13 September 2016, 17:57
Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church accuses law enforcement agencies of pressure on its clergy
Moscow, September 13, Interfax - The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate sees heightened pressure on its representatives on the part of the Ukrainian law enforcement agencies.
"The Ukrainian Orthodox Church has repeatedly urged the responsible state agencies to solve numerous outright and brazen crimes against believers and freedom of conscience which have been perpetrated over the past two years," the Ukrainian Orthodox Church information and educational department said in a statement published on its website.
Information about the results of the investigation into the assassination of priest Roman Nikolayev and nun Alevtina (Kravchuk), revelation of the details of the kidnapping of the mother superior and a nun from a Kiev monastery and the beating of parishioners by radicals in the village of Katerynovka in the Ternopol region is still lacking, the document said.
"Dozens of instances of hostile takeovers of the church's facilities have not been averted and investigated, necessary investigative actions to find those who have committed 11 arsons of Orthodox churches in Kiev have not been undertaken. No case against blatant instances of instigating religious strife and calls to aggression against believers by some politicians and officials during the All-Ukrainian Religious Procession has been initiated," the statement said.
Reminding of the progress of the investigation into the criminal case, the theory of which is that late Metropolitan Vladimir of Kiev and All Ukraine was allegedly targeted for forcible ousting from the rule of the Church, the authors of the statement called these speculations which are untrue.
"Against the backdrop of this flagrant negligence by the law enforcement agencies in relation to the crimes against life, health and observation of the right to freedom of conscience of faithful Ukrainian citizens, the prosecution service's insistent striving to examine the circumstances of the last years of His Beatitude Metropolitan Vladimir being at the helm of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church causes deep concerns," the synodal department said.
"Given the evident groundlessness of the need for the criminal proceedings regarding the circumstances of late His Beatitude Metropolitan Vladimir's service, as well as numerous statements by some Ukrainian politicians against the existence of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Ukraine, there are serious reasons to speak about the pressure on the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's clergymen by the law enforcement agencies," the department said.
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22