23 November 2016, 10:30
Putin, Medvedev visit Christ the Savior Cathedral to offer birthday congratulations to patriarch
Moscow, November 23, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin and Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev have congratulated Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia on his 70th birthday anniversary.
To congratulate the leader of the Russian Orthodox Church, the Russian head of state arrived at the Christ the Savior Cathedral on Tuesday afternoon.
"Happy birthday, wishes of good health and successes in serving your whole congregation and all the Russian people," Putin said.
In reply, the patriarch thanked the president for the congratulations and for having visited the Cathedral.
"It is a great pleasure for me," Putin said, presenting the patriarch with a decorative panel of the Holy Trinity - St. Sergius Monastery.
The panel is made of 3,570 amber pieces, using the "carpet mosaic" technique, is the work of Kaliningrad-based artist Igor Isayev. The work was made to order in one copy only and uses Baltic amber-succinite, over 40 million years old. Around six kilograms of landscape amber and three kilograms of layered amber were used in the making of the panel.
Also arriving at the church on Tuesday was the Russian head of government with his wife. Dmitry and Svetlana Medvedev congratulated the patriarch, after which the premier's wife handed him a white festive bouquet. The patriarch was also presented with the artist Nikolay Barchenkov's A little corner of Zagorsk landscape painting.
Sometime later the patriarch received congratulations from another guest, Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko who is in Moscow on a working visit and due to hold talks with his Russian counterpart at a later point.
"I want to congratulate you not only on my behalf but on behalf of all the Belarusian people," Lukashenko said. He offered wishes of "health and strength" and presented the patriarch with a bouquet of white Minsk roses and the young Belarusian artist Anton Vyrvo's painting of the St. Nicholas garrison cathedral in Brest. The church was built in late 19th century as a smaller copy of Constantinople's Hagia Sophia.
Patriarch Kirill visited the Brest fortress in 2015 and performed a mass to honor the Brest Fortress and all the fallen in the Great Patriotic War. For the patriarch, there was also a personal side to it: his uncle died during the defense of the Fortress from a Nazi attack.
- Religious radicalism in CIS countries threatens Central Asian security - Patrushev (updated) 22 November 2017, 15:52
- Russian Orthodox Church Bishops' Council to discuss authenticity of imperial family remains (updated) 22 November 2017, 14:23
- Russia - Islamic World group to meet in Saudi Arabia in 2018 22 November 2017, 13:39
- West's atheization worse than what happened in USSR - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2017, 10:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11