26 January 2017, 14:59
Duma deputy speaker Tolstoy explains himself to FJCR
Moscow, January 26, Interfax - State Duma Deputy Speaker Pyotr Tolstoy (United Russia) has spoken to the leader of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia (FJCR) Alexander Boroda to explain his position regarding recent remarks he made during a discussion of a handover of St. Isaac's Cathedral to the Russian Orthodox Church.
According to Tolstoy, he did not have in mind any nationality when he was talking about people vandalizing religious shrines, Tolstoy said.
"Pyotr Tolstoy and Alexander Boroda shook hands in sign of reconciliation," an eyewitness of the event told Interfax.
The reconciliation took place in the State Duma which on Thursday is hosting Christmas parliamentary readings involving Patriarch Kirill.
Later Tolstoy told journalists: "There was no conflict. There were some suspicions and accusations addressed to me, I explained my position, it was met with understanding. I don't see any problem."
"And as far as I know, Alexander Moiseyevich [Boroda] sees no problems either," the parliamentarian said.
On January 23, Tolstoy said at a press conference regarding a discussion around the handover of the St. Isaac's Cathedral that "the people who are grandchildren and great-grandchildren of those, who had demolished our churches, having escaped from the Pale of Settlement armed with a handgun in 1917, are continuing the work of their grandparents and great-grandparents today, while working in various reputable places, such as radio stations and the legislative assembly."
Many saw these remarks as signs of anti-Semitism, chief among the critics of Tolstoy was the FJCR which saw clear signs of anti-Semitism in his remarks.
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28