13 September 2016, 17:57
Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church accuses law enforcement agencies of pressure on its clergy
Moscow, September 13, Interfax - The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate sees heightened pressure on its representatives on the part of the Ukrainian law enforcement agencies.
"The Ukrainian Orthodox Church has repeatedly urged the responsible state agencies to solve numerous outright and brazen crimes against believers and freedom of conscience which have been perpetrated over the past two years," the Ukrainian Orthodox Church information and educational department said in a statement published on its website.
Information about the results of the investigation into the assassination of priest Roman Nikolayev and nun Alevtina (Kravchuk), revelation of the details of the kidnapping of the mother superior and a nun from a Kiev monastery and the beating of parishioners by radicals in the village of Katerynovka in the Ternopol region is still lacking, the document said.
"Dozens of instances of hostile takeovers of the church's facilities have not been averted and investigated, necessary investigative actions to find those who have committed 11 arsons of Orthodox churches in Kiev have not been undertaken. No case against blatant instances of instigating religious strife and calls to aggression against believers by some politicians and officials during the All-Ukrainian Religious Procession has been initiated," the statement said.
Reminding of the progress of the investigation into the criminal case, the theory of which is that late Metropolitan Vladimir of Kiev and All Ukraine was allegedly targeted for forcible ousting from the rule of the Church, the authors of the statement called these speculations which are untrue.
"Against the backdrop of this flagrant negligence by the law enforcement agencies in relation to the crimes against life, health and observation of the right to freedom of conscience of faithful Ukrainian citizens, the prosecution service's insistent striving to examine the circumstances of the last years of His Beatitude Metropolitan Vladimir being at the helm of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church causes deep concerns," the synodal department said.
"Given the evident groundlessness of the need for the criminal proceedings regarding the circumstances of late His Beatitude Metropolitan Vladimir's service, as well as numerous statements by some Ukrainian politicians against the existence of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Ukraine, there are serious reasons to speak about the pressure on the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's clergymen by the law enforcement agencies," the department said.
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07
- Archpriest Chaplin died of heart attack 27 January 2020, 18:51
- Russian Church accuses Constantinople for ingratitude and Russophobia 27 January 2020, 18:45
- Court bans leader of Murmansk Jehovah's Witnesses from talking to fellow members, using Internet 27 January 2020, 12:03
- Well-known priest Vsevolod Chaplin dies in Moscow 26 January 2020, 22:36
- FJCR hopes Marshal Konev monument in Prague won't be demolished 24 January 2020, 19:54