23 November 2016, 11:00
Patriarch Kirill to President Putin: we have built supporting structure for state-church relationship
Moscow, November 23, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has thanked Russian President Vladimir Putin for the constructive dialogue between the State and the Church.
"With a big thanks to our leaders, primarily to you Vladimir Vladimirovich, I would like to note the very high level of dialogue and cooperation we have developed over the past years with the Russian state in the person of the President, the whole Russian government corps led by you," the patriarch said at a gala concert in honor of his 70th birthday anniversary at the church council hall in the Christ the Savior Cathedral.
He also thanked Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko who, like Putin, attended the concert, "for the remarkable fulfillments that took place in the spiritual life of the Belarusian people."
The patriarch recalled the ideal church-state relationship that existed in Byzantium and is called Symphonia.
"Over the past seven years [of Kirill as patriarch] we did not create the ideal Symphonia but we did build a supporting structure that is helping, little by little, brick after brick, to create the building of symphonical interaction between the church, the pious people and the state," he said.
The Church is not meant to engage in either politics or the economy, at the center of its service being the human heart, the internal human life from which all other things derive, the patriarch said.
"May God bless all our Fatherland, the whole of historical Rus, of which I am the patriarch, all our fraternal Slavic nations which, though living in independent states today, feed on the shared historical source consecrated in the waters of the Dnieper baptismal font. And I am very hopeful that our movement forward will be peaceful, calm and safe," the Russian patriarch said.
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23