18 November 2016, 13:44
Saudi representative stays in charge of Organization of Islamic Cooperation
Tashkent, November 18, Interfax - Former Saudi Social Affairs Minister Yousef bin Ahmad Al-Othaimeen was appointed Secretary General of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) at a special session of the OIC Council of Foreign Minister in Mecca on Thursday, the Uzbek Foreign Ministry said in a report.
"During the meeting chaired by Uzbekistan, the foreign ministers of OIC member countries exchanged opinions on the Saudi nomination of Yousef bin Ahmad Al-Othaimeen, formerly Director General of the OIC Cabinet and Chief Adviser to the OIC Secretary General, for OIC Secretary General," it said.
The ministers approved the Saudi candidate for OIC Secretary General and thanked his predecessor, Iyad bin Amin Madani, for his long and fruitful service, the report said.
The Council of Foreign Ministers approved a resolution initiated by Saudi Arabia in relation to the launch of a ballistic missile towards Mecca from Yemen, it said.
OIC Secretary General, former Saudi Culture and Information Minister Madani tendered his resignation in late October, presumably for health reasons. Yet a number of media outlets said the actual reason for his resignation was a joke about Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi.
Uzbekistan currently presides at the OIC Council of Foreign Ministers. It has been a member of the organization since 1996.
The OIC was founded in September 1969; it has 57 member states at the moment. The OIC is the largest and most influential formal Muslim international intergovernmental organization.
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28