02 December 2016, 18:28
Azerbaijani president concerned by confrontation in Muslim world
Baku, December 2, Interfax - Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev expressed concern over confrontation between Muslims in Islamic countries.
"We cannot look on indifferently while Muslims in Muslim countries are destroying each other, while the blood of brothers is shed," Aliyev said at a meeting with the members of the Supreme Religious Council of the Caucasian People, who arrived to attend a conference headlined Traditions of religious tolerance in the Caucasus and the multiculturalism model of Azerbaijan, on Friday.
At the same time he noted that ties between Muslims of the Caucasus are strengthening.
"Azerbaijan and the republics of the North Caucasus are united by strong historical friendship, mutual respect and support. I am glad that today these ties are developing between the republics of the Caucasus at all levels, including between religious leaders. It strengthens the unity of Muslims of the Caucasus and is an example for Muslims all over the world," Aliyev said.
The president said that Azerbaijan is actively working on ensuring solidarity between Muslims across the globe. "We are proud that following Baku Nakhchivan became the second city in Azerbaijan, which was declared the 2018 cultural capital of the Islam world by the ISESCO [Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization]," he said.
Aliyev also expressed gratitude to the Muslim world for support of Baku's stance on the Karabakh conflict settlement. "Muslims of the entire world condemned April's aggression by Armenians and formed a contact group on the settlement of the Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict," Azerbaijani president said.
A ceasefire between Armenia and the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Republic on the one hand and Azerbaijan on the other was established in May 1994.
- Moldovan president says LGBT march in Chisinau is alien to his country 22 May 2018, 16:50
- Autocephalous Church will complete formation of Ukraine's spiritual independence, boost national security - Poroshenko 21 May 2018, 11:52
- Sexual minorities hold their first successful parade in Chisinau 21 May 2018, 11:50
- Two policemen, churchgoer killed in special operation to eliminate militants in Grozny 21 May 2018, 11:46
- Christianity is world's most persecuted religion - Patriarch Kirill 17 May 2018, 18:54
- Granting Ukrainian splinter autocephalous church status would be legal nonsense - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 May 2018, 11:58
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes the world has entered the period of a new 'cold war,' presidents of Russia and the USA should sit at negotiating table 14 May 2018, 15:11
- Eco mosque functioning on solar batteries opened in Ukraine 11 May 2018, 17:33
- Establishing of the so-called one local Church in Ukraine will deepen the existing schism, the UOC official believes 11 May 2018, 17:15
- Jewish Day of Salvation and Liberation promotes understanding among people - Putin 10 May 2018, 13:22
- Russia seeks deeper ties with Islamic states - Putin 10 May 2018, 11:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion hopes local Churches will support canonical Church in Ukraine 08 May 2018, 10:38
- Patriarch Kirill wishes Putin health, strength to fulfill presidential tasks 07 May 2018, 16:08
- Metropolitan Onufry: setting up a united local Church in Ukraine will make us second-rate people 07 May 2018, 15:18
- First time in the new history six Jewish couples got married simultaneously 04 May 2018, 18:40
- Metropolitan Hilarion foresees schism in Orthodoxy compared to the Great Schism if Ukrainian schismatics obtain autocephaly 04 May 2018, 12:36
- Suspected organizer of Aum Shinrikyo sect's unit arrested in Moscow 04 May 2018, 10:33
- Metropolitan Hilarion does not share Patriarch Bartholomew's opinion about inevitable unification of Churches 03 May 2018, 11:17
- Catholicos of All Armenians, Armenian protest leader discuss ways of resolving crisis in country 28 April 2018, 11:07
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for Putin-Trump summit to promote world peace 23 April 2018, 15:09
- Kiev envoy goes to Istanbul with request on Ukrainian autocephaly for Ecumenical patriarch 20 April 2018, 17:35
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges protestors, police to exercise restraints 19 April 2018, 18:24
- Metropolitan Hilarion on situation in Ukraine: secular administration cannot initiate creation of autocephalous Church (updated) 19 April 2018, 14:41
- Rada speaker hopes for approval of autocephalous Ukrainian Orthodox Church by late July 19 April 2018, 14:37
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's autocephaly is geopolitical issue – Poroshenko 19 April 2018, 14:20
- Actions aimed at dividing church are not welcome - Peskov on situation in Ukraine 19 April 2018, 12:52
- Poroshenko to phone Patriarch Bartholomew to discuss autocephaly of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 19 April 2018, 12:43
- Rada backs Poroshenko request for Ecumenical Patriarch on setting up autocephalous local Orthodox Church in Ukraine (updated) 19 April 2018, 12:04
- Identical monuments to St. John of Kronstadt will be set up in Russia, USA and Germany 18 April 2018, 19:57
- Syrian mufti plans visit to Russia 18 April 2018, 12:10