11 November 2016, 17:18
Russian Church considers Western coalition's plan of actions in Syria to be deadlock
Moscow, November 11, Interfax - The only way to prevent an exodus of Christians in the Middle East is through a unified anti-terrorist coalition, Metropolitan Hilarion, head of the Department for External Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate, said.
"Conquering terrorism requires, firstly, different approaches, and, secondly, a unified anti-terrorist coalition. Our Holy Patriarch keeps talking about that. Not several coalitions that will fight each other, but a unified coalition, which will conquer terrorism as a united front," he said on the program The Church and the World on Rossiya-24 television (VGTRK).
In this regard, he mentioned his recent meeting with British Minister of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs Joyce Anelay, where he asked her how she sees settlement in Syria, to which the diplomat responded that it is necessary to get Bashar al-Assad to leave and create a democratic government.
The Foreign Office official also asked Metropolitan Hilarion how he sees the solution to the Syrian crisis.
"You know, the government that you have now described, of course, sounds inspiring, but it's only an imaginary government. There is no such thing in Syria now. And we are getting totally different signals when the religious leaders of this country come to us [...] - they all say they don't see any different force capable of preventing [the country] from falling into an abyss. Secondly, they don't see anyone except for al-Assad who could keep all these things [from collapsing]," Metropolitan Hilarion said.
In closing, the metropolitan suggested that the Foreign Office official look at what happened in Iraq and Libya, where the scenario that the Western countries are now offering for Syria was implemented.
"The leaders of those countries were declared dictators, and they were overthrown using an external power. And what? Did the government that, as you say, 'maintains the balance' come to power then? Nothing like that. Chaos came to those countries," Metropolitan Hilarion said.
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28