20 November 2016, 00:19
Patriarch Kirill celebrates his 70th birthday
Moscow, November 20, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia celebrates his 70th birthday on Sunday.
Heads and representatives of Orthodox churches arrived in Moscow to congratulate the primate. On Sunday they will celebrate the Divine Liturgy together with Patriarch Kirill in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior.
A photo exhibition dedicated to his ministry and church history in the 20th century has recently opened in Moscow on the occasion of the primate's jubilee.
Orthodox youth of the capital prepared a present to the patriarch - it is a big cake cooked under supervision of the best culinary experts, which will be conveyed to the patriarch after the service.
On the eve of the jubilee Patriarch Kirill asked rectors of Moscow churches not to give him flowers, but instead to donate money to St. Alexy Hospital located in the Russian capital.
Patriarch Kirill (secular name Vladimir M. Gundyayev) was born on November 20, 1946, in Leningrad. He is a priest in the third generation. The patriarch's grandfather in Soviet years actively struggled against closing churches and the renovation schism, he was subjected to repressions, went through 47 prisons and seven exiles and was among the first prisoners of the Solovetsky prison camp. He had seven children, but donated almost all his money to monasteries of Mount Athos. The patriarch's father also had ardent faith, was subjected to persecutions for faith and exiled to Kolyma.
Future Patriarch Kirill was very religious from the very childhood, and told that when he was three-four years old, he liked to "conduct serves" at home, to put on "sacerdotal robes" especially sewed for him. When he was six or seven, he was able to "conduct" a prayer service or a requiem without a single mistake. He was the only child at school who didn't join the pioneer organization.
He is a disciple of Metropolitan Nikodim (Rotov), who laid a foundation of the contemporary dialogue among Christians of various confessions and worked to save the Russian Church from elimination in times of Khrushchev and Brezhnev.
After graduation from secondary school, future Patriarch Kirill entered the Leningrad Seminary and later the Leningrad Theological Academy, from which he graduated cum laude in 1970. He was a representative of the Moscow Patriarchate at the World Council of Churches. He chaired the Department for External Church Relations from 1989 and managed the Smolensk and Kaliningrad Diocese over 20 years.
Patriarch Kirill's enthronement was held on February 1, 2009.
Time of his patriarchal ministry has already been marked with a number of important achievements: foundations of religious education were introduced in the school program, institute of chaplains was set up in military forces, diplomas of church higher education establishments are recognized by the state. Besides, the historic meeting between the primate of the Russian Church and the Pope of Rome took place under Patriarch Kirill.
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church says its bishop's call for participation in 'unifying assembly' fake news 15 December 2018, 20:27
- Election of leader of "single local church" in Ukraine means nothing - Russian Orthodox Church 15 December 2018, 20:11
- Poroshenko to travel with Metropolitan Epiphany to collect Constantinople's tomos in person 15 December 2018, 20:06
- Metropolitan Epiphany of "Kiev Patriarchate" elected as leader of "local Orthodox church" in Ukraine 15 December 2018, 18:39
- Russian Church satisfied that ECHR found Pussy Riot's 'punk prayer' unlawful 14 December 2018, 21:13
- Ukraine is Russian Church's canonical territory - Constantinople metropolitan 14 December 2018, 20:12
- Mogilev-Podolsky bishop delivered to Kiev by security service - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 December 2018, 20:08
- Russian Jewish leader outraged at declaration of year of Bandera in Ukraine's Lvov Region 14 December 2018, 17:26
- Ukrainian Church of Moscow Patriarchate praying for govt's non-interference in church affairs in front of Rada 14 December 2018, 14:20
- "Kiev Patriarchate" to nominate 2 candidates for head of Ukraine's unified church - source 14 December 2018, 13:03
- Patriarch Kirill urges political, religious leaders worldwide to defend Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 14 December 2018, 11:21
- Over half of Ukrainian Orthodox archbishops return unification assembly invites to Bartholomew 13 December 2018, 18:56
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church protests over service performed by Constantinople rep in Kiev 13 December 2018, 18:55
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's main proponent of independence from Moscow rejects version of autocephaly proposed by Constantinople 13 December 2018, 18:02
- Ukraine's Culture Ministry inspecting museum collections of Kiev-Pechersk, Pochayev monasteries 13 December 2018, 17:59
- SBU says found evidence of 'inciting interethnic strife' in searches, interrogations of Ukrainian Orthodox clergy 13 December 2018, 14:45
- Russian Orthodox Church urges U.S. to change approach toward assessing religious freedom 12 December 2018, 14:14
- "Kiev Patriarchate" head threatens to disrupt unification assembly 10 December 2018, 18:28
- SBU officials didn't let Donetsk metropolitan cross contact line 10 December 2018, 16:12
- Poroshenko asks Metropolitan Onufry to help have Ukrainian naval sailors freed 10 December 2018, 11:06
- "Unification gathering" in Ukraine has no legitimacy - Russian Orthodox Church 10 December 2018, 11:02
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36
- Metropolitan Onufry returns to Istanbul invitation to unification assembly 07 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian police find no extremism in Jewish movement Shahar leader's actions 07 December 2018, 12:59
- IOPS to open division in Istanbul despite patriarch Bartholomew's opinion 07 December 2018, 12:13
- Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly 07 December 2018, 12:09
- Ukraine's new Orthodox church will be independent - Poroshenko's entourage 07 December 2018, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill accuses Poroshenko of interfering in religious affairs 07 December 2018, 10:42
- Russian FM, Vatican sec call for boosting bilateral ties 07 December 2018, 10:40