20 November 2016, 00:19
Patriarch Kirill celebrates his 70th birthday
Moscow, November 20, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia celebrates his 70th birthday on Sunday.
Heads and representatives of Orthodox churches arrived in Moscow to congratulate the primate. On Sunday they will celebrate the Divine Liturgy together with Patriarch Kirill in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior.
A photo exhibition dedicated to his ministry and church history in the 20th century has recently opened in Moscow on the occasion of the primate's jubilee.
Orthodox youth of the capital prepared a present to the patriarch - it is a big cake cooked under supervision of the best culinary experts, which will be conveyed to the patriarch after the service.
On the eve of the jubilee Patriarch Kirill asked rectors of Moscow churches not to give him flowers, but instead to donate money to St. Alexy Hospital located in the Russian capital.
Patriarch Kirill (secular name Vladimir M. Gundyayev) was born on November 20, 1946, in Leningrad. He is a priest in the third generation. The patriarch's grandfather in Soviet years actively struggled against closing churches and the renovation schism, he was subjected to repressions, went through 47 prisons and seven exiles and was among the first prisoners of the Solovetsky prison camp. He had seven children, but donated almost all his money to monasteries of Mount Athos. The patriarch's father also had ardent faith, was subjected to persecutions for faith and exiled to Kolyma.
Future Patriarch Kirill was very religious from the very childhood, and told that when he was three-four years old, he liked to "conduct serves" at home, to put on "sacerdotal robes" especially sewed for him. When he was six or seven, he was able to "conduct" a prayer service or a requiem without a single mistake. He was the only child at school who didn't join the pioneer organization.
He is a disciple of Metropolitan Nikodim (Rotov), who laid a foundation of the contemporary dialogue among Christians of various confessions and worked to save the Russian Church from elimination in times of Khrushchev and Brezhnev.
After graduation from secondary school, future Patriarch Kirill entered the Leningrad Seminary and later the Leningrad Theological Academy, from which he graduated cum laude in 1970. He was a representative of the Moscow Patriarchate at the World Council of Churches. He chaired the Department for External Church Relations from 1989 and managed the Smolensk and Kaliningrad Diocese over 20 years.
Patriarch Kirill's enthronement was held on February 1, 2009.
Time of his patriarchal ministry has already been marked with a number of important achievements: foundations of religious education were introduced in the school program, institute of chaplains was set up in military forces, diplomas of church higher education establishments are recognized by the state. Besides, the historic meeting between the primate of the Russian Church and the Pope of Rome took place under Patriarch Kirill.
- Religious radicalism in CIS countries threatens Central Asian security - Patrushev (updated) 22 November 2017, 15:52
- Russian Orthodox Church Bishops' Council to discuss authenticity of imperial family remains (updated) 22 November 2017, 14:23
- Russia - Islamic World group to meet in Saudi Arabia in 2018 22 November 2017, 13:39
- West's atheization worse than what happened in USSR - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2017, 10:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11