18 November 2016, 13:44
Saudi representative stays in charge of Organization of Islamic Cooperation
Tashkent, November 18, Interfax - Former Saudi Social Affairs Minister Yousef bin Ahmad Al-Othaimeen was appointed Secretary General of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) at a special session of the OIC Council of Foreign Minister in Mecca on Thursday, the Uzbek Foreign Ministry said in a report.
"During the meeting chaired by Uzbekistan, the foreign ministers of OIC member countries exchanged opinions on the Saudi nomination of Yousef bin Ahmad Al-Othaimeen, formerly Director General of the OIC Cabinet and Chief Adviser to the OIC Secretary General, for OIC Secretary General," it said.
The ministers approved the Saudi candidate for OIC Secretary General and thanked his predecessor, Iyad bin Amin Madani, for his long and fruitful service, the report said.
The Council of Foreign Ministers approved a resolution initiated by Saudi Arabia in relation to the launch of a ballistic missile towards Mecca from Yemen, it said.
OIC Secretary General, former Saudi Culture and Information Minister Madani tendered his resignation in late October, presumably for health reasons. Yet a number of media outlets said the actual reason for his resignation was a joke about Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi.
Uzbekistan currently presides at the OIC Council of Foreign Ministers. It has been a member of the organization since 1996.
The OIC was founded in September 1969; it has 57 member states at the moment. The OIC is the largest and most influential formal Muslim international intergovernmental organization.
- Check of leader of Jewish movement Shahar for extremism might have to do with social media post - lawyer 13 August 2018, 17:28
- Teen suspected of setting fire to church in Karelia to be evaluated for sanity 13 August 2018, 14:29
- Teenage Satanist suspected of setting fire to wooden church in Karelia 13 August 2018, 12:58
- Police checking leader of Jewish movement in Russia for extremism - lawyer 10 August 2018, 20:53
- Russian Foreign Ministry asks Greek embassy for explanations on problems with issuing visas to priests 10 August 2018, 10:43
- St. Petersburg resident sentenced to 5 years in prison for preparing Kazan Cathedral terror attack 10 August 2018, 10:40
- Activists set up organization to protect rights of Orthodox believers in Eastern Europe 07 August 2018, 13:58
- Greece not issuing long-term visas to Russian priests - Russian patriarch's ex-spokesman 07 August 2018, 13:12
- Meeting of Moscow, Constantinople patriarchs will prove futility of efforts to split church - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 August 2018, 18:01
- Russia to memorialize 20 Holocaust execution sites 06 August 2018, 17:56
- Agenda of meeting between patriarchs Kirill, Bartholomew in works - Russian Orthodox Church 06 August 2018, 14:49
- Priest visits Oleg Sentsov in prison 06 August 2018, 14:05
- Patriarchs Kirill, Bartholomew to meet in Istanbul on Aug 31 06 August 2018, 13:45
- Moldova preparing for Patriarch Kirill's visit 02 August 2018, 12:32
- Poroshenko dismissed an official who promised him autocephaly to the Day of Russia's Baptism - media 02 August 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill appoints Grigory Antyufeyev acting general director of Sofrino (updated) 30 July 2018, 14:46
- No searches being conducted at Sofrino - source 30 July 2018, 12:38
- Patriarch Kirill removes long-term church administrator Parkhayev from all posts 30 July 2018, 12:35
- Ukrainian Interior Ministry estimates number of participants in so-called Kiev Patriarchate's procession as 65,000 people 28 July 2018, 17:47
- Poroshenko sees Russian Orthodox Church as threat to Ukraine 28 July 2018, 16:15
- Putin sees Christianization of Kievan Rus as start of Russia's statehood 28 July 2018, 14:29
- Putin joins religious procession marking 1030th anniversary of Christianization of Kievan Rus in Moscow 28 July 2018, 14:24
- Poroshenko joins schismatics' procession marking 1030th anniversary of Christianization of Rus in Kiev 28 July 2018, 12:56
- Russian Orthodox Church to resist attempts to separate Ukrainian Orthodox Church from it - Patriarch Kirill 28 July 2018, 09:07
- About 250,000 attend cross procession in Kiev - organizers 27 July 2018, 17:38
- Kiev cross procession begins 27 July 2018, 14:22
- Over 100,000 pilgrims to attend Kiev cross procession - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 27 July 2018, 14:00
- Heads, members of 10 local Orthodox Churches to celebrate 1030th anniversary of Baptism of Rus in Moscow 27 July 2018, 12:37
- Patriarch Kirill praises Ukrainian Orthodox Christians for staying loyal to Russian church before 1,030th anniversary of Christianization of Rus 27 July 2018, 11:06
- Patriarch Kirill hopes celebrations of 1,030th anniversary of Christianization of Rus can help overcome division in Ukraine 26 July 2018, 18:41