01 December 2016, 16:12
Old curse was broken when the Cathedral of Christ the Savior was built in Moscow
Moscow, December 1, Interfax - Former Moscow mayor Yury Luzhkov told that when restoring the Cathedral of Christ the Savior he faced an old curse.
"I had an idea to build the Transfiguration Church below the main cathedral, on the foundation of the Palace of Congresses in order to receive forgiveness of hegumenia for the blasphemy of the 19th century, when our predecessors were pressed to destroy her church and the nunnery. So in fact, today there are two churches there. The upper, which is the Cathedral of Christ the Savior restored as it was constructed by Thon, and the lower Transfiguration Church built to commemorate St. Alexy Monastery which had earlier existed here," Luzhkov said in his interview published on Thursday by the Komsomolskaya Pravda daily.
He reminded that when architect Konstantin Thon made a project of the first church, the tsar chose the place near Kremlin, where St. Alexy Monastery of the 14th century with the Transfiguration Church was located. The monastery was moved to Krasnoye Selo in 1837 as was ordered by Nicholas I with Metropolitan Filaret's of Moscow blessing.
"There is a legend that the mother superior hegumenia Claudia cursed the place. She said nothing that would be built here would last long. Her curse seemed absolute. The Cathedral of Christ the Savior was blown up. The Palace of Congresses was not finished, the constructions that had been built were removed," the former mayor said.
He also told about coincidence of dates when the project was realized.
"President Yeltsin made his famous address to the Russians saying that he leaves Kremlin before term. This very hour, before the new 2000 year coming, the patriarch of Moscow and All Russia conducted small consecration of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. This very minute!" Luzhkov recalls.
- Christians of Soviet times showed an example of uncompromising faith, Benedict XVI believes 24 May 2018, 14:32
- Lawyer for convicted priest Grozovsky files appeal 24 May 2018, 14:22
- Former Pope of Rome in his book criticizes new trends in Catholicism - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 May 2018, 14:13
- Serbian patriarch supports the unity of the Russian Church 24 May 2018, 12:27
- Moldovan president says LGBT march in Chisinau is alien to his country 22 May 2018, 16:50
- Autocephalous Church will complete formation of Ukraine's spiritual independence, boost national security - Poroshenko 21 May 2018, 11:52
- Sexual minorities hold their first successful parade in Chisinau 21 May 2018, 11:50
- Two policemen, churchgoer killed in special operation to eliminate militants in Grozny 21 May 2018, 11:46
- Christianity is world's most persecuted religion - Patriarch Kirill 17 May 2018, 18:54
- Granting Ukrainian splinter autocephalous church status would be legal nonsense - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 May 2018, 11:58
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes the world has entered the period of a new 'cold war,' presidents of Russia and the USA should sit at negotiating table 14 May 2018, 15:11
- Eco mosque functioning on solar batteries opened in Ukraine 11 May 2018, 17:33
- Establishing of the so-called one local Church in Ukraine will deepen the existing schism, the UOC official believes 11 May 2018, 17:15
- Jewish Day of Salvation and Liberation promotes understanding among people - Putin 10 May 2018, 13:22
- Russia seeks deeper ties with Islamic states - Putin 10 May 2018, 11:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion hopes local Churches will support canonical Church in Ukraine 08 May 2018, 10:38
- Patriarch Kirill wishes Putin health, strength to fulfill presidential tasks 07 May 2018, 16:08
- Metropolitan Onufry: setting up a united local Church in Ukraine will make us second-rate people 07 May 2018, 15:18
- First time in the new history six Jewish couples got married simultaneously 04 May 2018, 18:40
- Metropolitan Hilarion foresees schism in Orthodoxy compared to the Great Schism if Ukrainian schismatics obtain autocephaly 04 May 2018, 12:36
- Suspected organizer of Aum Shinrikyo sect's unit arrested in Moscow 04 May 2018, 10:33
- Metropolitan Hilarion does not share Patriarch Bartholomew's opinion about inevitable unification of Churches 03 May 2018, 11:17
- Catholicos of All Armenians, Armenian protest leader discuss ways of resolving crisis in country 28 April 2018, 11:07
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for Putin-Trump summit to promote world peace 23 April 2018, 15:09
- Kiev envoy goes to Istanbul with request on Ukrainian autocephaly for Ecumenical patriarch 20 April 2018, 17:35
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges protestors, police to exercise restraints 19 April 2018, 18:24
- Metropolitan Hilarion on situation in Ukraine: secular administration cannot initiate creation of autocephalous Church (updated) 19 April 2018, 14:41
- Rada speaker hopes for approval of autocephalous Ukrainian Orthodox Church by late July 19 April 2018, 14:37
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's autocephaly is geopolitical issue – Poroshenko 19 April 2018, 14:20
- Actions aimed at dividing church are not welcome - Peskov on situation in Ukraine 19 April 2018, 12:52