17 October 2016, 10:07
Patriarch Kirill becomes an honorable member of the British Royal Geographic Society
*** He presented to the members of the Society his picture with penguins made in Antarctica this year
London, October 16, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia became a member of the Royal Geographic Society of Britain.
The ceremony was held on Sunday in London as the primate came to the city to celebrate 300 years of the presence of Russian Orthodoxy in the British Isles.
"I managed to visit 120 countries during my life. Some of them have disappeared from the face of the Earth," the patriarch said at the ceremony in London.
"I can compare what was there 40-50 years ago and what is there today. It enriches me very much, it helps me understand many things going on in the world today," he said.
The patriarch told that he had to travel a lot in Russia, "especially to the Far East, North, Siberia, because today a powerful revival of the Orthodox faith takes place there."
He said that he was always glad to meet with local residents, with small nations. "These small nations bear a powerful spiritual charge, they live in the conditions, in which we cannot survive."
Patriarch Kirill also presented the members of the Society his picture with penguins made in Antarctica.
A photo exhibition dedicated to the history of Orthodoxy in Britain and Patriarch Kirill's trips was also opened there.
Patriarch Kirill chaired the Department for External Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate in 1989-2009 and visited Great Britain four times. He visited about 120 countries during his life, including 27 countries he visited after his election to the patriarchal see.
- Kadyrov describes his words addressed to Macron as gesture of Muslim, not politician 29 October 2020, 10:00
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy refuses to go to questionings for fear of contracting Covid-19 28 October 2020, 20:07
- Russian Orthodox Church shocked by changes at Istanbul's Chora Monastery recently turned into mosque 28 October 2020, 20:02
- Prosecutors seeking 18 years in penal colony for head of Russian cell of Aum Shinrikyo 28 October 2020, 18:14
- Kantor reelected president of European Jewish Congress 28 October 2020, 15:12
- Kadyrov urges Macron to stop backing publication of Prophet Muhammad cartoons 27 October 2020, 18:20
- Russian court rejects appeal from Jehovah's Witness from Denmark on replacing remaining prison term with fine 27 October 2020, 18:14
- Russia has 1 mln Jews - FJCR 27 October 2020, 10:56
- Head of the Church of Cyprus recognizes OCU autocephaly 26 October 2020, 13:30
- Tikhanovskaya urges religious communities to support the strike 26 October 2020, 12:07
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15
- Estonia to hold a referendum on marriage as a union of man and woman in spring 22 October 2020, 19:50
- Russian Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov dies 21 October 2020, 20:31
- Attackers of Hasid teens in Uman must be brought to account - Ukraine's foreign minister 20 October 2020, 10:43
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz in Vatican, discusses his return to Belarus 20 October 2020, 10:41
- Catholics conveyed a church in the center of Spanish Granada to Moscow Patriarchate 15 October 2020, 18:29
- Head of Russian Catholics contracts coronavirus 15 October 2020, 15:18
- The first Russian doctoral thesis on Islamic theology earned 15 October 2020, 14:03
- FJCR considers Kiev's order to pray for pogrom-makers an insult of the Jewish people 15 October 2020, 13:42
- A source learned about the death of another child from a surrogate mother in St. Petersburg 15 October 2020, 12:35
- Church against exploiting Russian women as surrogate mothers by foreigners 13 October 2020, 20:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for putting end to bloodshed in Nagorno-Karabakh 13 October 2020, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill tests negative for coronavirus 12 October 2020, 10:14
- Baku dismisses accusations of shelling upon cathedral in Nagorno-Karabakh 09 October 2020, 18:12
- Ecological park inspired by a local bishop opened in Omsk 09 October 2020, 17:28
- Jews will celebrate the feast of Torah with restrictions due to coronavirus 09 October 2020, 17:08
- JW couple gets suspended sentences in Kostroma 09 October 2020, 17:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls pandemic the last call for humanity 09 October 2020, 16:39