02 December 2016, 18:28
Azerbaijani president concerned by confrontation in Muslim world
Baku, December 2, Interfax - Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev expressed concern over confrontation between Muslims in Islamic countries.
"We cannot look on indifferently while Muslims in Muslim countries are destroying each other, while the blood of brothers is shed," Aliyev said at a meeting with the members of the Supreme Religious Council of the Caucasian People, who arrived to attend a conference headlined Traditions of religious tolerance in the Caucasus and the multiculturalism model of Azerbaijan, on Friday.
At the same time he noted that ties between Muslims of the Caucasus are strengthening.
"Azerbaijan and the republics of the North Caucasus are united by strong historical friendship, mutual respect and support. I am glad that today these ties are developing between the republics of the Caucasus at all levels, including between religious leaders. It strengthens the unity of Muslims of the Caucasus and is an example for Muslims all over the world," Aliyev said.
The president said that Azerbaijan is actively working on ensuring solidarity between Muslims across the globe. "We are proud that following Baku Nakhchivan became the second city in Azerbaijan, which was declared the 2018 cultural capital of the Islam world by the ISESCO [Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization]," he said.
Aliyev also expressed gratitude to the Muslim world for support of Baku's stance on the Karabakh conflict settlement. "Muslims of the entire world condemned April's aggression by Armenians and formed a contact group on the settlement of the Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict," Azerbaijani president said.
A ceasefire between Armenia and the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Republic on the one hand and Azerbaijan on the other was established in May 1994.
- Church unification assembly may be held in early Dec - Parubiy 19 November 2018, 13:10
- Synod of Ecumenical Patriarchate to decide on date of church unification assembly in Ukraine 19 November 2018, 12:20
- Donbass people affected by war get 15 mln euro aid from Pope 19 November 2018, 12:02
- "Kiev Patriarchate" denies rumors unification assembly set for Nov 22 19 November 2018, 11:59
- Polish Orthodox Church bans all contacts with Ukrainian schismatics 19 November 2018, 11:55
- Crimean Diocese of Ukrainian Orthodox Church has solidarity with Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 19:11
- Local church being created is political organization - Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 16:40
- Vinnitsa clergy refuse to follow their archbishop into 'local' church 16 November 2018, 15:22
- FSB searches apartments of Jehovah's Witnesses members in Crimea's Dzhankoy 16 November 2018, 11:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media 15 November 2018, 22:20
- U.S. embassy concerned by Kiev's St. Andrew Church attack 15 November 2018, 19:25
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns of schemes using its bishops' signatures at unification assembly 15 November 2018, 15:46
- Unknown individuals attack St. Andrew's Church, transferred to Ecumenical Patriarchate, in Kiev 15 November 2018, 15:34
- Dissenting bishops of canonical Ukrainian Church might ignore 'unifying assembly' - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 November 2018, 14:56
- Constantinople deceiving supporters of Ukrainian autocephaly - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 November 2018, 12:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate" may nominate Filaret for head of new church 15 November 2018, 12:02
- Date of unification assembly not known yet - "Kiev Patriarchate" 15 November 2018, 11:10
- Upcoming 'uniting' assembly in Ukraine to have negligible canonical consequences - Russian Orthodox Church 14 November 2018, 21:58
- "Unification" council to be held in Ukraine on Nov 22 - media (updated) 14 November 2018, 21:54
- Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media 14 November 2018, 15:36
- Poroshenko administration refuses to show journalists agreement with Patriarch Bartholomew 14 November 2018, 13:58
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25
- Archbishops' Council of Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready to meet with Ukrainian president, but on church soil - statement 13 November 2018, 19:05
- Poroshenko no-show at Kiev Monastery of the Caves to meet with Ukrainian Church clergy 13 November 2018, 17:13
- Metropolitan of Kiev denounces attempts to turn church into 'political tool' 13 November 2018, 17:03