after stabbing, injuring monk at Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius 24 May 2019, 19:10
- Putin congratulates Patriarch Kirill on name day, suggests he loosen up work schedule 24 May 2019, 17:48