10 November 2016, 12:35
Six suspects in Hizb ut-Tahrir St. Petersburg cell case remanded in custody
St. Petersburg, November 10, Interfax - A court in St. Petersburg has ordered that six suspects in a criminal inquiry opened into the establishment and functioning of the city's cell of the Hizb ut-Tahrir terrorist organization, outlawed in Russia, be remanded in custody.
"Six people were remanded in custody on Wednesday under the ruling issued by the Kirovsky District Court of St. Petersburg," St. Petersburg City Court spokesperson Darya Lebedeva told Interfax.
A source in law enforcement agencies told Interfax earlier that the suspects in this criminal case, opened under Part 1 of Article 205.5 of the Russian Penal Code (arrangement of the activity of a terrorist organization outlawed in Russia) included three natives of Dagestan, born 1981, 1982 and 1988, a native of Tajikistan, born 1985, and another two persons born 1985 and 1991.
The source also said that electronic data storage devices and printed materials, including a book by Hizb ut-Tahrir ideologist Taqiuddin al-Nabhani, issues of the Al-Wa'ee magazine and other items included in Russia's federal list of extremist materials, were confiscated from the suspects' apartments, the source said.
The Russian Federal Security Service's (FSB) branch for St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Region said on Wednesday that people had been detained in the city on suspicion of being involved with the local cell of the Hizb ut-Tahrir terrorist organization. It did not say how many people had been detained.
The press service of the FSB regional branch told Interfax earlier that nine people had been detained at different times as part of criminal cases opened into participation in Hizb ut-Tahrir. Seven of them have already been convicted.
The Russian Supreme Court designated Hizb ut-Tahrir as a terrorist organization and banned its activity in Russian territory on February 14, 2003.
- Church unification assembly may be held in early Dec - Parubiy 19 November 2018, 13:10
- Synod of Ecumenical Patriarchate to decide on date of church unification assembly in Ukraine 19 November 2018, 12:20
- Donbass people affected by war get 15 mln euro aid from Pope 19 November 2018, 12:02
- "Kiev Patriarchate" denies rumors unification assembly set for Nov 22 19 November 2018, 11:59
- Polish Orthodox Church bans all contacts with Ukrainian schismatics 19 November 2018, 11:55
- Crimean Diocese of Ukrainian Orthodox Church has solidarity with Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 19:11
- Local church being created is political organization - Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 16:40
- Vinnitsa clergy refuse to follow their archbishop into 'local' church 16 November 2018, 15:22
- FSB searches apartments of Jehovah's Witnesses members in Crimea's Dzhankoy 16 November 2018, 11:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media 15 November 2018, 22:20
- U.S. embassy concerned by Kiev's St. Andrew Church attack 15 November 2018, 19:25
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns of schemes using its bishops' signatures at unification assembly 15 November 2018, 15:46
- Unknown individuals attack St. Andrew's Church, transferred to Ecumenical Patriarchate, in Kiev 15 November 2018, 15:34
- Dissenting bishops of canonical Ukrainian Church might ignore 'unifying assembly' - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 November 2018, 14:56
- Constantinople deceiving supporters of Ukrainian autocephaly - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 November 2018, 12:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate" may nominate Filaret for head of new church 15 November 2018, 12:02
- Date of unification assembly not known yet - "Kiev Patriarchate" 15 November 2018, 11:10
- Upcoming 'uniting' assembly in Ukraine to have negligible canonical consequences - Russian Orthodox Church 14 November 2018, 21:58
- "Unification" council to be held in Ukraine on Nov 22 - media (updated) 14 November 2018, 21:54
- Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media 14 November 2018, 15:36
- Poroshenko administration refuses to show journalists agreement with Patriarch Bartholomew 14 November 2018, 13:58
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25
- Archbishops' Council of Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready to meet with Ukrainian president, but on church soil - statement 13 November 2018, 19:05
- Poroshenko no-show at Kiev Monastery of the Caves to meet with Ukrainian Church clergy 13 November 2018, 17:13
- Metropolitan of Kiev denounces attempts to turn church into 'political tool' 13 November 2018, 17:03