01 December 2016, 16:12
Old curse was broken when the Cathedral of Christ the Savior was built in Moscow
Moscow, December 1, Interfax - Former Moscow mayor Yury Luzhkov told that when restoring the Cathedral of Christ the Savior he faced an old curse.
"I had an idea to build the Transfiguration Church below the main cathedral, on the foundation of the Palace of Congresses in order to receive forgiveness of hegumenia for the blasphemy of the 19th century, when our predecessors were pressed to destroy her church and the nunnery. So in fact, today there are two churches there. The upper, which is the Cathedral of Christ the Savior restored as it was constructed by Thon, and the lower Transfiguration Church built to commemorate St. Alexy Monastery which had earlier existed here," Luzhkov said in his interview published on Thursday by the Komsomolskaya Pravda daily.
He reminded that when architect Konstantin Thon made a project of the first church, the tsar chose the place near Kremlin, where St. Alexy Monastery of the 14th century with the Transfiguration Church was located. The monastery was moved to Krasnoye Selo in 1837 as was ordered by Nicholas I with Metropolitan Filaret's of Moscow blessing.
"There is a legend that the mother superior hegumenia Claudia cursed the place. She said nothing that would be built here would last long. Her curse seemed absolute. The Cathedral of Christ the Savior was blown up. The Palace of Congresses was not finished, the constructions that had been built were removed," the former mayor said.
He also told about coincidence of dates when the project was realized.
"President Yeltsin made his famous address to the Russians saying that he leaves Kremlin before term. This very hour, before the new 2000 year coming, the patriarch of Moscow and All Russia conducted small consecration of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. This very minute!" Luzhkov recalls.
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28