22 August 2016, 10:00
Religious component will not be strengthened in Russian education system - new education minister
Moscow, August 22, Interfax - Education and Science Minister Olga Vasilyeva told Interfax her research work in the sphere of history and religion should not be identified with work in her new post.
"I have studied the history of church in the years of the war, the relations between the state and church in the 20th century. It would be wrong to transfer, identify this research work with the work in the post of education minister," Vasilyeva said.
"My main principle is not to do harm. One should observe the golden middle everywhere. One thing cannot be put on the other here," she said.
Vasilyeva also said journalists often ask her about her patriotic convictions. "What do journalists draw this conclusion from? From my public lectures. But when I speak about patriotism, I speak sincerely, it's my inner conviction and I have never made a secret of it. I see patriotism as the national idea of our state," she said.
According to earlier reports, Vasilyeva defended a thesis entitled "The Soviet State and Patriotic Activities of the Russian Orthodox Church in the Years of the Great Patriotic War" in 1990 and a doctoral thesis entitled "Russian Orthodox Church in the Soviet State Policies in 1943-1948" in 1999.
In 1991-2002, Vasilyeva worked at the Center of the History of religion and Church of the Institute of Russian History of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
In 2002, she became head of the Department of religion studies at the Russian Academy of Public Service under the President of the Russian Federation. She is a member of the Council in charge of the preparation of programs on Russian History under the Russian Education and Science Ministry and a member of the Commission on the Affairs of Religious Associations under the Russian government. She is the author of some 150 pieces of research work, including seven monographs.
In the presidential administration, Vasilyeva was deputy head of the directorate on public projects.
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport 14 September 2020, 13:28
- Catholics organize procession in Minsk to stop 'persecution of the Church', to bring back Kondrusiewicz 14 September 2020, 11:21
- Owner of a cafe in Ukrainian Uman pinned up a plate saying he wouldn't attend Chassids; the police initiates a case 14 September 2020, 10:19
- Russian Orthodox Church advises getting vaccinated against Covid-19 without delay 14 September 2020, 10:17
- Belarusian foreign minister discusses post-election situation with Vatican rep 11 September 2020, 20:16
- Pope invited to Minsk 11 September 2020, 20:14
- Vatican official arrives in Belarus 11 September 2020, 14:53
- Peskov calls demographic problem Russia's Achilles' heel 10 September 2020, 17:23