18 November 2016, 13:44
Saudi representative stays in charge of Organization of Islamic Cooperation
Tashkent, November 18, Interfax - Former Saudi Social Affairs Minister Yousef bin Ahmad Al-Othaimeen was appointed Secretary General of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) at a special session of the OIC Council of Foreign Minister in Mecca on Thursday, the Uzbek Foreign Ministry said in a report.
"During the meeting chaired by Uzbekistan, the foreign ministers of OIC member countries exchanged opinions on the Saudi nomination of Yousef bin Ahmad Al-Othaimeen, formerly Director General of the OIC Cabinet and Chief Adviser to the OIC Secretary General, for OIC Secretary General," it said.
The ministers approved the Saudi candidate for OIC Secretary General and thanked his predecessor, Iyad bin Amin Madani, for his long and fruitful service, the report said.
The Council of Foreign Ministers approved a resolution initiated by Saudi Arabia in relation to the launch of a ballistic missile towards Mecca from Yemen, it said.
OIC Secretary General, former Saudi Culture and Information Minister Madani tendered his resignation in late October, presumably for health reasons. Yet a number of media outlets said the actual reason for his resignation was a joke about Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi.
Uzbekistan currently presides at the OIC Council of Foreign Ministers. It has been a member of the organization since 1996.
The OIC was founded in September 1969; it has 57 member states at the moment. The OIC is the largest and most influential formal Muslim international intergovernmental organization.
- Epiphany bathing held at the pole of cold in Yakutia at 63 degrees below zero 19 January 2018, 16:34
- Putin's Epiphany dip shown in media because it took place in public with many believers present - Peskov 19 January 2018, 16:13
- Putin takes part in Orthodox Epiphany bathing in Tver Region monastery 19 January 2018, 11:38
- Russian Orthodox priests to consecrate all oceans on Epiphany eve 18 January 2018, 15:58
- Continued attacks on churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2018, 16:42
- Priest Grozovsky to appeal 14-year pedophilia sentence 17 January 2018, 10:32
- Priest Grozovsky gets 14 years in high-security prison for pedophilia 17 January 2018, 10:12
- Directorate of Muslims of Uzbekistan disagrees with U.S. State Dept analysis of religious freedom in republic 15 January 2018, 16:24
- Putin's comparison of Lenin Mausoleum to veneration of holy relics not sensational - Peskov 15 January 2018, 14:08
- Putin defines New Valaam Monastery relics saved by Finland as unifying force 15 January 2018, 10:44
- Putin's words about similarity of Communism, Christianity smooth things over Lenin Mausoleum - CPRF 15 January 2018, 10:43
- Communist ideology similar to Christianity - Putin 15 January 2018, 10:00
- Russians have become more intolerant to treachery, abortions and homosexual connections for twenty years - poll 11 January 2018, 17:56
- Brother of leader of Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan calls on extremists to 'open their eyes' 11 January 2018, 17:39
- Orthodox children in Syrian Latakia received Christmas gifts from Moscow parish 09 January 2018, 18:41
- St. Petersburg among Russia's top three most popular places to spend Orthodox Christmas 09 January 2018, 14:36
- Patriarch Kirill concerned by social disintegration 07 January 2018, 16:57
- Church not going to hinder expert work on "Yekaterinburg remains" - Patriarch Kirill 07 January 2018, 16:56
- Putin offers Christmas greetings to Orthodox Christians 07 January 2018, 11:18
- Russia can have twice as many churches in 30 years - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:26
- Not less than 120 churches in Syria need to be restored - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:02
- Priestly ordination gives Feodor Konyukhov special power, his wife believes 25 December 2017, 16:31
- No one needs conflict in Donbass, it weakens all those involved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 13:06
- All conditions of prisoner exchange in Donbass approved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 11:43
- All ethnic and religious groups, parties and armed groups invited to Syrian National Dialogue Congress - Shoigu 22 December 2017, 17:40
- Scharansky is impressed by positive changes in life of Russian Jews 22 December 2017, 10:51
- Vucic invites Putin to Belgrade for 800th anniversary of autocephaly of Serbian Orthodox Church 20 December 2017, 10:43
- Governors should be evaluated for their affairs, not longevity of their rule, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 18 December 2017, 20:39
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls provocation Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel capital 18 December 2017, 16:01
- Not only Jews should participate in visits to Auschwitz, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia believes 18 December 2017, 14:52