19 December 2016, 17:39
The Antioch Church criticizes UN of ignoring the future of Syrian monuments and kidnapped bishops
Moscow, December 19, Interfax - The Antioch Orthodox Church official speaks to criticize the UN and UNESCO.
"Today not only our churches are attacked in Syria - the whole old Roman cities are eliminated and even mosques. Who has destroyed the Umayyad Mosque in Aleppo, which is the heritage of the whole world culture? Islamists-radicals did it," the vicar of Patriarch John X bishop Qais of Erzerum said in his interview to the website of the Information and Education Department of the Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
"Why does not the United Nations raise its voice to condemn these people as criminals. Even the UNESCO keeps silence about destruction of cultural sites," he stressed.
The Syrian hierarch also said that future of the kidnapped in 2013 metropolitans of Aleppo Paul and John Ibrahim "is absolutely indifferent to world human rights organizations."
He also told about unusual cases that took place in Syria during the war. Two years ago a shell made a hole in the wall of the Holy Cross Church in Damask during the divine service and stopped before the icon of St. Catherine, "if it had exploded, there would have been thousands victims."
Another incident took place in the renowned Monastery of the Nativity of the Holy Virgin. There exists a custom to make a candle in a person's height. Once a man brought such a candle and asked a nun to light it. He gave this candle to her, went down the stairs and suffered a heart attack.
"Nuns tried to light this candle several times, but failed. Suddenly they heard that someone cried that the man needed help. They came up to him, he turned out to be a Muslim. He talked to the nuns and said: "Be careful, there is dynamite in my candle" and died right on the stair near the entry to the nunnery," the hierarch said.
- Christianity is world's most persecuted religion - Patriarch Kirill 17 May 2018, 18:54
- Granting Ukrainian splinter autocephalous church status would be legal nonsense - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 May 2018, 11:58
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes the world has entered the period of a new 'cold war,' presidents of Russia and the USA should sit at negotiating table 14 May 2018, 15:11
- Eco mosque functioning on solar batteries opened in Ukraine 11 May 2018, 17:33
- Establishing of the so-called one local Church in Ukraine will deepen the existing schism, the UOC official believes 11 May 2018, 17:15
- Jewish Day of Salvation and Liberation promotes understanding among people - Putin 10 May 2018, 13:22
- Russia seeks deeper ties with Islamic states - Putin 10 May 2018, 11:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion hopes local Churches will support canonical Church in Ukraine 08 May 2018, 10:38
- Patriarch Kirill wishes Putin health, strength to fulfill presidential tasks 07 May 2018, 16:08
- Metropolitan Onufry: setting up a united local Church in Ukraine will make us second-rate people 07 May 2018, 15:18
- First time in the new history six Jewish couples got married simultaneously 04 May 2018, 18:40
- Metropolitan Hilarion foresees schism in Orthodoxy compared to the Great Schism if Ukrainian schismatics obtain autocephaly 04 May 2018, 12:36
- Suspected organizer of Aum Shinrikyo sect's unit arrested in Moscow 04 May 2018, 10:33
- Metropolitan Hilarion does not share Patriarch Bartholomew's opinion about inevitable unification of Churches 03 May 2018, 11:17
- Catholicos of All Armenians, Armenian protest leader discuss ways of resolving crisis in country 28 April 2018, 11:07
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for Putin-Trump summit to promote world peace 23 April 2018, 15:09
- Kiev envoy goes to Istanbul with request on Ukrainian autocephaly for Ecumenical patriarch 20 April 2018, 17:35
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges protestors, police to exercise restraints 19 April 2018, 18:24
- Metropolitan Hilarion on situation in Ukraine: secular administration cannot initiate creation of autocephalous Church (updated) 19 April 2018, 14:41
- Rada speaker hopes for approval of autocephalous Ukrainian Orthodox Church by late July 19 April 2018, 14:37
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's autocephaly is geopolitical issue – Poroshenko 19 April 2018, 14:20
- Actions aimed at dividing church are not welcome - Peskov on situation in Ukraine 19 April 2018, 12:52
- Poroshenko to phone Patriarch Bartholomew to discuss autocephaly of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 19 April 2018, 12:43
- Rada backs Poroshenko request for Ecumenical Patriarch on setting up autocephalous local Orthodox Church in Ukraine (updated) 19 April 2018, 12:04
- Identical monuments to St. John of Kronstadt will be set up in Russia, USA and Germany 18 April 2018, 19:57
- Syrian mufti plans visit to Russia 18 April 2018, 12:10
- Unity of Russian Orthodox Church must be supported by all Orthodox Churches - Metropolitan Hilarion (updated) 17 April 2018, 20:00
- The Moscow Patriarchate official urges to pray for not allowing World War III 17 April 2018, 18:58
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis urge world leaders to relieve tensions in international relations 17 April 2018, 18:15
- Head of House of Romanov suggests waiting patiently for results of comprehensive analysis of "Yekaterinburg remains" 16 April 2018, 10:17