01 December 2016, 16:12
Old curse was broken when the Cathedral of Christ the Savior was built in Moscow
Moscow, December 1, Interfax - Former Moscow mayor Yury Luzhkov told that when restoring the Cathedral of Christ the Savior he faced an old curse.
"I had an idea to build the Transfiguration Church below the main cathedral, on the foundation of the Palace of Congresses in order to receive forgiveness of hegumenia for the blasphemy of the 19th century, when our predecessors were pressed to destroy her church and the nunnery. So in fact, today there are two churches there. The upper, which is the Cathedral of Christ the Savior restored as it was constructed by Thon, and the lower Transfiguration Church built to commemorate St. Alexy Monastery which had earlier existed here," Luzhkov said in his interview published on Thursday by the Komsomolskaya Pravda daily.
He reminded that when architect Konstantin Thon made a project of the first church, the tsar chose the place near Kremlin, where St. Alexy Monastery of the 14th century with the Transfiguration Church was located. The monastery was moved to Krasnoye Selo in 1837 as was ordered by Nicholas I with Metropolitan Filaret's of Moscow blessing.
"There is a legend that the mother superior hegumenia Claudia cursed the place. She said nothing that would be built here would last long. Her curse seemed absolute. The Cathedral of Christ the Savior was blown up. The Palace of Congresses was not finished, the constructions that had been built were removed," the former mayor said.
He also told about coincidence of dates when the project was realized.
"President Yeltsin made his famous address to the Russians saying that he leaves Kremlin before term. This very hour, before the new 2000 year coming, the patriarch of Moscow and All Russia conducted small consecration of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. This very minute!" Luzhkov recalls.
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25
- Archbishops' Council of Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready to meet with Ukrainian president, but on church soil - statement 13 November 2018, 19:05
- Poroshenko no-show at Kiev Monastery of the Caves to meet with Ukrainian Church clergy 13 November 2018, 17:13
- Metropolitan of Kiev denounces attempts to turn church into 'political tool' 13 November 2018, 17:03
- Chernigov clergy remain committed to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 13 November 2018, 16:59
- Zhitomir Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 13 November 2018, 10:49
- Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine 12 November 2018, 18:41
- Putin stresses importance of friendly relations between Russia, Muslim countries 12 November 2018, 15:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church not to participate in unifying assembly – chancellor 12 November 2018, 13:29
- Patriarch Kirill sends priest to Istanbul to care for Russian believers after severance of relations with Constantinople 12 November 2018, 13:25
- Unification assembly in Ukraine unlikely to be held before end of Nov - media 09 November 2018, 17:20
- Lugansk Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 09 November 2018, 10:59
- Rector of Moscow Theological Academy added to Mirotvorets database (updated) 08 November 2018, 18:11
- Ukraine's border service comments on denial of entry to rector of Moscow Theological Academy 08 November 2018, 16:09
- Poroshenko ignored millions of Ukrainians in statement on Russian Orthodox Church's place - Moscow Patriarchate 08 November 2018, 14:58
- Moscow Theological Academy rector barred from Ukraine 08 November 2018, 11:10
- Moscow Patriarchate says Church Poroshenko offered to return 'home to Russia' consists of Ukrainian citizens 08 November 2018, 10:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church accuses President Poroshenko of breaking Ukrainian constitution which guarantees church protection 08 November 2018, 10:55
- Activity of radical youth groups sharply increases in Russia - FSB 07 November 2018, 18:56
- Poroshenko signs law on transferring church in Kiev to Ecumenical Patriarchate 07 November 2018, 18:03
- Russian Orthodox Church has no business in Ukraine – Poroshenko 07 November 2018, 14:45
- Russian Church considers opening of additional parishes abroad for its believers in regard of break with Constantinople 06 November 2018, 11:52
- A new science of destructology appears in Russia 06 November 2018, 11:35
- Russian Church doubtful the mental health of Constantinople representative who announced the revision of the ROC's current status 06 November 2018, 11:09
- Ukrainian Church recalls Constantinople that he doesn't exist for more than 500 years 06 November 2018, 10:49