05 December 2016, 16:16
Hollande, Patriarch Kirill discuss protection of Christians in Middle East, Ukraine crisis
Paris, December 5, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and French President Francois Hollande have discussed the protection of Christians in the Middle East and peacekeeping efforts in Ukraine at their meeting in Paris.
"Human fates and human lives, these are the main thing. This is precisely what we talked about with Pope Francis in Havana. The Russian Church is ready to cooperate with all parties interested in the cause of protecting the Christian presence in the Middle East," Patriarch Kirill said at the meeting on Monday.
As for the conflict in Ukraine, the Russian Orthodox Church's position from the start has been different from that of several other religious communities in Ukraine, the patriarch said.
"In our view, peacekeeping by the church is the only mechanism that can now reconcile people in Ukraine. And in this sense, the peacekeeping mission of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church plays a special role," Patriarch Kirill said.
He thanked Hollande for allowing the construction of the Russian Trinity Church and the Russian spiritual and cultural center on Branly Embankment in central Paris. This place will serve as a platform for developing spiritual and humanitarian initiatives between France and Russia, the patriarch said.
For his part, Hollande said that France supports the Christian minority in Iraq and Syria and welcomes all, including religious, initiatives on how to resolve the situation in the Middle East.
With regard to the Ukrainian conflict, the French president said implementing the Minsk agreements is important.
He also welcomed February's meeting between Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis in Havana and the consecration last Sunday of the Russian spiritual and cultural center which opened in Paris in October as part of the development of cultural initiatives between France and Russia.
At a meeting with the Catholic Archbishop of Paris Cardinal Andre Vingt-Trois later on Monday, Patriarch Kirill spoke highly of his conversation with Hollande.
"We had a good conversation with the president of France, Francois Hollande. We discussed important modern day issues [...]. I think an opportunity to meet with the French president, the man who leads a secular republic, a secular state - it is a good signal that secular government is open to discussion with Church representatives of acute problems of the day that we all worry about," Patriarch Kirill said at the meeting at the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Paris.
Cardinal Vingt-Trois noted that he often meets with the president to discuss important matters.
"This is the man who listens, and listens sympathetically," Vingt-Trois said of the president, but, he added, no one knows whether this dialogue will lead to concrete results.
- Patriarch Kirill diagnosed with Covid-19 30 September 2022, 12:41
- State Duma Council to consider consultations on possible reintroduction of death penalty 27 September 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill calls for spiritual mobilization 27 September 2022, 15:34
- Russia's FSB reports detention a Muslim recruter in Moscow area 27 September 2022, 11:58
- Russian Church warns the West against "slipping into a bestial state" 23 September 2022, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill declares the futility of attempts to intimidate the Russians 19 September 2022, 14:04
- Religious leaders call for ending conflicts, bloodshed in the world at congress in Nur-Sultan 15 September 2022, 14:49
- Some 10,000 believers attending papal mass in Kazakh capital 14 September 2022, 17:16
- Russian Supreme Court brands as terrorist, bans Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan 14 September 2022, 11:42
- Pontiff urges religious leaders to help settle conflicts through dialogue 14 September 2022, 11:41
- Patriarch Kirill: attempts to build world order without relying on moral values led to fierce confrontation 14 September 2022, 11:40
- Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan elected new First Hierarch of Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia 13 September 2022, 20:42
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges world to react to Azerbaijan's actions 13 September 2022, 15:42
- Pope Francis arrives in Kazakhstan's capital 13 September 2022, 15:38
- Russian State Duma may hold hearings on LGBT propaganda ban in Oct-Nov 13 September 2022, 14:50
- Latvian Orthodox Church chooses not to argue with govt about its status 12 September 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill calls Elizabeth II symbol of sustainability of centuries-old traditions for entire Europe 09 September 2022, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church on declaration of Latvian Church's autocephaly by parliament: they surpassed Middle Ages 08 September 2022, 21:45
- Latvian Saeima endorses law on independence of Latvian Orthodox Church 08 September 2022, 19:06
- WCC refuses to accuse Russian Orthodox Church despite pressure 08 September 2022, 17:03
- Court in Primorye overrules order committing Yakutia shaman Gabyshev to hospital 08 September 2022, 10:31
- Russian ombudsman calls for moratorium on death penalty in DPR 07 September 2022, 14:42
- Patriarch Kirill highlights Russia's special role in modern history 06 September 2022, 17:35
- Riga seeking independence of Latvian Orthodox Church from Moscow Patriarchate (updated) 05 September 2022, 17:44
- Russian Orthodox Church outraged by interference of Latvian secular authorities in church affairs 05 September 2022, 15:32
- World Council of Churches refuses to isolate Russian Orthodox Church delegation at its assembly 01 September 2022, 21:32
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses German president of putting pressure on World Council of Churches 01 September 2022, 14:23
- Russian Orthodox Church views Kyiv's sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as PR campaign 31 August 2022, 17:25
- Fines for LGBT propaganda to be from 50,000 to 200,000 rubles for citizens, foreigners may be deported from Russia 31 August 2022, 16:42
- Ukrainian govt approves proposed sanctions against Patriarch Kirill 31 August 2022, 09:56