12 December 2016, 18:28
Ancient shrines of Georgian Mtskheta obtain special UNESCO status
Moscow, December 12, Interfax - UNESCO allots a status of especially secured objects to historic sites of old Georgian capital Mtskheta among which is the Svetitskhoveli Cathedral (the 11th century), the Jvari Church (the 7th century), the Samtavro Monastery (the 4th century).
Georgian Culture Minister Mikhail Giorgadze told the journalists that such a decision was taken at the session of the countries-members of the committee of the 2nd Hague Convention For protection of cultural property in the event of armed conflict.
"Status of intensified guarding means that in case of a military conflict all participants in it are obliged to provide protection for the objects of cultural heritage," Giorgadze said.
He noted that only ten objects in the world had this status so far. "From now on Mtskheta has become the eleventh object, this status is given to Svetitskhoveli, Jvari and Samtavro Monastery," the minister said.
Founded in the 5th century BC Mtskheta is considered "holy" in Georgia. Majority of the country'r cult sites are situated in Mtskheta located in 20 km from Tbilisi. This old town is called the "second Jerusalem." One of the greatest shrines of the Christian world - the Robes of Christ are kept here. It explains a status of Mtskheta as the holy site that attracts pilgrims and tourists from the whole world.
- Lukashenko promises to support unity of Orthodox faith 15 October 2018, 13:46
- Police release 100 people detained near Kiev Monastery of the Caves on Sunday – media 15 October 2018, 13:43
- Russian Security Council discussed Constantinople decisions on Russian Church in Ukraine on Friday – Peskov 15 October 2018, 13:40
- Patriarch Kirill thanks Lukashenko for Belarusian govt's good relations with Belarusian Orthodox Church 15 October 2018, 11:32
- Minsk worried about possible schism in Orthodox Church – Lukashenko 15 October 2018, 11:29
- Lukashenko meets with Patriarch Kirill 15 October 2018, 11:09
- Ukraine never was, never will be Russian Orthodox Church's canonical territory – Poroshenko 15 October 2018, 11:01
- Ukrainian authorities to respect decision by flock who want to keep unity with Russian Orthodox Church – Poroshenko 15 October 2018, 10:58
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for continued Orthodox unity 13 October 2018, 18:07
- Constantinople Patriarchate still does not see Filaret Denisenko as patriarch - Phanar hierarch 13 October 2018, 18:05
- Constantinople Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine makes impossible Russian Orthodox Church's unity with it - Metropolitan Hilarion 13 October 2018, 18:02
- Putin, Russian Security Council permanent members discuss situation of Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine - Peskov 13 October 2018, 17:59
- Constantinople Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine makes impossible Russian Orthodox Church's unity with it - Metropolitan Hilarion 13 October 2018, 11:02
- Lavrov calls Patriarch Bartholomew's actions on Ukraine as provocation backed by U.S. (updated) 12 October 2018, 19:35
- Russian Orthodox Church proposes convene extraordinary pan-Orthodox council to depose Patriarch Bartholomew, his Synod members 12 October 2018, 19:24
- Metropolitan of Czech Lands and Slovakia expresses solidarity with canonical Church of Ukraine 12 October 2018, 17:36
- Kremlin vows to defend Orthodox Christians' interests in Ukraine using political, diplomatic methods 12 October 2018, 14:29
- Kremlin shares Russian Church's concern over Ecumenical Patriarchate's decisions – Peskov 12 October 2018, 14:28
- "Kiev Patriarchate" initiating emergency unification assembly 12 October 2018, 14:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church not to participate in unification assembly initiated by "Kiev Patriarchate" updated) 12 October 2018, 12:44
- Ukraine's Interior Ministry promises to rebuff possible provocations over granting of autocephaly to Ukrainian church 12 October 2018, 12:41
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls Ecumenical Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine church 'illegal' 12 October 2018, 12:40
- Russian Orthodox Church's response to Constantinople to be tough, decisive - representative 11 October 2018, 23:19
- Patriarchate of Constantinople announces establishment of direct rule over Kiev parishes - Synod decision 11 October 2018, 23:17
- Poroshenko vows to respect rights of believers who remain loyal to Moscow Patriarchate 11 October 2018, 23:16
- Removal of anathema from Filaret forces Russian Orthodox Church to cut Eucharistic communion with Constantinople - Patriarch Kirill's press secretary 11 October 2018, 23:12
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses Constantinople of destroying foundations of Orthodox Church 11 October 2018, 23:10
- Constantinople Patriarchate's Synod revokes legal effect of 1686 tomos entitling Moscow patriarch to ordain Metropolitan of Kiev 11 October 2018, 22:48
- Archbishops' council to convene soon to elect Ukrainian Church leader who will receive tomos from Constantinople - Filaret 11 October 2018, 22:45
- Ukrainian FM Klimkin: Moscow Patriarchate has no business in Ukraine 11 October 2018, 22:39