22 August 2016, 10:00
Religious component will not be strengthened in Russian education system - new education minister
Moscow, August 22, Interfax - Education and Science Minister Olga Vasilyeva told Interfax her research work in the sphere of history and religion should not be identified with work in her new post.
"I have studied the history of church in the years of the war, the relations between the state and church in the 20th century. It would be wrong to transfer, identify this research work with the work in the post of education minister," Vasilyeva said.
"My main principle is not to do harm. One should observe the golden middle everywhere. One thing cannot be put on the other here," she said.
Vasilyeva also said journalists often ask her about her patriotic convictions. "What do journalists draw this conclusion from? From my public lectures. But when I speak about patriotism, I speak sincerely, it's my inner conviction and I have never made a secret of it. I see patriotism as the national idea of our state," she said.
According to earlier reports, Vasilyeva defended a thesis entitled "The Soviet State and Patriotic Activities of the Russian Orthodox Church in the Years of the Great Patriotic War" in 1990 and a doctoral thesis entitled "Russian Orthodox Church in the Soviet State Policies in 1943-1948" in 1999.
In 1991-2002, Vasilyeva worked at the Center of the History of religion and Church of the Institute of Russian History of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
In 2002, she became head of the Department of religion studies at the Russian Academy of Public Service under the President of the Russian Federation. She is a member of the Council in charge of the preparation of programs on Russian History under the Russian Education and Science Ministry and a member of the Commission on the Affairs of Religious Associations under the Russian government. She is the author of some 150 pieces of research work, including seven monographs.
In the presidential administration, Vasilyeva was deputy head of the directorate on public projects.
- Zelensky urges clerics to back Ukraine's initiatives in run-up to Normandy-format summit 05 December 2019, 13:54
- Saint Isaac's Cathedral and 5 other churchs in St. Petersburg received bomb threats 05 December 2019, 13:52
- Serbian president invites Putin to attend opening of St. Sava Cathedral in Belgrade 04 December 2019, 19:35
- Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral alerted to bomb threat 03 December 2019, 20:55
- One year on OCU defectors account for less than 1% of our parishes - UOC 03 December 2019, 18:46
- Moscow Jewish Museum to break stereotypes - director 03 December 2019, 17:26
- FSB reports detention of 9 Hizb ut-Tahrir members recruited Muslims 03 December 2019, 14:12
- Russian Bishops' Council to assess global Orthodox situation in near future 02 December 2019, 20:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for end of infowar between Ukraine, Russia 02 December 2019, 18:45
- Russian Patriarch Kirill invited to Estonia by country's Lutheran leader 29 November 2019, 18:31
- Moscow court arrests U.S. rabbi in absentia in Schneerson library case 29 November 2019, 13:56
- Putin notes importance of coordination with OIC in countering threats 29 November 2019, 12:04
- Abortion rate in Russia declines considerably in past 18 years 28 November 2019, 19:06
- Patriarch of Alexandria sends kisses to head of OCU 28 November 2019, 18:29
- FJCR sees plans to arrest U.S. rabbi in Schneerson library case as absurd 28 November 2019, 17:23
- Bulgarian Church takes step toward recognizing OCU 28 November 2019, 17:21
- Ukraine has seen no attacks motivated by anti-Semitism in past 3 years - Association of Jewish Communities 27 November 2019, 17:18
- ROCOR to build new church in U.S 27 November 2019, 17:17
- Orthodox priest in Russia's Jewish Autonomous Region suspected of child molestation 26 November 2019, 14:25
- Georgian patriarch, foreign ambassadors discuss detention of doctor Gaprindashvili in S. Ossetia 26 November 2019, 10:07
- Interreligious Council of Russia calls on int'l community to restore Middle East's holy sites 25 November 2019, 20:28
- Sholem Aleichem monument vandalized near synagogue in Kiev 25 November 2019, 18:46
- Russian parliament, govt agree that extra measures needed to fight domestic violence - Matviyenko 25 November 2019, 16:06
- Russian Orthodox Church cautions against combating domestic violence with Western methods 25 November 2019, 16:05
- Patriarch Kirill suspends operation of Alexandria Patriarchate's Moscow mission 25 November 2019, 11:35
- Meeting between heads of Churches important in crisis in inter-Orthodox relations - Metropolitan Hilarion 22 November 2019, 15:41
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes Jerusalem patriarch's proposal of Church leaders' meeting to settle differences 21 November 2019, 20:50
- Patriarch of Jerusalem awarded for strengthening Orthodox Christian unity 21 November 2019, 20:47
- Patriarch of Jerusalem initiates meeting of heads of local churches in Amman with view to preserving church unity 21 November 2019, 17:22
- Putin stresses importance of joint efforts to protect Christians in Middle East 20 November 2019, 21:09