22 September 2016, 15:28
Court prolongs until mid December arrest of MSU student accused of attempt to join ISIL
Moscow, September 22, Interfax - The Moscow District Military Court has prolonged until mid December the arrest of Moscow State University (MSU) student Alexandra Ivanova (Varvara Karaulova), who is accused of an attempt to join Islamic State (ISIL, terrorist organization banned in Russia), an Interfax correspondent has reported, citing a decision made by Justice Alexander Ababkov, which was read on Thursday following the hearing on whether Ivanova should remain under arrest during the trial of the case.
"The court has decided to prolong the arrest of the accused Alexandra Pavlovna Ivanova until December 13," the judge said.
The court thus granted the state prosecutors' request and declined the defense lawyers' request to put Ivanova under house arrest, release her on bail or on her own recognizance.
According to earlier reports, Ivanova (Karaulova) was charged with an attempt to participate in a terrorist organization.
According to the case materials, Ivanova (Karaulova) admitted her guilt when she was questioned as an accused person. The student's parents said the young woman could not overcome her pathological infatuation with her virtual boyfriend, who turned out to be a recruiter for Islamists.
The student went missing in Moscow on May 27, 2015 after she left for university, but did not show up for classes. In early June, it was reported that 13 Russians (including Karaulova), who allegedly planned to join the terrorist organization Islamic State, had been detained on the Turkish-Syrian border. Karaulova returned to Moscow on June 11. She later changed her name.
The investigators believe the young woman had continued talking to the ISIL recruiter after returning home and intended to go to Syria again.
Alexandra Ivanova (Varvara Karaulova) has been held in the Lefortovo detention facility since October 2015. Her arrest was last prolonged until September 27.
The judicial psychiatric evaluation ordered by investigators, which was performed in the Serbsky Institute, showed that the young woman is sane.
The defense lawyers for the young woman have filed a lawsuit with the European Court of Human Rights contesting her arrest and the irregularities committed by the Federal Security Service against her during the investigation.
- "Kiev Patriarchate" to nominate 2 candidates for head of Ukraine's unified church - source 14 December 2018, 13:03
- Patriarch Kirill urges political, religious leaders worldwide to defend Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 14 December 2018, 11:21
- Over half of Ukrainian Orthodox archbishops return unification assembly invites to Bartholomew 13 December 2018, 18:56
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church protests over service performed by Constantinople rep in Kiev 13 December 2018, 18:55
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's main proponent of independence from Moscow rejects version of autocephaly proposed by Constantinople 13 December 2018, 18:02
- Ukraine's Culture Ministry inspecting museum collections of Kiev-Pechersk, Pochayev monasteries 13 December 2018, 17:59
- SBU says found evidence of 'inciting interethnic strife' in searches, interrogations of Ukrainian Orthodox clergy 13 December 2018, 14:45
- Russian Orthodox Church urges U.S. to change approach toward assessing religious freedom 12 December 2018, 14:14
- "Kiev Patriarchate" head threatens to disrupt unification assembly 10 December 2018, 18:28
- SBU officials didn't let Donetsk metropolitan cross contact line 10 December 2018, 16:12
- Poroshenko asks Metropolitan Onufry to help have Ukrainian naval sailors freed 10 December 2018, 11:06
- "Unification gathering" in Ukraine has no legitimacy - Russian Orthodox Church 10 December 2018, 11:02
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36
- Metropolitan Onufry returns to Istanbul invitation to unification assembly 07 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian police find no extremism in Jewish movement Shahar leader's actions 07 December 2018, 12:59
- IOPS to open division in Istanbul despite patriarch Bartholomew's opinion 07 December 2018, 12:13
- Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly 07 December 2018, 12:09
- Ukraine's new Orthodox church will be independent - Poroshenko's entourage 07 December 2018, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill accuses Poroshenko of interfering in religious affairs 07 December 2018, 10:42
- Russian FM, Vatican sec call for boosting bilateral ties 07 December 2018, 10:40
- Ukrainian authorities use Stalin-era methods to seek tomos - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 December 2018, 17:45
- Ukrainian presidential advisor describes future local Ukrainian church 06 December 2018, 16:50
- Ukrainian authorities' accusations of canonical Church are revenge for latter's independence - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 16:38
- Ukrainian Autocephalic Orthodox Church not to nominate candidates for post of head of "unified local church" 06 December 2018, 14:41
- Unification assembly in Ukraine is unacceptable amid repression of Orthodox Christians - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 14:38
- Metropolitan of Sarny and Polesye asks Putin to release Ukrainian sailors 06 December 2018, 11:26
- Filaret won't seek post of head of Ukraine's local autocephalous church 06 December 2018, 11:22
- Orthodox priests from Rovno, Sarny questioned in treason, religious hatred inquiry - Ukrainian Security Service 06 December 2018, 11:19
- Russian embassy outraged by Constantinople 'ascribing' itself Russian church in Pyongyang 06 December 2018, 11:16