08 September 2016, 13:01
Patriarch Kirill prays for peace near the USA frontier
*** He reminds Russia and the USA are close neighbors located in four kilometers from each other
Ratmanov Island, September 8, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia conducted a prayer service for peace and protecting environment at the USA frontier - on the Russian Ratmanov Island in the middle of the Bering Straight.
Only 3750 meters separates this easternmost point of Russia from Krusenstern Island (Little Diomede), which is the USA territory. According to the frontier guards, only about 50 people have ever visited the island.
The patriarch came to Ratmanov Island on a MI-8 helicopter from Lavrentia frontier village located in the continental part of Chukotka, and then reached the worship cross at the island bank going by the land-rover through a swampy tundra.
"Let's pray for peace in the whole world. Let's pray for good friendly relations between Russia and the United States, we are neighbors. It is difficult to imagine, but we are very close neighbors, we live in four kilometers from each other," the patriarch said to the clerics, frontier guards and journalists, who accompanied him.
The primate prayed for "preserving God's creation so that human sin should not destroy God-granted beauty of this world."
According to him, in such places as Ratmanov Island "filled with great sense and meaning," you cannot help thinking about many things.
"Certainly, you think about our people, about our country. But your thought go further, you think about the world, about people living on our planet. It is so strange to realize that on this Earth, so beautiful, so diverse, so magnificent, granted by God - people often live bad," he said.
Speaking about it, he reminded that "human race continues wars, clashes, madness of terror attacks, people destroy nature only because they strive to increase the level of their consumption, they exhaust resources and pollute the Earth."
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14