18 November 2016, 15:19
There are some 500 destructive sects in Russia
Moscow, November 18, Interfax - Yelena Mizulina, deputy head of the Federation Council's committee on constitutional legislation and state development, suggests developing a package of bills aimed at fighting destructive sects.
"I suggest discussing the possibility of creating a working group on improving legislation in this sphere and to prepare a package of bills that could ensure a systemic approach to the solution of this problem," Mizulina said at a roundtable meeting titled 'Increasing the Level of Legislative Protection of Russian Citizens from Fraudulent Actions by Destructive Sects'.
She said she believes there is a need to adopt legislation describing destructive sects because there is currently no legislative description of such a phenomenon. "We need to introduce the status of organizations that harm people, although it is difficult," the senator said.
Mizulina said there are currently some 500 destructive sects in Russia. "I am very concerned about the fact that there are very many sects in the Russian regions which are operating illegally," she said.
"Today's sects are camouflaged as various organizations conducting psychological trainings, leadership quality development seminars, there are people who teach how to survive if the end of the world comes or, for example, how to move to other planets, preferably with one's property. Many different people fall for fraudsters' tricks. Using various psychological techniques, sect members deprive people of their will and later of their property," she said.
Mizulina said that "by declaring a war on destructive, totalitarian sects one cannot allow an attack on traditional religious organizations. They will become our strong allies in the fight against frauds," the senator said.
Mizulina said, citing information possessed by the Justice Ministry, that 52 sects working in 24 regions were banned and closed via court rulings in Russia in 2015-2016.
"Such massive dissemination of sects clearly shows that something is wrong in the current legislation," Mizulina said.
She called for "a systematic approach to the solution of this problem."
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51
- Defense lawyers for Orenburg priest charged with child sexual abuse appeal his arrest 27 September 2019, 16:03
- About ten priests came to the court to vouch for a person involved in Moscow case 27 September 2019, 11:41
- Gay couple from Russia, who are witnesses in case involving children they adopted, seeking asylum in U.S 26 September 2019, 19:58