23 November 2016, 11:00
Patriarch Kirill to President Putin: we have built supporting structure for state-church relationship
Moscow, November 23, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has thanked Russian President Vladimir Putin for the constructive dialogue between the State and the Church.
"With a big thanks to our leaders, primarily to you Vladimir Vladimirovich, I would like to note the very high level of dialogue and cooperation we have developed over the past years with the Russian state in the person of the President, the whole Russian government corps led by you," the patriarch said at a gala concert in honor of his 70th birthday anniversary at the church council hall in the Christ the Savior Cathedral.
He also thanked Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko who, like Putin, attended the concert, "for the remarkable fulfillments that took place in the spiritual life of the Belarusian people."
The patriarch recalled the ideal church-state relationship that existed in Byzantium and is called Symphonia.
"Over the past seven years [of Kirill as patriarch] we did not create the ideal Symphonia but we did build a supporting structure that is helping, little by little, brick after brick, to create the building of symphonical interaction between the church, the pious people and the state," he said.
The Church is not meant to engage in either politics or the economy, at the center of its service being the human heart, the internal human life from which all other things derive, the patriarch said.
"May God bless all our Fatherland, the whole of historical Rus, of which I am the patriarch, all our fraternal Slavic nations which, though living in independent states today, feed on the shared historical source consecrated in the waters of the Dnieper baptismal font. And I am very hopeful that our movement forward will be peaceful, calm and safe," the Russian patriarch said.
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08