19 December 2016, 17:39
The Antioch Church criticizes UN of ignoring the future of Syrian monuments and kidnapped bishops
Moscow, December 19, Interfax - The Antioch Orthodox Church official speaks to criticize the UN and UNESCO.
"Today not only our churches are attacked in Syria - the whole old Roman cities are eliminated and even mosques. Who has destroyed the Umayyad Mosque in Aleppo, which is the heritage of the whole world culture? Islamists-radicals did it," the vicar of Patriarch John X bishop Qais of Erzerum said in his interview to the website of the Information and Education Department of the Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
"Why does not the United Nations raise its voice to condemn these people as criminals. Even the UNESCO keeps silence about destruction of cultural sites," he stressed.
The Syrian hierarch also said that future of the kidnapped in 2013 metropolitans of Aleppo Paul and John Ibrahim "is absolutely indifferent to world human rights organizations."
He also told about unusual cases that took place in Syria during the war. Two years ago a shell made a hole in the wall of the Holy Cross Church in Damask during the divine service and stopped before the icon of St. Catherine, "if it had exploded, there would have been thousands victims."
Another incident took place in the renowned Monastery of the Nativity of the Holy Virgin. There exists a custom to make a candle in a person's height. Once a man brought such a candle and asked a nun to light it. He gave this candle to her, went down the stairs and suffered a heart attack.
"Nuns tried to light this candle several times, but failed. Suddenly they heard that someone cried that the man needed help. They came up to him, he turned out to be a Muslim. He talked to the nuns and said: "Be careful, there is dynamite in my candle" and died right on the stair near the entry to the nunnery," the hierarch said.
- Patriarch Kirill diagnosed with Covid-19 30 September 2022, 12:41
- State Duma Council to consider consultations on possible reintroduction of death penalty 27 September 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill calls for spiritual mobilization 27 September 2022, 15:34
- Russia's FSB reports detention a Muslim recruter in Moscow area 27 September 2022, 11:58
- Russian Church warns the West against "slipping into a bestial state" 23 September 2022, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill declares the futility of attempts to intimidate the Russians 19 September 2022, 14:04
- Religious leaders call for ending conflicts, bloodshed in the world at congress in Nur-Sultan 15 September 2022, 14:49
- Some 10,000 believers attending papal mass in Kazakh capital 14 September 2022, 17:16
- Russian Supreme Court brands as terrorist, bans Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan 14 September 2022, 11:42
- Pontiff urges religious leaders to help settle conflicts through dialogue 14 September 2022, 11:41
- Patriarch Kirill: attempts to build world order without relying on moral values led to fierce confrontation 14 September 2022, 11:40
- Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan elected new First Hierarch of Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia 13 September 2022, 20:42
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges world to react to Azerbaijan's actions 13 September 2022, 15:42
- Pope Francis arrives in Kazakhstan's capital 13 September 2022, 15:38
- Russian State Duma may hold hearings on LGBT propaganda ban in Oct-Nov 13 September 2022, 14:50
- Latvian Orthodox Church chooses not to argue with govt about its status 12 September 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill calls Elizabeth II symbol of sustainability of centuries-old traditions for entire Europe 09 September 2022, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church on declaration of Latvian Church's autocephaly by parliament: they surpassed Middle Ages 08 September 2022, 21:45
- Latvian Saeima endorses law on independence of Latvian Orthodox Church 08 September 2022, 19:06
- WCC refuses to accuse Russian Orthodox Church despite pressure 08 September 2022, 17:03
- Court in Primorye overrules order committing Yakutia shaman Gabyshev to hospital 08 September 2022, 10:31
- Russian ombudsman calls for moratorium on death penalty in DPR 07 September 2022, 14:42
- Patriarch Kirill highlights Russia's special role in modern history 06 September 2022, 17:35
- Riga seeking independence of Latvian Orthodox Church from Moscow Patriarchate (updated) 05 September 2022, 17:44
- Russian Orthodox Church outraged by interference of Latvian secular authorities in church affairs 05 September 2022, 15:32
- World Council of Churches refuses to isolate Russian Orthodox Church delegation at its assembly 01 September 2022, 21:32
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses German president of putting pressure on World Council of Churches 01 September 2022, 14:23
- Russian Orthodox Church views Kyiv's sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as PR campaign 31 August 2022, 17:25
- Fines for LGBT propaganda to be from 50,000 to 200,000 rubles for citizens, foreigners may be deported from Russia 31 August 2022, 16:42
- Ukrainian govt approves proposed sanctions against Patriarch Kirill 31 August 2022, 09:56