01 December 2016, 16:12
Old curse was broken when the Cathedral of Christ the Savior was built in Moscow
Moscow, December 1, Interfax - Former Moscow mayor Yury Luzhkov told that when restoring the Cathedral of Christ the Savior he faced an old curse.
"I had an idea to build the Transfiguration Church below the main cathedral, on the foundation of the Palace of Congresses in order to receive forgiveness of hegumenia for the blasphemy of the 19th century, when our predecessors were pressed to destroy her church and the nunnery. So in fact, today there are two churches there. The upper, which is the Cathedral of Christ the Savior restored as it was constructed by Thon, and the lower Transfiguration Church built to commemorate St. Alexy Monastery which had earlier existed here," Luzhkov said in his interview published on Thursday by the Komsomolskaya Pravda daily.
He reminded that when architect Konstantin Thon made a project of the first church, the tsar chose the place near Kremlin, where St. Alexy Monastery of the 14th century with the Transfiguration Church was located. The monastery was moved to Krasnoye Selo in 1837 as was ordered by Nicholas I with Metropolitan Filaret's of Moscow blessing.
"There is a legend that the mother superior hegumenia Claudia cursed the place. She said nothing that would be built here would last long. Her curse seemed absolute. The Cathedral of Christ the Savior was blown up. The Palace of Congresses was not finished, the constructions that had been built were removed," the former mayor said.
He also told about coincidence of dates when the project was realized.
"President Yeltsin made his famous address to the Russians saying that he leaves Kremlin before term. This very hour, before the new 2000 year coming, the patriarch of Moscow and All Russia conducted small consecration of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. This very minute!" Luzhkov recalls.
- Epiphany bathing held at the pole of cold in Yakutia at 63 degrees below zero 19 January 2018, 16:34
- Putin's Epiphany dip shown in media because it took place in public with many believers present - Peskov 19 January 2018, 16:13
- Putin takes part in Orthodox Epiphany bathing in Tver Region monastery 19 January 2018, 11:38
- Russian Orthodox priests to consecrate all oceans on Epiphany eve 18 January 2018, 15:58
- Continued attacks on churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2018, 16:42
- Priest Grozovsky to appeal 14-year pedophilia sentence 17 January 2018, 10:32
- Priest Grozovsky gets 14 years in high-security prison for pedophilia 17 January 2018, 10:12
- Directorate of Muslims of Uzbekistan disagrees with U.S. State Dept analysis of religious freedom in republic 15 January 2018, 16:24
- Putin's comparison of Lenin Mausoleum to veneration of holy relics not sensational - Peskov 15 January 2018, 14:08
- Putin defines New Valaam Monastery relics saved by Finland as unifying force 15 January 2018, 10:44
- Putin's words about similarity of Communism, Christianity smooth things over Lenin Mausoleum - CPRF 15 January 2018, 10:43
- Communist ideology similar to Christianity - Putin 15 January 2018, 10:00
- Russians have become more intolerant to treachery, abortions and homosexual connections for twenty years - poll 11 January 2018, 17:56
- Brother of leader of Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan calls on extremists to 'open their eyes' 11 January 2018, 17:39
- Orthodox children in Syrian Latakia received Christmas gifts from Moscow parish 09 January 2018, 18:41
- St. Petersburg among Russia's top three most popular places to spend Orthodox Christmas 09 January 2018, 14:36
- Patriarch Kirill concerned by social disintegration 07 January 2018, 16:57
- Church not going to hinder expert work on "Yekaterinburg remains" - Patriarch Kirill 07 January 2018, 16:56
- Putin offers Christmas greetings to Orthodox Christians 07 January 2018, 11:18
- Russia can have twice as many churches in 30 years - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:26
- Not less than 120 churches in Syria need to be restored - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:02
- Priestly ordination gives Feodor Konyukhov special power, his wife believes 25 December 2017, 16:31
- No one needs conflict in Donbass, it weakens all those involved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 13:06
- All conditions of prisoner exchange in Donbass approved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 11:43
- All ethnic and religious groups, parties and armed groups invited to Syrian National Dialogue Congress - Shoigu 22 December 2017, 17:40
- Scharansky is impressed by positive changes in life of Russian Jews 22 December 2017, 10:51
- Vucic invites Putin to Belgrade for 800th anniversary of autocephaly of Serbian Orthodox Church 20 December 2017, 10:43
- Governors should be evaluated for their affairs, not longevity of their rule, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 18 December 2017, 20:39
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls provocation Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel capital 18 December 2017, 16:01
- Not only Jews should participate in visits to Auschwitz, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia believes 18 December 2017, 14:52