23 November 2016, 10:30
Putin, Medvedev visit Christ the Savior Cathedral to offer birthday congratulations to patriarch
Moscow, November 23, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin and Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev have congratulated Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia on his 70th birthday anniversary.
To congratulate the leader of the Russian Orthodox Church, the Russian head of state arrived at the Christ the Savior Cathedral on Tuesday afternoon.
"Happy birthday, wishes of good health and successes in serving your whole congregation and all the Russian people," Putin said.
In reply, the patriarch thanked the president for the congratulations and for having visited the Cathedral.
"It is a great pleasure for me," Putin said, presenting the patriarch with a decorative panel of the Holy Trinity - St. Sergius Monastery.
The panel is made of 3,570 amber pieces, using the "carpet mosaic" technique, is the work of Kaliningrad-based artist Igor Isayev. The work was made to order in one copy only and uses Baltic amber-succinite, over 40 million years old. Around six kilograms of landscape amber and three kilograms of layered amber were used in the making of the panel.
Also arriving at the church on Tuesday was the Russian head of government with his wife. Dmitry and Svetlana Medvedev congratulated the patriarch, after which the premier's wife handed him a white festive bouquet. The patriarch was also presented with the artist Nikolay Barchenkov's A little corner of Zagorsk landscape painting.
Sometime later the patriarch received congratulations from another guest, Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko who is in Moscow on a working visit and due to hold talks with his Russian counterpart at a later point.
"I want to congratulate you not only on my behalf but on behalf of all the Belarusian people," Lukashenko said. He offered wishes of "health and strength" and presented the patriarch with a bouquet of white Minsk roses and the young Belarusian artist Anton Vyrvo's painting of the St. Nicholas garrison cathedral in Brest. The church was built in late 19th century as a smaller copy of Constantinople's Hagia Sophia.
Patriarch Kirill visited the Brest fortress in 2015 and performed a mass to honor the Brest Fortress and all the fallen in the Great Patriotic War. For the patriarch, there was also a personal side to it: his uncle died during the defense of the Fortress from a Nazi attack.
- A prayer about dogs and cats to held in the church near Moscow on the World Day of Protection of Homeless Animals 17 August 2018, 12:33
- Check of leader of Jewish movement Shahar for extremism might have to do with social media post - lawyer 13 August 2018, 17:28
- Teen suspected of setting fire to church in Karelia to be evaluated for sanity 13 August 2018, 14:29
- Teenage Satanist suspected of setting fire to wooden church in Karelia 13 August 2018, 12:58
- Police checking leader of Jewish movement in Russia for extremism - lawyer 10 August 2018, 20:53
- Russian Foreign Ministry asks Greek embassy for explanations on problems with issuing visas to priests 10 August 2018, 10:43
- St. Petersburg resident sentenced to 5 years in prison for preparing Kazan Cathedral terror attack 10 August 2018, 10:40
- Activists set up organization to protect rights of Orthodox believers in Eastern Europe 07 August 2018, 13:58
- Greece not issuing long-term visas to Russian priests - Russian patriarch's ex-spokesman 07 August 2018, 13:12
- Meeting of Moscow, Constantinople patriarchs will prove futility of efforts to split church - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 August 2018, 18:01
- Russia to memorialize 20 Holocaust execution sites 06 August 2018, 17:56
- Agenda of meeting between patriarchs Kirill, Bartholomew in works - Russian Orthodox Church 06 August 2018, 14:49
- Priest visits Oleg Sentsov in prison 06 August 2018, 14:05
- Patriarchs Kirill, Bartholomew to meet in Istanbul on Aug 31 06 August 2018, 13:45
- Moldova preparing for Patriarch Kirill's visit 02 August 2018, 12:32
- Poroshenko dismissed an official who promised him autocephaly to the Day of Russia's Baptism - media 02 August 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill appoints Grigory Antyufeyev acting general director of Sofrino (updated) 30 July 2018, 14:46
- No searches being conducted at Sofrino - source 30 July 2018, 12:38
- Patriarch Kirill removes long-term church administrator Parkhayev from all posts 30 July 2018, 12:35
- Ukrainian Interior Ministry estimates number of participants in so-called Kiev Patriarchate's procession as 65,000 people 28 July 2018, 17:47
- Poroshenko sees Russian Orthodox Church as threat to Ukraine 28 July 2018, 16:15
- Putin sees Christianization of Kievan Rus as start of Russia's statehood 28 July 2018, 14:29
- Putin joins religious procession marking 1030th anniversary of Christianization of Kievan Rus in Moscow 28 July 2018, 14:24
- Poroshenko joins schismatics' procession marking 1030th anniversary of Christianization of Rus in Kiev 28 July 2018, 12:56
- Russian Orthodox Church to resist attempts to separate Ukrainian Orthodox Church from it - Patriarch Kirill 28 July 2018, 09:07
- About 250,000 attend cross procession in Kiev - organizers 27 July 2018, 17:38
- Kiev cross procession begins 27 July 2018, 14:22
- Over 100,000 pilgrims to attend Kiev cross procession - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 27 July 2018, 14:00
- Heads, members of 10 local Orthodox Churches to celebrate 1030th anniversary of Baptism of Rus in Moscow 27 July 2018, 12:37
- Patriarch Kirill praises Ukrainian Orthodox Christians for staying loyal to Russian church before 1,030th anniversary of Christianization of Rus 27 July 2018, 11:06