28 November 2016, 11:50
Latvia's entry ban for Protodeacon Kurayev "beyond comprehension" - Russian embassy
Moscow, November 28, Interfax - The Russian Embassy to Latvia has criticized the Latvian authorities' decision to ban Protodeacon Andrei Kurayev from entering the country.
"On November 26 Andrei Kurayev was not let into Latvia. The inclusion of religious figures on the list of people banned from entering Latvia is beyond comprehension and certainly does not help normalize the Russian-Latvian dialogue," the embassy said on its Facebook page.
That the Latvian authorities had declared him a persona grata was announced by the well-known missionary on his blog on Saturday.
"Sitting at the airport in Riga. Border guards are saying that the Latvian security service has long banned me from entry and the ban was extended in 2015," the protodeacon wrote.
Kurayev assumed that the decision may have been a "petty revenge" for him once calling Latvia's then president Andris Berzins "a not very mature politician" after Berzins wrote to Patriarch Kirill asking him to refrain from traveling to Latvia.
Another possible reason for the entry ban, according to the protodeacon, could be his remark that Latvia's accession to the European Union came at the price of Islamization.
- Russian Orthodox Church official comments on patriarch's stance on 'Yekaterinburg remains' 18 July 2018, 17:20
- First Orthodox monastery opens in Japan 17 July 2018, 18:13
- ECHR orders Russia to pay some 48,000 euros to Pussy Riot members over 2012 'punk prayer' case 17 July 2018, 13:27
- Russian Church takes notice of findings of new expert examination of imperial family remains – Legoyda (updated) 16 July 2018, 18:06
- Autocephaly is pillar of Ukrainian state - Poroshenko 16 July 2018, 17:33
- Moscow Patriarchate bishop dies in Athos 16 July 2018, 16:28
- Remains found near Yekaterinburg belong to Nicholas II, family - Russian Investigative Committee (updated) 16 July 2018, 12:23
- Memory of tragic death of imperial family to help rethink history - patriarch 16 July 2018, 10:11
- Patriarch visits Church on the Blood in Yekaterinburg 13 July 2018, 18:49
- Patriarch Kirill to lead 21-km procession in memory of Nicholas II's family 12 July 2018, 22:18
- Prosecutor seeks 7 years in penal colony for 'God Kuzya' for creation of sect, fraud 11 July 2018, 17:39
- Unrest in Ganja provoked by separatists, religious radicals, opposition - Azerbaijani presidential aide 11 July 2018, 14:29
- Imperial Orthodox Society denies connection to expulsion of Russian diplomats from Greece 11 July 2018, 13:37
- Putin again goes to Valaam Monastery 11 July 2018, 13:17
- Attempts of Russians to gain influence on Mount Athos resulted in diplomatic scandal - media 11 July 2018, 13:10
- Police clear protesters from chancellery of head of Armenian Church 10 July 2018, 17:57
- Patriarch Kirill, representatives of Constantinople Church discuss preserving inter-Orthodox unity 09 July 2018, 17:12
- Constantinople's response to Ukrainian Church's request for autocephaly to follow canonical logic - Russian Church official 09 July 2018, 13:24
- Church not planning to recognize authenticity of tsar's remains for 100th anniversary of killing of Nicholas II, family 09 July 2018, 13:16
- Onboard church started functioning at the Aurora cruiser first time after 1917 06 July 2018, 17:23
- Quarter-ton cakes to be baked in Kalmykia for Dalai Lama the 14th birthday 06 July 2018, 13:06
- Protesters break into Etchmiadzin Monastery, demand resignation of Armenian catholicos 06 July 2018, 12:42
- Constantinople Church never laid claim to Ukrainian Metropolitanate taken over by Russian Orthodox Church in 17th century – theologian 06 July 2018, 12:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion does not recommend to marry adherents of other religious traditions at backgrounds of the Mundial 02 July 2018, 13:55
- The House of Romanov official: expertise of the ‘Yekaterinburg remains’ is not completed 02 July 2018, 11:00
- Rumors about temporary nature of transferring the Metropolitanate of Kiev to the Moscow Patriarchate 300 years ago have no confirmation - Metropolitan Hilarion 29 June 2018, 13:55
- Delegation of the Constantinople Patriarchate will come to Moscow on July 9 for discussing the topic of Ukrainian autocephaly 29 June 2018, 13:16
- Legitimization of Ukrainian schism could cause bloodshed - Moscow Patriarchate 28 June 2018, 16:50
- After Istanbul visit, Ukrainian Orthodox Church hierarchs dismiss rumors of Constantinople Patriarchate's intention to grant autocephaly 26 June 2018, 19:07
- The hunting control service believes bears in Murmansk 'learned' the schedule of church feasts 26 June 2018, 18:33