22 September 2016, 15:28
Court prolongs until mid December arrest of MSU student accused of attempt to join ISIL
Moscow, September 22, Interfax - The Moscow District Military Court has prolonged until mid December the arrest of Moscow State University (MSU) student Alexandra Ivanova (Varvara Karaulova), who is accused of an attempt to join Islamic State (ISIL, terrorist organization banned in Russia), an Interfax correspondent has reported, citing a decision made by Justice Alexander Ababkov, which was read on Thursday following the hearing on whether Ivanova should remain under arrest during the trial of the case.
"The court has decided to prolong the arrest of the accused Alexandra Pavlovna Ivanova until December 13," the judge said.
The court thus granted the state prosecutors' request and declined the defense lawyers' request to put Ivanova under house arrest, release her on bail or on her own recognizance.
According to earlier reports, Ivanova (Karaulova) was charged with an attempt to participate in a terrorist organization.
According to the case materials, Ivanova (Karaulova) admitted her guilt when she was questioned as an accused person. The student's parents said the young woman could not overcome her pathological infatuation with her virtual boyfriend, who turned out to be a recruiter for Islamists.
The student went missing in Moscow on May 27, 2015 after she left for university, but did not show up for classes. In early June, it was reported that 13 Russians (including Karaulova), who allegedly planned to join the terrorist organization Islamic State, had been detained on the Turkish-Syrian border. Karaulova returned to Moscow on June 11. She later changed her name.
The investigators believe the young woman had continued talking to the ISIL recruiter after returning home and intended to go to Syria again.
Alexandra Ivanova (Varvara Karaulova) has been held in the Lefortovo detention facility since October 2015. Her arrest was last prolonged until September 27.
The judicial psychiatric evaluation ordered by investigators, which was performed in the Serbsky Institute, showed that the young woman is sane.
The defense lawyers for the young woman have filed a lawsuit with the European Court of Human Rights contesting her arrest and the irregularities committed by the Federal Security Service against her during the investigation.
- Epiphany bathing held at the pole of cold in Yakutia at 63 degrees below zero 19 January 2018, 16:34
- Putin's Epiphany dip shown in media because it took place in public with many believers present - Peskov 19 January 2018, 16:13
- Putin takes part in Orthodox Epiphany bathing in Tver Region monastery 19 January 2018, 11:38
- Russian Orthodox priests to consecrate all oceans on Epiphany eve 18 January 2018, 15:58
- Continued attacks on churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2018, 16:42
- Priest Grozovsky to appeal 14-year pedophilia sentence 17 January 2018, 10:32
- Priest Grozovsky gets 14 years in high-security prison for pedophilia 17 January 2018, 10:12
- Directorate of Muslims of Uzbekistan disagrees with U.S. State Dept analysis of religious freedom in republic 15 January 2018, 16:24
- Putin's comparison of Lenin Mausoleum to veneration of holy relics not sensational - Peskov 15 January 2018, 14:08
- Putin defines New Valaam Monastery relics saved by Finland as unifying force 15 January 2018, 10:44
- Putin's words about similarity of Communism, Christianity smooth things over Lenin Mausoleum - CPRF 15 January 2018, 10:43
- Communist ideology similar to Christianity - Putin 15 January 2018, 10:00
- Russians have become more intolerant to treachery, abortions and homosexual connections for twenty years - poll 11 January 2018, 17:56
- Brother of leader of Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan calls on extremists to 'open their eyes' 11 January 2018, 17:39
- Orthodox children in Syrian Latakia received Christmas gifts from Moscow parish 09 January 2018, 18:41
- St. Petersburg among Russia's top three most popular places to spend Orthodox Christmas 09 January 2018, 14:36
- Patriarch Kirill concerned by social disintegration 07 January 2018, 16:57
- Church not going to hinder expert work on "Yekaterinburg remains" - Patriarch Kirill 07 January 2018, 16:56
- Putin offers Christmas greetings to Orthodox Christians 07 January 2018, 11:18
- Russia can have twice as many churches in 30 years - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:26
- Not less than 120 churches in Syria need to be restored - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:02
- Priestly ordination gives Feodor Konyukhov special power, his wife believes 25 December 2017, 16:31
- No one needs conflict in Donbass, it weakens all those involved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 13:06
- All conditions of prisoner exchange in Donbass approved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 11:43
- All ethnic and religious groups, parties and armed groups invited to Syrian National Dialogue Congress - Shoigu 22 December 2017, 17:40
- Scharansky is impressed by positive changes in life of Russian Jews 22 December 2017, 10:51
- Vucic invites Putin to Belgrade for 800th anniversary of autocephaly of Serbian Orthodox Church 20 December 2017, 10:43
- Governors should be evaluated for their affairs, not longevity of their rule, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 18 December 2017, 20:39
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls provocation Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel capital 18 December 2017, 16:01
- Not only Jews should participate in visits to Auschwitz, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia believes 18 December 2017, 14:52