07 October 2016, 10:16
Royal Geographical Society to host photo show dedicated to Patriarch Kirill, Russian Orthodox Church in London
Moscow, October 7, Interfax - The British Royal Geographic Society will host a photo exhibition dedicated to the pastoral tours of Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and the history of the Russian Orthodox Church on the British soil on the occasion of the patriarch's visit to the United Kingdom.
The agenda of the patriarch's visit includes attending this exhibition, the Sourozh Diocese uniting the parishes of the Moscow Patriarchate in the UK and Ireland told Interfax-Religion.
The visit of Patriarch Kirill will take place on October 15-18, and coincide with the 300th anniversary of the Russian Orthodox Church's presence in the UK.
"Opening of a parish of the Russian Orthodox Church in the Russian Embassy in 1716 became a starting point of development of the Russian Orthodox Christianity in England. Out of a small church in the embassy, the Russian Church spread its presence all over the territory of the British Isles," the diocese said.
The main event of the visit will be consecration of the Cathedral of the Dormition of the Mother of God in London following a large-scale reconstruction on October 16. The representatives of the local Orthodox Churches are expected to participate in the sacred service.
On the day of the arrival, the patriarch will visit the premises on 32 Welbeck Street, where the Russian Orthodox Christian parish was located for over 100 years, and deliver a prayer there. He will head the night service in the London cathedral of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia on the same day.
Patriarch Kirill will also consecrate a new tombstone on the grave of Metropolitan Anthony of Sourozh, who made a significant contribution to establishment of the Russian community in the middle of 20th century and invested many efforts in development of the Sourozh Diocese formed in 1962.
Before he leaves, the patriarch will visit the Lambeth Palace and the Buckingham Palace, where he will meet the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Queen Elizabeth II, respectively, the diocese said.
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarch Kirill of Moscow might meet with Pope Francis, no date, venue planned so far (updated) 06 December 2021, 17:54
- Most Russians say mocking church, national history, customs of other peoples unacceptable – poll 06 December 2021, 12:26
- Matviyenko views push for LGBT agenda, other alien values as unacceptable 06 December 2021, 11:10
- Russian Church believes that Russia's foreign enemies behind anti-vaxxer campaign in country 06 December 2021, 10:08
- Lawyers for defrocked priest Sergy to appeal conviction 30 November 2021, 18:13
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy sentenced to 3.5 years in prison (updated) 30 November 2021, 17:16
- Patriarch Kirill believes that the Kingdom of Heaven is bigger than cosmos 30 November 2021, 11:18
- Jews of Russia against celebrating Hanukkah together with Christmas in mixed families 30 November 2021, 11:12
- The anti-Covid restrictions on Hanukkah in Russia have been slightly relaxed 30 November 2021, 11:02
- Hermitage cat Seraphima goes to work in the Peter and Paul Cathedral 30 November 2021, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Kazakhstan to Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions 26 November 2021, 16:18
- Some "missionaries" of an extremist organization banned in the Russia convicted in Saratov 26 November 2021, 16:14
- The head of Belarusian Orthodox Church urged to treat migrants as "aliens" 24 November 2021, 15:39
- Rabbi Lazar concerned that the pandemic sometimes considered a Jewish conspiracy 24 November 2021, 15:33
- Patriarch Kirill describes ecclesiastical split in Ukraine as his personal woe 22 November 2021, 19:33
- Covid-19 pandemic won't last long, but will allow humanity to critically assess its capabilities - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 16:52
- Patriarch Kirill views Russia as leader of free world 22 November 2021, 16:35
- Russian Orthodox Church denies U.S. claims of violations of religious freedom in Russia 22 November 2021, 11:05
- Problem of church schism in Ukraine may be resolved through dialogue - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 11:02
- Putin bestows Order of St. Andrew on Patriarch Kirill, notes highest regard to him in Russia, abroad 22 November 2021, 10:54
- Jehovah's Witnesses elders detained in Russia's Astrakhan Region 18 November 2021, 16:45
- Court in Moscow fines Muz-TV 1 mln rubles for propaganda of homosexuality among minors 17 November 2021, 15:40
- Website of Side by Side festival blocked for forming positive attitude toward LGBT content 17 November 2021, 15:38
- Imam and one more person killed in Dagestani village shooting 12 November 2021, 20:25
- Prosecution service detects justification of terrorism, extremism in materials of Memorial human rights center 12 November 2021, 17:59
- Cell of Nurjular extremist organization, banned in Russia, shut down in Tatarstan 12 November 2021, 17:09
- The Russian synagogues didn't turn off the lights until morning In memory of the Kristallnacht 10 November 2021, 10:14
- Russian PM satisfied with Pope's attitude to Moscow's views on int'l issues 09 November 2021, 21:55
- MP does not rule out eventual genomic registration of all Russians 04 November 2021, 10:29
- Russian Church warns against turning vaccination into factor of national division 02 November 2021, 19:55