01 November 2016, 16:14
Patriarch Kirill considers West becoming godless one of causes of terrorism
Moscow, November 1, Interfax - Islamic terrorism is related to the West abandoning its Christian roots, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia said.
"There is certainly this reference to the godless and dehumanized Western civilization as a trigger, as an argument of recruiting honest people to the ranks of terrorists, because you cannot entice an honest Muslim with anything else. But if you say that you are fighting against the devilish civilization having joined the ranks of the defenders of Islam, people may follow the path of this temptation," the patriarch said at the opening of the 20th World Russian People's Council dedicated to relations between Russia and the West and defense of traditional values on Tuesday.
He said that terrorism is provoked by a "radical secularism, which rejects other opinions, other points of view and assumes that the entire world should be built on the model determined by the elites of certain countries."
"Massive informational invasion is in many ways stirring and provoking a growth in Islamist radicalism, which justifies its actions by an aggressive secular policy and a lack of spiritual principles of hostile, in their eyes, Western society," the patriarch said.
De-Christianization of Europe and America results in a "total misunderstanding with a mutual deafness emerging during the debates on the most critical issues, when one side asks indignantly how one can publically offend the religious feeling of millions of people and the other side asks a counter-question, with equal indignation, how can one infringe anybody's right to free self-expression," he said.
The patriarch said that the challenge posed by international terrorism, regarding which Russia, the United States and Europe have quite similar positions, should be considered in relation to the issue of the erosion of traditional moral standards, as "these are interlinked challenges threatening humanity."
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28