23 November 2016, 10:30
Putin, Medvedev visit Christ the Savior Cathedral to offer birthday congratulations to patriarch
Moscow, November 23, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin and Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev have congratulated Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia on his 70th birthday anniversary.
To congratulate the leader of the Russian Orthodox Church, the Russian head of state arrived at the Christ the Savior Cathedral on Tuesday afternoon.
"Happy birthday, wishes of good health and successes in serving your whole congregation and all the Russian people," Putin said.
In reply, the patriarch thanked the president for the congratulations and for having visited the Cathedral.
"It is a great pleasure for me," Putin said, presenting the patriarch with a decorative panel of the Holy Trinity - St. Sergius Monastery.
The panel is made of 3,570 amber pieces, using the "carpet mosaic" technique, is the work of Kaliningrad-based artist Igor Isayev. The work was made to order in one copy only and uses Baltic amber-succinite, over 40 million years old. Around six kilograms of landscape amber and three kilograms of layered amber were used in the making of the panel.
Also arriving at the church on Tuesday was the Russian head of government with his wife. Dmitry and Svetlana Medvedev congratulated the patriarch, after which the premier's wife handed him a white festive bouquet. The patriarch was also presented with the artist Nikolay Barchenkov's A little corner of Zagorsk landscape painting.
Sometime later the patriarch received congratulations from another guest, Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko who is in Moscow on a working visit and due to hold talks with his Russian counterpart at a later point.
"I want to congratulate you not only on my behalf but on behalf of all the Belarusian people," Lukashenko said. He offered wishes of "health and strength" and presented the patriarch with a bouquet of white Minsk roses and the young Belarusian artist Anton Vyrvo's painting of the St. Nicholas garrison cathedral in Brest. The church was built in late 19th century as a smaller copy of Constantinople's Hagia Sophia.
Patriarch Kirill visited the Brest fortress in 2015 and performed a mass to honor the Brest Fortress and all the fallen in the Great Patriotic War. For the patriarch, there was also a personal side to it: his uncle died during the defense of the Fortress from a Nazi attack.
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08