23 September 2016, 17:46
Politicians stand in way of Orthodox unification in Ukraine - head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Moscow, September 23, Interfax - The overcoming of the schism in the Ukrainian Church must be free from political conjuncture, according to Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine.
"Politicians sometimes misunderstand the nature of the Church. The path towards unification of the Orthodoxy in Ukraine requires patience, the political conflict is hampering this process," the metropolitan said at a meeting with Swiss diplomats at the Kiev Laura of the Caves.
The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate (UOC) is open to those currently in the schism there are ways towards unification but they must not depend on the political conjuncture, the Ukrainian Church leader was quoted by a UOC spokesperson as saying on Friday.
Today, the UOC remains the main link connecting residents of the war-torn eastern regions of Ukraine and people living in the rest of the country, he said.
On June 16, Verkhovnaya Rada approved an appeal to Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople to issue a tomos (decree) on an autocephaly of the Orthodox Church in Ukraine and invalidate a 1686 act whereby the Kiev Metropolia was made part of the Moscow Patriarchate ostensibly "in violation of the canons." Constantinople never replied to the appeal.
Ukraine has three active Orthodox religious organizations: the UOC and two Churches that are not recognized in the Orthodox world: the Kiev Patriarchate and the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church.
Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko more than once spoke for establishing a local Orthodox Church in the country. One of the goals is to divide the Ukrainian Orthodox Church from the Moscow Patriarchate.
- FSB reports detention of 6 terrorist cell members in Dzhankoi, Yalta 17 August 2022, 12:02
- Almost all the priests of one of the African countries wants to join the Russian Church 16 August 2022, 10:01
- Over 70% of Russians think authorities should be involved in promoting moral climate in society 15 August 2022, 17:28
- Presidents of Russia, Israel agree to continue departmental contacts regarding Jewish Agency for Israel 09 August 2022, 13:49
- Pope Francis holds lengthy meeting with head of Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept 05 August 2022, 16:49
- 'Foreign ministers' of Russian Orthodox Church, Holy See meet in Vatican 04 August 2022, 16:44
- Zelensky tasks PM with considering legalization of same-sex marriages in Ukraine 03 August 2022, 14:38
- Pope to pay visit to Kazakhstan on Sept 13-15 01 August 2022, 13:55
- Kremlin refuses to comment on situation surrounding Jewish Agency for Israel 29 July 2022, 14:48
- Patriarch Kirill describes all Orthodox Ukrainians as children of Russian Orthodox Church 28 July 2022, 22:27
- Russian State Duma speaker says is certain bills banning propaganda of non-traditional values will be adopted 28 July 2022, 11:39
- Russian Church views Patriarch Kirill's ban on entry to Lithuania as abandoning European legal tradition 27 July 2022, 19:28
- Patriarch Kirill banned from entering Lithuania until 2027 27 July 2022, 18:15
- FJCR claims that they have not received notifications about the closure 27 July 2022, 14:25
- The return of Alexander Metochin to Russia outside the competence of the Jewish community – FJCR 27 July 2022, 14:18
- Israel ready for talks with Russia on Jewish Agency situation – PM 27 July 2022, 14:10
- Russian Church doubles the number of its clerics in Africa in seven months 27 July 2022, 11:33
- Situation surrounding Jewish Agency for Israel in Russia should not be politicized - Kremlin 26 July 2022, 17:27
- Russian court asked to declare Tajik Islamic Renaissance Party terrorist organization 25 July 2022, 18:13
- Person behind blast at Orthodox school in Russia's Serpukhov given 13-year term 25 July 2022, 15:47
- Blast rocks church in Syria at its inauguration ceremony 25 July 2022, 11:41
- Orthodox Church of Jerusalem urges West to stop attacks on Patriarch Kirill 22 July 2022, 21:40
- Intention to close down Jewish Agency for Israel in Russia linked not to 'brain drain', but to compliance with Russian laws - Kremlin 22 July 2022, 18:10
- The Federation of Jewish Communities concerned about plans to eliminate Sochnut in Russia 22 July 2022, 18:06
- Tajik president warns of danger of religious extremism ideology 21 July 2022, 17:28
- Russian Justice Ministry's Moscow branch seeks to shut down Jewish Agency for Israel 21 July 2022, 15:40
- Tretyakov Gallery dismisses as 'premature' talk about time of Rublev's Trinity return on permanent display 19 July 2022, 19:39
- Rublev's Trinity icon returned from Trinity Lavra to Tretyakov Gallery with no signs of deterioration 19 July 2022, 16:05
- Bill banning propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 18 July 2022, 16:41
- Rublev's Trinity icon delivered to Trinity Lavra in special climate-controlled display case 18 July 2022, 10:07