11 November 2016, 17:26
Lukashenko, Erdogan open Cathedral Mosque in Minsk
Minsk, November 11, Interfax - Belarus is renowned for its traditions of religious tolerance and mutual respect between people of different nationalities, Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko said, opening the Cathedral Mosque together with his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Minsk on Friday.
"From the earliest times Belarus has been famous for its traditions of religious tolerance and mutual respect between people of different faiths and nationalities. That is our pride, our strength, which is a guarantee of our resilience," Lukashenko said.
He said that Belarus is a country of a peaceful nature. "We value peace and tranquility; that is why we build churches for all faiths. We adhere to one motto: any citizen of our country is entitled to find their own way to their own church and no one has a right to force them to behave differently. Thus we are opening today this great cathedral, which will not only become a house for Muslims, but also will make a significant contribution to the development of the culture of our Belarus," Lukashenko said.
"I am confident that the Cathedral Mosque constructed with the personal support of Turkish President Erdogan, my good friend and colleague, will become an important spiritual center, source of enlightenment and dissemination of humanist ideas and the true values of Islam for Muslims in Belarus and the entire Belarusian nation," the Belarusian president said.
The presidents of the two countries learned about the mosque's facilities and left signatures in the Book of Honorary Guests of the Cathedral Mosque in Minsk.
A previously existing mosque in Minsk was closed down in 1949 and the building was blown up in 1962. Construction of the new religious building began in 2004; however, it was frozen due to the funding in 2010. The work concluded with co-funding from Turkey's Religious Affairs Directorate this year.
The opening of the mosque with the participation of Turkish President Erdogan was scheduled for late July 2016. The date of the ceremony and Erdogan's visit were postponed due to a coup attempt in Turkey.
The mosque's prayer room can accommodate over 1,500 people at a time.
According to different estimates, over 30,000 people in Belarus are of the Muslim faith.
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28