01 November 2016, 15:06
Moscow's stance on UNESCO resolution on monuments in Jerusalem remains unchanged - Russian Foreign Ministry
Moscow, November 1, Interfax - Moscow confirmed support for the UNESCO resolution on the status of religious and historical sites on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem of October 14, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister and special presidential representative for the Middle East and African countries Mikhail Bogdanov said.
His comment was in response to the question of why Moscow supported this document despite the fact that the text of the resolution is entirely devoted to the Muslim holy sites.
"These [UNESCO] resolutions have been repeatedly adopted without any debate, so there is nothing new this year compared to the previous year and the year before that," Bodganov said.
"Why should we change our vote this year, when we voted for the very same text last year?" he said.
"This resolution does not determine anything," the deputy minister said.
The UNESCO resolution has been negotiated since 2015, and it was approved by 24 countries out of 58, including Russia and China, on October 13. The text of the resolution expressed the views of the delegations of Egypt and the Palestinian Authority, which were the ones to introduce it for consideration. The subject of the document is the status of the historical and religious monuments which are situated on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem. However, it is entirely devoted to the Muslim holy sites, the mosques of Al-Aqsa and the Dome of the Rock (Qubbat al-Sakhrah). The document, in particular, mentions that Israel (which is named as an 'occupying power') is taking a number of measures, which either hinder the restoration of the Islamic places of worship or hasten their destruction.
Subsequently, Israel suspended cooperation with UNESCO in protest.
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28