10 November 2016, 12:35
Six suspects in Hizb ut-Tahrir St. Petersburg cell case remanded in custody
St. Petersburg, November 10, Interfax - A court in St. Petersburg has ordered that six suspects in a criminal inquiry opened into the establishment and functioning of the city's cell of the Hizb ut-Tahrir terrorist organization, outlawed in Russia, be remanded in custody.
"Six people were remanded in custody on Wednesday under the ruling issued by the Kirovsky District Court of St. Petersburg," St. Petersburg City Court spokesperson Darya Lebedeva told Interfax.
A source in law enforcement agencies told Interfax earlier that the suspects in this criminal case, opened under Part 1 of Article 205.5 of the Russian Penal Code (arrangement of the activity of a terrorist organization outlawed in Russia) included three natives of Dagestan, born 1981, 1982 and 1988, a native of Tajikistan, born 1985, and another two persons born 1985 and 1991.
The source also said that electronic data storage devices and printed materials, including a book by Hizb ut-Tahrir ideologist Taqiuddin al-Nabhani, issues of the Al-Wa'ee magazine and other items included in Russia's federal list of extremist materials, were confiscated from the suspects' apartments, the source said.
The Russian Federal Security Service's (FSB) branch for St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Region said on Wednesday that people had been detained in the city on suspicion of being involved with the local cell of the Hizb ut-Tahrir terrorist organization. It did not say how many people had been detained.
The press service of the FSB regional branch told Interfax earlier that nine people had been detained at different times as part of criminal cases opened into participation in Hizb ut-Tahrir. Seven of them have already been convicted.
The Russian Supreme Court designated Hizb ut-Tahrir as a terrorist organization and banned its activity in Russian territory on February 14, 2003.
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28