26 January 2017, 19:51
Medvedev notes need to counter ethnic, religious xenophobia
Moscow, January 26, Interfax - The Holocaust tragedy graphically demonstrated what sort of threat anti-Semitism poses to the world; ethnic and religious xenophobia is taking a new monstrous form as terrorism, Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said.
The head of government visited the Jewish Museum and Tolerance Center on Thursday on the eve of the International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of the Holocaust. The prime minister recalled that on this day in 1945 the Red Army liberated the Auschwitz concentration camp from the fascists.
"The Holocaust is one of the most horrible Nazi crimes. Six million Jews were killed in the Nazi 'factories of death'. In the territory of the Soviet Union alone, according to various estimates, 2.7 million Jews perished. This is why the tragedy of the Jewish people we are taking with special pain as a catastrophe, which concerns each of us, regardless of faith," Medvedev said after a tour of the museum exposition.
"What happened there cannot be forgotten in order not to allow the repetition of the tragedy," the prime minister also said.
The Holocaust apparently showed what sort of threat anti-Semitism and chauvinism present, how easily civilization can cross the line beyond which atrocities and barbarism begin, he said.
"And today, it is greatly regretful that ethnic, religious xenophobia is taking a new ugly form - terrorism; this is the same lethal ideology and the same maniacal wish to kill and destroy," Medvedev said.
The government recently adopted the special state program on the implementation of national policy with accord in Russian society being the primary principle, the prime minister said.
"Your museum, the Federation of Jewish Communities are doing much for people in our country to be tolerant to each other. This is not only one of the largest Jewish museums, but also one of the most highly technological and interactive [museums], which combines perfect technological solutions and high emotional intensity," Medvedev also said.
He underlined the importance of the visit to the museum by children and young people, for whom interesting educational programs are available.
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28