07 November 2016, 10:29
Russia-backed UNESCO resolution on religious monuments on Jerusalem's Temple Mount not aimed against Israel - Medvedev
Moscow, November 7, Interfax - There is no need to politicize UNESCO's resolution supported by Russia on the state of the historical and religious monuments located on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem, and this document is not directed against Israel, Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said.
"It seems to me that there is no need to politicize this decision; certainly it is not aimed against Israel or the people of Israel," Medvedev said in an interview with Channel 2 Israel ahead of his visit to this country.
He said it was not the first time UNESCO had adopted such decisions, and there was nothing new in them.
Russia has never denied Israel's and the Jewish people's rights to Jerusalem, the Temple Mount or the Western Wall, Medvedev said. All these rights are absolutely obvious and it would be absurd to deny them, he said.
"It is another matter that Jerusalem is a special place on our planet. It is the birthplace of the three main monotheistic religions: Judaism, Christianity and Islam," he said.
"In this sense, it is necessary to protect all the monuments that exist in Jerusalem - no more, no less," Medvedev said.
This UNESCO resolution had been debated since 2015 and was approved by 24 out of 58 countries, including Russia and China, on October 13, 2016. The text of the document reflects primarily the opinion of the Egyptian and Palestinian delegations, who submitted the draft resolution to consideration. The document addresses the state of the historical and religious monuments located on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem. However, it is fully dedicated to the mosques of Al-Aqsa and the Dome of the Rock (Qubbat al-Sakhrah). In particular, the resolution says that Israel (which is called 'occupation authority' in the document) is taking a whole number of measures that either hamper the restoration of Islamic religious sites or speed up their decay.
Subsequently, Israel suspended its cooperation with UNESCO in protest over this document.
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28