02 December 2016, 18:28
Azerbaijani president concerned by confrontation in Muslim world
Baku, December 2, Interfax - Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev expressed concern over confrontation between Muslims in Islamic countries.
"We cannot look on indifferently while Muslims in Muslim countries are destroying each other, while the blood of brothers is shed," Aliyev said at a meeting with the members of the Supreme Religious Council of the Caucasian People, who arrived to attend a conference headlined Traditions of religious tolerance in the Caucasus and the multiculturalism model of Azerbaijan, on Friday.
At the same time he noted that ties between Muslims of the Caucasus are strengthening.
"Azerbaijan and the republics of the North Caucasus are united by strong historical friendship, mutual respect and support. I am glad that today these ties are developing between the republics of the Caucasus at all levels, including between religious leaders. It strengthens the unity of Muslims of the Caucasus and is an example for Muslims all over the world," Aliyev said.
The president said that Azerbaijan is actively working on ensuring solidarity between Muslims across the globe. "We are proud that following Baku Nakhchivan became the second city in Azerbaijan, which was declared the 2018 cultural capital of the Islam world by the ISESCO [Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization]," he said.
Aliyev also expressed gratitude to the Muslim world for support of Baku's stance on the Karabakh conflict settlement. "Muslims of the entire world condemned April's aggression by Armenians and formed a contact group on the settlement of the Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict," Azerbaijani president said.
A ceasefire between Armenia and the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Republic on the one hand and Azerbaijan on the other was established in May 1994.
- Religious radicalism in CIS countries threatens Central Asian security - Patrushev (updated) 22 November 2017, 15:52
- Russian Orthodox Church Bishops' Council to discuss authenticity of imperial family remains (updated) 22 November 2017, 14:23
- Russia - Islamic World group to meet in Saudi Arabia in 2018 22 November 2017, 13:39
- West's atheization worse than what happened in USSR - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2017, 10:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11