11 November 2016, 17:26
Lukashenko, Erdogan open Cathedral Mosque in Minsk
Minsk, November 11, Interfax - Belarus is renowned for its traditions of religious tolerance and mutual respect between people of different nationalities, Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko said, opening the Cathedral Mosque together with his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Minsk on Friday.
"From the earliest times Belarus has been famous for its traditions of religious tolerance and mutual respect between people of different faiths and nationalities. That is our pride, our strength, which is a guarantee of our resilience," Lukashenko said.
He said that Belarus is a country of a peaceful nature. "We value peace and tranquility; that is why we build churches for all faiths. We adhere to one motto: any citizen of our country is entitled to find their own way to their own church and no one has a right to force them to behave differently. Thus we are opening today this great cathedral, which will not only become a house for Muslims, but also will make a significant contribution to the development of the culture of our Belarus," Lukashenko said.
"I am confident that the Cathedral Mosque constructed with the personal support of Turkish President Erdogan, my good friend and colleague, will become an important spiritual center, source of enlightenment and dissemination of humanist ideas and the true values of Islam for Muslims in Belarus and the entire Belarusian nation," the Belarusian president said.
The presidents of the two countries learned about the mosque's facilities and left signatures in the Book of Honorary Guests of the Cathedral Mosque in Minsk.
A previously existing mosque in Minsk was closed down in 1949 and the building was blown up in 1962. Construction of the new religious building began in 2004; however, it was frozen due to the funding in 2010. The work concluded with co-funding from Turkey's Religious Affairs Directorate this year.
The opening of the mosque with the participation of Turkish President Erdogan was scheduled for late July 2016. The date of the ceremony and Erdogan's visit were postponed due to a coup attempt in Turkey.
The mosque's prayer room can accommodate over 1,500 people at a time.
According to different estimates, over 30,000 people in Belarus are of the Muslim faith.
- Epiphany bathing held at the pole of cold in Yakutia at 63 degrees below zero 19 January 2018, 16:34
- Putin's Epiphany dip shown in media because it took place in public with many believers present - Peskov 19 January 2018, 16:13
- Putin takes part in Orthodox Epiphany bathing in Tver Region monastery 19 January 2018, 11:38
- Russian Orthodox priests to consecrate all oceans on Epiphany eve 18 January 2018, 15:58
- Continued attacks on churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2018, 16:42
- Priest Grozovsky to appeal 14-year pedophilia sentence 17 January 2018, 10:32
- Priest Grozovsky gets 14 years in high-security prison for pedophilia 17 January 2018, 10:12
- Directorate of Muslims of Uzbekistan disagrees with U.S. State Dept analysis of religious freedom in republic 15 January 2018, 16:24
- Putin's comparison of Lenin Mausoleum to veneration of holy relics not sensational - Peskov 15 January 2018, 14:08
- Putin defines New Valaam Monastery relics saved by Finland as unifying force 15 January 2018, 10:44
- Putin's words about similarity of Communism, Christianity smooth things over Lenin Mausoleum - CPRF 15 January 2018, 10:43
- Communist ideology similar to Christianity - Putin 15 January 2018, 10:00
- Russians have become more intolerant to treachery, abortions and homosexual connections for twenty years - poll 11 January 2018, 17:56
- Brother of leader of Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan calls on extremists to 'open their eyes' 11 January 2018, 17:39
- Orthodox children in Syrian Latakia received Christmas gifts from Moscow parish 09 January 2018, 18:41
- St. Petersburg among Russia's top three most popular places to spend Orthodox Christmas 09 January 2018, 14:36
- Patriarch Kirill concerned by social disintegration 07 January 2018, 16:57
- Church not going to hinder expert work on "Yekaterinburg remains" - Patriarch Kirill 07 January 2018, 16:56
- Putin offers Christmas greetings to Orthodox Christians 07 January 2018, 11:18
- Russia can have twice as many churches in 30 years - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:26
- Not less than 120 churches in Syria need to be restored - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:02
- Priestly ordination gives Feodor Konyukhov special power, his wife believes 25 December 2017, 16:31
- No one needs conflict in Donbass, it weakens all those involved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 13:06
- All conditions of prisoner exchange in Donbass approved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 11:43
- All ethnic and religious groups, parties and armed groups invited to Syrian National Dialogue Congress - Shoigu 22 December 2017, 17:40
- Scharansky is impressed by positive changes in life of Russian Jews 22 December 2017, 10:51
- Vucic invites Putin to Belgrade for 800th anniversary of autocephaly of Serbian Orthodox Church 20 December 2017, 10:43
- Governors should be evaluated for their affairs, not longevity of their rule, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 18 December 2017, 20:39
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls provocation Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel capital 18 December 2017, 16:01
- Not only Jews should participate in visits to Auschwitz, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia believes 18 December 2017, 14:52