30 January 2017, 11:08
Requiem service conducted at Ambassador Karlov's tomb on the 40th day of his death
***The Russian Church hopes wish of the assassinated ambassador to build an Orthodox church in Ankara will be fulfilled
Moscow, January 30, Interfax - Requiem service for Russian Ambassador to Turkey Andrey Karlov was conducted last Friday, on the 40th day after his death in St. Vladimir Church at the Moscow Region cemetery, where he was buried.
Deputy head of the Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Nikolay Balashov, rector of the church Sergy Kulikov and priest Ilya Boyarsky, who was spiritual father of the ambassador and his widow, conducted the service.
The ambassador's mother, his son and wife, relatives and friends attended the service. Short requiem service was also held at his tomb.
"Andrey Gennadyevich left grateful memory in people's hearts. He achieved not only civil immortality, which means that he occupies memorable place in the Russian history, but also a warm prayer of many people, who knew him personally and those, who did not know him, for the repose of this outstanding person and Christian," Father Nikolay Balashov told Interfax-Religion.
He expressed hope that posthumously Karlov's "ardent wish" to build an Orthodox church at the Russian Embassy in Ankara would be fulfilled.
"He even prepared the project of this church. Today we discussed this topic with his widow Marina Mikhailovna and colleagues from the Foreign Ministry," the priest said.
Karlov was killed in Ankara on December 19, when opening a photo exhibition. According to the Turkish Ministry of Interior, the attacker was 22-year-old policeman Mevlut Mert Altintas. He shot Karlov dead with several shots of a pistol and explained his actions as an opposition to Russian policy in Syria. Russia's Foreign Ministry described his actions as a "terrorist attack." Karlov was posthumously given the dignity of a Hero of Russia.
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28