23 November 2016, 10:30
Putin, Medvedev visit Christ the Savior Cathedral to offer birthday congratulations to patriarch
Moscow, November 23, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin and Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev have congratulated Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia on his 70th birthday anniversary.
To congratulate the leader of the Russian Orthodox Church, the Russian head of state arrived at the Christ the Savior Cathedral on Tuesday afternoon.
"Happy birthday, wishes of good health and successes in serving your whole congregation and all the Russian people," Putin said.
In reply, the patriarch thanked the president for the congratulations and for having visited the Cathedral.
"It is a great pleasure for me," Putin said, presenting the patriarch with a decorative panel of the Holy Trinity - St. Sergius Monastery.
The panel is made of 3,570 amber pieces, using the "carpet mosaic" technique, is the work of Kaliningrad-based artist Igor Isayev. The work was made to order in one copy only and uses Baltic amber-succinite, over 40 million years old. Around six kilograms of landscape amber and three kilograms of layered amber were used in the making of the panel.
Also arriving at the church on Tuesday was the Russian head of government with his wife. Dmitry and Svetlana Medvedev congratulated the patriarch, after which the premier's wife handed him a white festive bouquet. The patriarch was also presented with the artist Nikolay Barchenkov's A little corner of Zagorsk landscape painting.
Sometime later the patriarch received congratulations from another guest, Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko who is in Moscow on a working visit and due to hold talks with his Russian counterpart at a later point.
"I want to congratulate you not only on my behalf but on behalf of all the Belarusian people," Lukashenko said. He offered wishes of "health and strength" and presented the patriarch with a bouquet of white Minsk roses and the young Belarusian artist Anton Vyrvo's painting of the St. Nicholas garrison cathedral in Brest. The church was built in late 19th century as a smaller copy of Constantinople's Hagia Sophia.
Patriarch Kirill visited the Brest fortress in 2015 and performed a mass to honor the Brest Fortress and all the fallen in the Great Patriotic War. For the patriarch, there was also a personal side to it: his uncle died during the defense of the Fortress from a Nazi attack.
- Lavrov warns against involving Orthodox Churches in political games 22 February 2018, 13:35
- Tajik Salafis intending to join terrorists in Syria dressed up as women to escape police 22 February 2018, 11:25
- To eliminate ISIS on its territory is not enough, its cells remind about themselves in Russia - Metropolitan Hilarion 22 February 2018, 11:01
- Total of 20,500 Muslims from Russia could carry out hajj in 2018 21 February 2018, 11:28
- Clergy could do for countering terrorism in Dagestan more than security services - human rights council head 21 February 2018, 11:25
- Cat who lives at the main Crimean construction site grew fat eating pancakes on Russian Maslenitsa and will observe shrimp diet 20 February 2018, 14:16
- Women killed in Kizlyar to be buried on territory of church as martyrs 20 February 2018, 11:06
- Kizlyar shooting an attempt to pit Dagestan's people, religions against one another – Vasilyev 20 February 2018, 11:04
- 82% of Russians consider unacceptable jokes about the Church 19 February 2018, 17:23
- Investigators probing Kizlyar shooter's affiliation with extremist organizations – Peskov 19 February 2018, 14:02
- Kadyrov says shocked by Kizlyar church attack 19 February 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill sees shooting in Dagestan as provocation aimed at causing discord between Orthodox, Muslims 19 February 2018, 10:39
- Patriarch tells Jordanian king about reason for meeting with pope 15 February 2018, 18:32
- Land for building a church in Portugal allotted to the Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2018, 19:09
- Azerbaijani religious leaders to discuss Aliyev in sermons before election 14 February 2018, 16:55
- Patriarch Kirill meets with Abbas, favors preserving Jerusalem's special status 14 February 2018, 13:12
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis haven't planned new meeting - Metropolitan Hilarion 12 February 2018, 18:23
- The Russian Church considers the Kremlin list as direct pressure of the USA on Russian authorities and electorate 12 February 2018, 14:42
- Chief rabbi of Russia - against initiative of Poland law-makers to punish for wording 'Polish death camps' 12 February 2018, 11:30
- Church School of Post-Graduate and Doctoral Studies obtained state accreditation in Russia 09 February 2018, 18:02
- Ukrainian Security Service initiates a case against UOC priest for a post with St. Georgy ribbon in Facebook 09 February 2018, 17:23
- Quotas for tourists visiting St. Basil’s cathedral can be introduced after 2019 09 February 2018, 13:05
- Russian pro-lifer thanks Trump for struggling against abortions 09 February 2018, 11:34
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the repose of Russian pilot Roman Filipov killed in Syria 09 February 2018, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill speaks of 'unprecedented pressure' for purpose of compromising Russia's sports achievements 05 February 2018, 11:05
- Catalogue of Christian shrines destroyed in Syria compiled by Orthodox and Catholics will be represented in Vienna 02 February 2018, 17:28
- Russian society not ready for pope to visit - Catholic priest 02 February 2018, 14:22
- Patriarch Kirill blessed Russian Olympic athletes, urging them to mind personal responsibility before the country 01 February 2018, 16:54
- An ambulance was bought on money saved on flowers for Patriarch Kirill 01 February 2018, 14:49
- Putin to congratulate Patriarch Kirill on anniversary of his enthronement on Thursday 01 February 2018, 12:41