28 October 2016, 18:13
Patriarch Kirill, leaders of Russian Jews discuss problems of fighting extremism
Moscow, October 28, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and the leaders of Russian Jews have agreed to join their efforts to oppose religious extremism in the Middle East.
After his meeting with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Friday, Chief Rabbi Berel Lazar drew the attention of Jewish community representatives to Russia's peacekeeping role in the Middle East and called for joint efforts to fight religious extremism that threatens Christian communities in the region, the chief rabbi's spokesperson told Interfax-Religion.
"For his part, Rabbi Lazar stressed that this problem is universal and urgent not only for the Middle Eastern Christian communities but also for the State of Israel," the spokesperson for the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia (FJCR) said.
For his part, FJCR President Alexander Boroda, who also attended the meeting with the patriarch, called modern-day Russia an example of a state where all religious communities are in warm good-neighborly relations.
"I hope that by our example and our experience we will be able to help establish a similar dialogue also in other countries where this is necessary," Boroda said.
He then told the patriarch about new projects of the Jewish Museum and Tolerance Center the FJCR opened a few years ago.
The meeting also focused on the prospect of holding in Russia an international forum of world religions, with participation by spiritual leaders of the largest religious organizations.
The event could solve two problems: that of "encouraging cooperation among religious leaders in opposing the dangerous challenges of the past few years, and helping advance Russia's global positive image as a state that protects the rights of believers and builds its policy around eternal values," Lazar said.
It was decided to consider this initiative in more detail at the next meeting of the Russian Inter-Religious Council, where, as Patriarch Kirill noted, the Russian Church and the FJCR have long been holding active dialogue and making joint decisions "on the basis of Biblical moral ideals" and working through the issues shared by all mainstream religions.
"In this sense, we do have a united working front," the patriarch was quoted by the FJCR spokesperson as saying.
The meeting attendees also considered the issue of fighting anti-Semitism and raised problems posed to believers by Western liberalism. "The parties were unanimous that it is unacceptable to remain indifferent to the substitution of spiritual values by the ideology of permissiveness and that the mainstream religions should articulate their position on this issue," the FJCR spokesperson said.
The Jewish community very much appreciates the patriarch's wise and balanced approach to inter-religious dialogue issues and for its part is doing all it can for believers to be understanding of, and warm towards one another, the chief rabbi said.
- Parishioners of the "Russian exarchate" in Paris enthusiastic about joining the Russian Orthodox Church 16 September 2019, 17:45
- Return of 'Russian exarchate' became possible due to radical changes in Russian Church, Russia in general - Patriarch Kirill 16 September 2019, 16:26
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors that head of Russian Church Abroad is missing 16 September 2019, 16:25
- Israel condemns defacing of monument to Holocaust victims in Ukraine's Nikolaev Region, demands perpetrators be punished 16 September 2019, 13:20
- The Russian Church about return of “Russian exarchate” parishes under its jurisdiction: a long way is almost accomplished 14 September 2019, 21:29
- Head of "Russian exarchate" of Constantinople joins Russian Orthodox Church 14 September 2019, 18:44
- Imam Velitov, convicted for justification of terrorism, leaves colony in Astrakhan 13 September 2019, 16:52
- Ukrainian court freezes "Kiev Patriarchate" liquidation 12 September 2019, 20:25
- Priest Alexander Volkov dismissed from the post of patriarchal press secretary 12 September 2019, 20:22
- Orthodox Businessman Malofeyev to leave A Just Russia 6 months after joining it 12 September 2019, 17:23
- Common moral, ethical values of all religions in Russia ensure state stability of country - Putin 12 September 2019, 17:21
- Guilt of men charged with attempted murder of Imam Chumakov unproven - Ingushetia jury 11 September 2019, 10:53
- State Dept. announces sanctions against 2 high-ranking Surgut investigators over Jehovah's Witnesses case (updated) 10 September 2019, 18:48
- The Russian Church official call modern Russian men a "national tragedy" 09 September 2019, 11:56
- The Russian Church will accept communities of the "Russian exarchate" ready to join it 09 September 2019, 11:20
- Russian Orthodox Church to continue reunification consultations with "Russian exarchate" 09 September 2019, 11:00
- Russian Jews to unveil monument to Roma victims of Nazism 05 September 2019, 16:00
- Jerusalem Patriarch takes the side of Russian Church in the "Ukrainian question" 05 September 2019, 15:57
- Constantinople appoints head of "Russian exarchate" a metropolitan responsible for establishing new church in Ukraine 05 September 2019, 13:06
- "Russian exarchate" in Europe refused to subordinate to Constantinople 04 September 2019, 10:54
- Some 40,000 Hasidic pilgrims expected to attend Rosh Hashanah celebration in Ukraine 03 September 2019, 11:07
- ROC metropolitan denies Constantinople accusations of non-canonical actions of the Moscow Patriarchate in Southeast Asia 29 August 2019, 15:43
- World Union of Old Believers set up in Moscow 29 August 2019, 13:05
- Holocaust victims monument vandalized in southern Ukraine 28 August 2019, 16:58
- Monument to Ukrainian nationalists unveiled at Jewish cemetery in Lvov Region 26 August 2019, 19:45
- Poroshenko warns of ongoing attacks on Ukrainian army, language, faith 26 August 2019, 17:13
- Founder of Russian icon museum - among victims of helicopter crash in Greece 22 August 2019, 12:50
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12