23 January 2017, 10:09
Former apostolic nuncio to Russia who made a breakthrough in Orthodox-Catholic dialogue transferred to Vatican
London, January 23, Interfax - Papal nuncio to Great Britain, who had been nuncio to Russia, Archbishop Antonio Mennini is to be transferred to Rome to serve in the Secretariat of State, the department responsible for foreign relations.
British cardinal Vincent Nichols was quoted by the Catholic Herald website as saying that he highly praised Mennini and pointed out to his "unique experience and knowledge."
The State Secretariat where the nuncio will work is in fact Vatican's government. It has not been reported yet what post Mennini will occupy.
Period of the archbishop's work in Moscow was marked by significant improvement of relations between the Russian Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church, which according to the Moscow Patriarchate hierarchs', had been almost broken up in early 2000s. One of the main problems was Catholics' active missionary work in Russia and the Russian Church had long time reproached Vatican for it.
From his first days as apostolic nuncio to Moscow Mennini stressed it was important for Catholics to respect Orthodox church tradition.
Mennini more than once backed up the Russian Church in its socially important initiatives. Thus, the Archbishop welcomed the ideas of introducing institute of chaplains in the Russian Army and "Foundations of Orthodox Culture" in schools. He also opposed the reproaches of the Moscow Patriarchate in "clericization" of society.
Archbishop Mennini was born on September 2, 1947, in Rome. On December 14, 1974, he was ordained priest, and in April 1981 he entered upon the Holy See's diplomatic service.
He served in the Vatican's embassies in Uganda and Turkey and later in the Vatican's state secretariat. On July 1, 2000, the Pope of Rome appointed him his representative in Bulgaria and in September of the same year he was elevated to the rank of archbishop.
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25
- Archbishops' Council of Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready to meet with Ukrainian president, but on church soil - statement 13 November 2018, 19:05
- Poroshenko no-show at Kiev Monastery of the Caves to meet with Ukrainian Church clergy 13 November 2018, 17:13
- Metropolitan of Kiev denounces attempts to turn church into 'political tool' 13 November 2018, 17:03
- Chernigov clergy remain committed to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 13 November 2018, 16:59
- Zhitomir Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 13 November 2018, 10:49
- Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine 12 November 2018, 18:41
- Putin stresses importance of friendly relations between Russia, Muslim countries 12 November 2018, 15:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church not to participate in unifying assembly – chancellor 12 November 2018, 13:29
- Patriarch Kirill sends priest to Istanbul to care for Russian believers after severance of relations with Constantinople 12 November 2018, 13:25
- Unification assembly in Ukraine unlikely to be held before end of Nov - media 09 November 2018, 17:20
- Lugansk Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 09 November 2018, 10:59
- Rector of Moscow Theological Academy added to Mirotvorets database (updated) 08 November 2018, 18:11
- Ukraine's border service comments on denial of entry to rector of Moscow Theological Academy 08 November 2018, 16:09
- Poroshenko ignored millions of Ukrainians in statement on Russian Orthodox Church's place - Moscow Patriarchate 08 November 2018, 14:58
- Moscow Theological Academy rector barred from Ukraine 08 November 2018, 11:10
- Moscow Patriarchate says Church Poroshenko offered to return 'home to Russia' consists of Ukrainian citizens 08 November 2018, 10:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church accuses President Poroshenko of breaking Ukrainian constitution which guarantees church protection 08 November 2018, 10:55
- Activity of radical youth groups sharply increases in Russia - FSB 07 November 2018, 18:56
- Poroshenko signs law on transferring church in Kiev to Ecumenical Patriarchate 07 November 2018, 18:03
- Russian Orthodox Church has no business in Ukraine – Poroshenko 07 November 2018, 14:45
- Russian Church considers opening of additional parishes abroad for its believers in regard of break with Constantinople 06 November 2018, 11:52
- A new science of destructology appears in Russia 06 November 2018, 11:35
- Russian Church doubtful the mental health of Constantinople representative who announced the revision of the ROC's current status 06 November 2018, 11:09
- Ukrainian Church recalls Constantinople that he doesn't exist for more than 500 years 06 November 2018, 10:49