22 August 2016, 10:00
Religious component will not be strengthened in Russian education system - new education minister
Moscow, August 22, Interfax - Education and Science Minister Olga Vasilyeva told Interfax her research work in the sphere of history and religion should not be identified with work in her new post.
"I have studied the history of church in the years of the war, the relations between the state and church in the 20th century. It would be wrong to transfer, identify this research work with the work in the post of education minister," Vasilyeva said.
"My main principle is not to do harm. One should observe the golden middle everywhere. One thing cannot be put on the other here," she said.
Vasilyeva also said journalists often ask her about her patriotic convictions. "What do journalists draw this conclusion from? From my public lectures. But when I speak about patriotism, I speak sincerely, it's my inner conviction and I have never made a secret of it. I see patriotism as the national idea of our state," she said.
According to earlier reports, Vasilyeva defended a thesis entitled "The Soviet State and Patriotic Activities of the Russian Orthodox Church in the Years of the Great Patriotic War" in 1990 and a doctoral thesis entitled "Russian Orthodox Church in the Soviet State Policies in 1943-1948" in 1999.
In 1991-2002, Vasilyeva worked at the Center of the History of religion and Church of the Institute of Russian History of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
In 2002, she became head of the Department of religion studies at the Russian Academy of Public Service under the President of the Russian Federation. She is a member of the Council in charge of the preparation of programs on Russian History under the Russian Education and Science Ministry and a member of the Commission on the Affairs of Religious Associations under the Russian government. She is the author of some 150 pieces of research work, including seven monographs.
In the presidential administration, Vasilyeva was deputy head of the directorate on public projects.
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51