27 December 2016, 13:23
Patriarch Kirill calls victims of Tu-154 crash symbols of national life and pride
Moscow, December 27, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia calls Tu-154 plane crash over the Black Sea a national tragedy.
"I would like to start our session with deepest condolences to relatives, friends, all our people in connection with the tragedy that took place over the Black Sea. The people who died can be considered symbols of our national life, our pride," the patriarch said before the session of the Holy Synod on Tuesday in Moscow.
He said that the Academic Alexandrov Ensemble of the Russian Army was not just an artistic musical collective.
"It was a personification of the country's Armed Forces, it was an expression of patriotism. Their work has always inspired people, mobilized people for good undertakings," the primate stressed.
He also recalled Yelizaveta Glinka, "a doctor, who worked hard to help children, especially those who suffered from the grave conflict in east Ukraine."
"We can say much almost about everyone who died. It is really a tragedy that deeply injured the hearts of absolute majority of our citizens. Ways of God are unknown, no one knows His will. It is impossible to apply human criteria to work of the divine providence. We are always mistaken. We will bring our narrow-mindness, our sickness to these assessments," the patriarch said.
According to him, through such events "God does not punish, does not hold His judgement, but for some reason let such things happen, and it is important for us to keep prayerful memory of those who died in our hearts."
A short requiem service was held afterwards.
The Defense Ministry's Tupolev Tu-154B-2 plane disappeared from the radars several minutes after taking off in Sochi on Sunday morning. According to the most recent information, the plane was carrying 92 people, including servicemen, journalists, the Alexandrov song and dance ensemble and Yelizaveta Glinka, the head of the foundation Fair Aid. They were en route to Syria.
The airliner crashed into the Black Sea near the coast of Sochi. A criminal case has been opened.
- FJCR outraged by televiewers' vote, who called ISIL supporter "Person of the Week" 16 January 2017, 18:11
- Moscow Patriarchate church in Kiev pelted with Molotov cocktails 16 January 2017, 15:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia head to take pilgrimage to Russia on occasion of 100th anniversary of October Revolution 11 January 2017, 16:35
- Abortions banned for one day in the Yaroslavl Region to commemorate the Bethlehem babies 11 January 2017, 15:35
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Syria 09 January 2017, 16:36
- Azerbaijan has no plans to join Islamic military bloc so far 09 January 2017, 14:41
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Hungary 09 January 2017, 10:57
- Putin's Christmas message notes Russian Orthodox Church's role in preserving civil peace, accord 09 January 2017, 10:50
- Lenin should be buried, but the most important is not to inflict harm, the Russian church official believes 06 January 2017, 16:22
- Church will release results of the Yekaterinburg relics expertise by the second quarter of 2017 06 January 2017, 16:20
- Moscow Center of Tolerance carries out international children action to back up migrants 06 January 2017, 15:54
- Rabbi Lazar condemns Soviet past, calls to bury body of Lenin 06 January 2017, 15:53
- Two Israelis suspected of intentionally damaging Jesus on Cross statue in Ukraine's Uman 03 January 2017, 21:30
- The Russian Church suggests fining for abusive language in public places 30 December 2016, 14:44
- Patriarch Kirill believes the word 'celebrations' inappropriate to 100th anniversary of October revolt 30 December 2016, 13:00
- Changes that took place in 2016 withdrew a threat menacing the world - Patriarch Kirill 30 December 2016, 12:24
- Doctors recommend the Georgian Patriarch to go to Germany for treatment, but he refuses 29 December 2016, 19:05
- Ukrainian government promotes interests of sexual minorities in spite of church protests 29 December 2016, 17:14
- Rabbi Lazar makes offer to Putin to set up tolerance centers in other Russian cities along with Moscow 28 December 2016, 18:48
- Putin wishes Russian Jews happiness, well-being 28 December 2016, 18:47
- Investigators toughen charge against imam of Yardyam Mosque suspected of justifying terrorism 28 December 2016, 12:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls victims of Tu-154 crash symbols of national life and pride 27 December 2016, 13:23
- Worship cross to commemorate polar explorers will be set up in Arctic 27 December 2016, 12:38
- Patriarch Kirill offers his Christmas greetings to the Pope of Rome 26 December 2016, 17:56
- Patriarch Kirill prays for repose of victims dead in Tu-154 crash 26 December 2016, 10:35
- The battle against Judaist yoke's author fined 100,000 rubles for extremist calls 23 December 2016, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls against understating achievements of Soviet administration, troubles that hit country 22 December 2016, 18:46
- Moscow security officers detain members of Tablighi Jamaat extremist cell led by foreign emissaries 22 December 2016, 18:41
- Moscow court sentences former Moscow State University student Ivanova (Karaulova) to 4.5 years in prison 22 December 2016, 18:38
- FJCR sees Uman incident as result of glorifying radical nationalists in Ukraine 22 December 2016, 15:59