23 September 2016, 17:46
Politicians stand in way of Orthodox unification in Ukraine - head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Moscow, September 23, Interfax - The overcoming of the schism in the Ukrainian Church must be free from political conjuncture, according to Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine.
"Politicians sometimes misunderstand the nature of the Church. The path towards unification of the Orthodoxy in Ukraine requires patience, the political conflict is hampering this process," the metropolitan said at a meeting with Swiss diplomats at the Kiev Laura of the Caves.
The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate (UOC) is open to those currently in the schism there are ways towards unification but they must not depend on the political conjuncture, the Ukrainian Church leader was quoted by a UOC spokesperson as saying on Friday.
Today, the UOC remains the main link connecting residents of the war-torn eastern regions of Ukraine and people living in the rest of the country, he said.
On June 16, Verkhovnaya Rada approved an appeal to Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople to issue a tomos (decree) on an autocephaly of the Orthodox Church in Ukraine and invalidate a 1686 act whereby the Kiev Metropolia was made part of the Moscow Patriarchate ostensibly "in violation of the canons." Constantinople never replied to the appeal.
Ukraine has three active Orthodox religious organizations: the UOC and two Churches that are not recognized in the Orthodox world: the Kiev Patriarchate and the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church.
Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko more than once spoke for establishing a local Orthodox Church in the country. One of the goals is to divide the Ukrainian Orthodox Church from the Moscow Patriarchate.
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42