22 August 2016, 15:35
Russian Jewish community waiting for explanation of Vasilyeva's attitude to Stalin era
Moscow, August 22, Interfax - The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia (FJCR) has urged the new education minister Olga Vasilyeva to clarify her attitude to the era of terror under Stalin.
"I hope for a clarification of the matter. I believe it is very important for the new minister to explain her attitude and not leave room for ambiguity because this is vital not only for education in Russia but for the future of the country in general," head of the FJCR PR department Boruch Gorin told Interfax-Religion on Monday.
He said that in the course of the public debate on Vasilyeva's appointment quotations have cropped up "which being torn out of context don't add optimism about the new education minister."
"If talk of the efficiency of the Stalin period and the exaggeration of the ideas of the atmosphere of terror that existed then are in question, this talk is very familiar to me because this is the style of talk of deniers of the Holocaust - that allegedly in reality someone sometimes engaged in the Holocaust but it was not so often, not so much and not too bad. And try to prove the opposite to them. The deniers of Holocaust usually claim that there are no thousands of witnesses who remember not so much the numbers and figures, but what happened is the atmosphere of terror and persecution of a group of people," Gorin said.
"Therefore any attempts to show greater understanding for the Stalin era as it often happens - the time was like that, etc - scare me greatly because I believe that the Stalin era was deadly for Russia. A whole class of people was destroyed. Free thought and post-revolutionary enthusiasm were destroyed and replaced by fear of terror," Gorin said.
He said that if Vasilyeva truly said what was published in the media on the subject "and we have not heard refutations, then it is a bad sign."
"As far as her organizational skills, her understanding of problems of education are concerned, I cannot say anything about them. I don't know her at all. I don't know her work experience. We will see," Gorin said.
- Metropolitan Hilarion disagrees with Church of England head that Jesus might have been Black 13 July 2020, 10:05
- Hagia Sophia would have remained museum if Turkey had authoritative Christian Orthodox leader - senator Klishas 13 July 2020, 10:02
- Moscow expects Turkey to fully fulfil its obligations linked to Hagia Sopia's UNESCO site status - Deputy FM Grushko 13 July 2020, 10:00
- Turkey's position on Hagia Sophia aimed at boosting domestic ratings, regretful - Slutsky 10 July 2020, 21:47
- Revocation of Hagia Sophia's museum status a blow to Orthodox Christianity - Metropolitan Hilarion 10 July 2020, 19:50
- Russian Orthodox Church says turning Hagia Sophia into mosque will have consequences for all of humankind 10 July 2020, 19:21
- Decision on Hagia Sophia undermines Ankara's int'l authority - Kosachyov 10 July 2020, 18:31
- Russian Orthodox Church regrets Turkey's failure to heed millions of Christians' concerns about status of Hagia Sophia 10 July 2020, 17:03
- Kremlin has more important things to do than watch film on LGBT situation in Chechnya - Peskov 10 July 2020, 16:59
- Georgian Patriarchate concerned about Turkish authorities' idea of making Hagia Sophia mosque 10 July 2020, 10:36
- Russians become more loyal to marriages with non-Christians 08 July 2020, 12:14
- Disgraced Father Sergy planning to hold his own religious procession in Ural region on Royal Days 07 July 2020, 18:49
- Six Muslims detained in Crimea on suspicion of involvement in Hizb ut-Tahrir 07 July 2020, 16:09
- Kremlin not following situation surrounding rebellious Urals cleric Sergy - Peskov 07 July 2020, 14:55
- Court in Sverdlovsk Region fines ex-priest Sergy 90,000 rubles for spreading false information 07 July 2020, 13:52
- Hagia Sophia in Istanbul should remain symbol of interfaith accord - State Duma 07 July 2020, 10:19
- Yekaterinburg metropolitan rebukes rebellious monk Sergy for glorifying Stalin 07 July 2020, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill calls for preserving Hagia Sophia's museum status (updated) 06 July 2020, 15:43
- Kremlin hopes Hagia Sophia's global significance, sacred value to be accounted for in determining its status in Turkey 06 July 2020, 14:03
- Russian Foreign Ministry hopes global significance of Hagia Sophia will be taken into account when determining its status 06 July 2020, 12:48
- Russian Orthodox Church calls Hagia Sophia's transformation into mosque inadmissible 06 July 2020, 10:20
- Putin states need for public monitoring of LGBT propaganda 03 July 2020, 18:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion: Hagia Sophia is heritage of entire mankind 03 July 2020, 18:25
- Russia hasn't restricted, won't restrict rights based on race, sexual orientation - Putin 03 July 2020, 17:51
- Putin comments on LGBT flag flying over U.S. embassy building in Moscow 03 July 2020, 17:46
- Church court defrocks Urals Schema-Hegumen Sergy, who cursed people who closed churches 03 July 2020, 13:09
- All members of the Jewish community in Moscow recovered from coronavirus 03 July 2020, 12:40
- Mufti Tajuddin proposes making Hagia Sophia common prayer-house for Muslims and Christians 03 July 2020, 10:09
- Duma's Tolstoy sees demonstration of LGBT flags on embassy buildings in Moscow as attempt to influence voting on constitutional amendments 02 July 2020, 12:39
- The FJCR president believes other countries to appreciate the importance of amendment about marriage as a union between a man and a woman 02 July 2020, 12:36